Nostalgic 360 Combo (Photos)

-

MR4V

Reaction score
Building a era 70s Dart Swinger as you can see I think it's pretty close.
DSCF3253.jpg

Picked up a correct date code 360, I was told it was stock but when I pulled it down I was supprised to find. J heads with 2.02 inlet, 1.60 exhaust, standard rockers, double value springs.
DSCF3565.jpg

DSCF3563.jpg

Block has standard bore, zero deck, forged pistons, ARP rod & main bolts, standard crack, balanced & HV oil pump.
DSCF3557-1.jpg

Now the engine will take a hone, rings & bearings, heads will need a reco.
What I'm after is a nostalgic cam, inlet, carbie & sump combo. I was told that Dodge dealers use to fit Offy inlet manifolds, Carter carbie & soild cams as a after market offer is this correct?

My combo so far is 3.70 diff, tricked 904 with no stally as I have not choosen a cam, tyres will be 26" to 28".
Can anyone help me with a nostalgic or period correct combo?

I need to ask advice like that as well, so no help. I did want to say nice car and great score on the engine!

Building a era 70s Dart Swinger as you can see I think it's pretty close.
Looks good.

Picked up a correct date code 360, I was told it was stock but when I pulled it down I was supprised to find. J heads with 2.02 inlet, 1.60 exhaust, standard rockers, double value springs.
Double valve springs or a single valve spring and damper?

Block has standard bore, zero deck, forged pistons, ARP rod & main bolts, standard crack, balanced & HV oil pump.
Standard crank I think you ment???
Are the bores worn out? The rings good? It would be a shame to throw away a great starting point with forged slugs and a zero deck height on them to boot.

Now the engine will take a hone, rings & bearings, heads will need a reco.
What I'm after is a nostalgic cam, inlet, carbie & sump combo. I was told that Dodge dealers use to fit Offy inlet manifolds, Carter carbie & soild cams as a after market offer is this correct?

Over here...... Mom MoPar never ever installed an aftermarket intake except the Edelbrock 6 pak intake. Period, bottom line...never.

MoPar's side arm race dept. was called the "Direct Connection" since you were directly connected to them. Just walk up and sak for what you want.

They also offered books on this. The "Engines" book was a big info book with listed parts to the speed or actually, "ET" you wanted to run. In the old days, before Chrysler Corp. had a department designing there own stuff, Direct Connection sold Edelbrock parts over the counter and still sell Holley carbs. I never remembered seeing a Offy sold through them. The only one ever mentioned in ther books is the Port-o-sonic. A single plane race intake.

They did offer Edelbrock intakes.
The LD4B for the smaller 2 engines, the LD340 for the larger engines. (Both small block intakes.)
Typical carb size offerings were the Holley 3310 model, a 750 cfm unit with vacuum secondaries. This 4160 style carb was found everywhere back in the day. OR, it was a double pumper.
They also still offer there own line of cams. There not the most street freindly or up to date cams, but they work as intended.

They range from smaller than stock to out right drag race only. Nyd, solid or roller. Your choice. (Rollers are very large cams.)

My combo so far is 3.70 diff, tricked 904 with no stally as I have not choosen a cam, tyres will be 26" to 28".
Can anyone help me with a nostalgic or period correct combo?

A typical combo fitting your stock stall and gear ratio would look something like;
A Holley 3310 (Or a 750 cfm carb)
LD340 inlet
Headers (extractors)
And a stock 340 replacement cam working with bowl ported heads and there matched springs. The replacement cam has a narrower centerline for a choppy idle and more lift. Just a tad more.
I'd stick with 26 inch tires with the 3.70 gears.

Next cam up in the MoPar line up would need a higher stall converter and gear ratio. Like a 2500 stall (min.) and 4.10 gears.

Thanks rumblefish360
Hard to get the correct information here as there are so many bench racer experts.

Yes I did mean single springs with a damper.
The crank is stock other than a balance & oil holes shamphered, the bottom end is in very good but I will replace the rings, bearings & oil pump for my own peace of mind.

Picked up " How to hot rod small block Mopar engines " by HP books & the combination I was looking at is 340/360 stage 1V consisting of
Hydraulic cam SH4-P5007695
Rocker 1.5 stock ( thinking of changing this to rollers )
Recoing the heads I have
New rings, bearings & HV oil pump
Standard electronic distributor with a chrome control unit
Intake manifold SP- P4452891
750 vac sec Holley
Headers
2500 stally, tricked 904
Rear end 3.70
What do you think?

