Non stick on gaskets?

-

Mean416

Reaction score
Curious if anyone has had any success using non-stick coating on intake gasket to make intake removal easier? Possibly even reuse the gaskets.

Think Vaseline film for instance?

Chap stick seems to work very well on carburetor bowl gaskets. I'm guessing that's the same as petroleum jelly.

Of course, this could also be stupid as hell and a bad idea. Just looking to see if anyone has tried anything successfully.

Curious if anyone has had any success using non-stick coating on intake gasket to make intake removal easier? Possibly even reuse the gaskets.

Chap stick seems to work very well on carburetor bowl gaskets. I'm guessing that's the same as petroleum jelly.

Of course, this could also be stupid as hell and a bad idea. Just looking to see if anyone has tried anything successfully.

Maybe except around the ports, might leave up to 3/8" to get sealed, but I use a very light skim coat of RTV around each port and any water port.

I don't think Chap Stick would stay because of the heat, but how about something like a non stick silicone based cooking spray, like those made to go directly on the grill? That would probably work, I bet. .....and nothin stupid about it.

When I want a gasket to be non stick such as carb bowl gaskets, base gaskets and intake side gaskets, I spray them with WD-40. Let soak wipe any excess, assemble.

wheel bearing works very well, easy to wipe off and replace. gasket seals, no sticky.

I use to vaseline the intake side of hemi gaskets , for what its worth , Tom Hoover suggested it ---

I ended up just applying dry. It's a new engine and I need it to work properly for initial setup. Maybe after I get some miles on it I'll try this out. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I always use never seize for gaskets in flanged piping connections at work. But have never tried using it on a motor.

Grease. Been used since the invention of gaskets.

I ended up just applying dry. It's a new engine and I need it to work properly for initial setup. Maybe after I get some miles on it I'll try this out. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

ur kinda backwards on ur thinking, vaseline is used to help the intake slide into its supposed position , which it does just a hair , when u tighten it down.
if u got it w/o it , dont worry about it .

-
Back