Remember I want the 70s look in the engine bay, thats why I asked about the 70s combo. This include engine dress up gear.

Good book.
I think the intake to much for the cam and gear. It could be workable with a T-Q on top, but they can be a pain to deal with. OR, step up on the cam with the single plane intake. The cam (MP's 284/.484) can use a good dual plane inlet.
Heads could use a bowl porting at a min.
Stall converter to suite the cam and cars gear/weight.
Go for the roller rockers if the pocket can handle it. Pushrod length critical with there useage.
If you step up in cam size, use the bigger tube headers.

For dress up items, things that wer popular back in the day around here were;

Plain ol'chrome air cleaner
1 of 4 valve covers were often used. Plain ol'chrome, MoPar's Black Wrinkle, Holley/M/T valve covers.
Braided lines for every line. Vacuum, heater, fuel, everything braided. (Fake braided lines exceptable)
Chromed parts like Fuel pump, brake res. cap, Alt. and sometimes P/S pumps were done.

Wheels were almost allways ethier Keystones by Cragar and there typical 5 spoke wheel or Centerlines. The "Outlaw" or there soild offerings. Chrome, Polished or Stain. And as wide as you can go. Don't let the wheel lip stop you ethier. It was common to see a tire out of the wheel housing by 1 - 2 inchs.
Air Shocks were often used for rake stances or longer shackles. (9 - 10 inchs long) ,set in the desired hole for rake and/or rear height. Mr. Gasket rear shock extentions may be needed. They still sell them.
CB ant. and a way to loud stereo with Pioneer equipment.
And of course, ethier fuzzy dice or a stuffed Cartoon doll next to you. Bugs Bunny, Taz, etc......

Hey there MR4V -
Great looking basis for your '70s-style build.
I've got to disagree with Rumblefish on some of the 'dress-up' tips. Maybe they were accurate for his area on the East Coast, but you'd get laughed off of the street if you showed up on Whittier Blvd. in SoCal with some of them.
Here's what was hot (and what was not) back in the '70s in SoCal:
Engine dress up:
* Either chrome or cast aluminum polished finned valve covers. The Edelbrock classic series covers are about the only 'correct' ones left since the fins extend down over both ends of the valve covers (here's a link http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/accessories/vcc_classic.shtml)
If you want to put in the extra effort, you can match your engine block color between the fins.
* Other underhood chrome accessories as Rumblefish said. You might also add a chrome dipstick.
Wheels
* Either Cragar S/S, polished aluminum slotted, or American Racing Torque-Thrust
* Air shocks to kick the tail up some for the right look - but DO NOT let the rear tires extend out past the body line. That's a definite SoCal NO-NO.
Interior
* Sun 'Super' Tach either on your steering column or on your dash, just recently re-released with modern electronics for the period correct look. The 'hot' ticket in SoCal was to put a fancy lacy ladies garter around your tach (that was from your girlfriend back then)
* Wood steering wheel with 3 chromed spokes - see Grant steering wheels
* Aftermarket guages in a 3-guage cluster under the dash - Stewart Warner was the hot setup back then as AutoMeter was just getting started
* Also, for a SoCal look, DO NOT even think about a CB antenna, fuzzy dice, or stuffed animal.

Good luck with your build and whatever 'Coast' style you choose.

OC! You bropught back some more memories and things I forgotten. American Racing Torque-Thrust, Sun 'Super' Tach either on your steering column or on your dash, Wood steering wheel with 3 chromed spokes - see Grant steering wheels
* Aftermarket guages in a 3-guage cluster under the dash - Stewart Warner was the hot setup

YES YES YES!

Alotta guys would have a stuffed Road Runner

ok oc got a tear in my eye now, was a punk kid then barely looking over the fenders, my fondest memory was real AAR Cuda with a 340, the little side skirts on the front fenders, bright yellow......ah my first love.....
Dodge29

Have the Grant wood 3 spoke wheel which I picked up from Summit.
Noticed the " Super Sun Tach " has been released.
Still have a garter from my first.
Its manly the engine combo that I'm having trouble with, in Australia it was chrome air cleaner, Holley value covers, braided line & anything & everthing chromed.
I will check out the links tonight.
Thanks

-
Back