Not A Car Guy

-

JeffTheMarine

Reaction score
I have never had anything but problems with any vehicle I have ever owned. I bought a brand new car with 3 miles on it and had problems with it. I have owned several used cars. Most of which are Mopars and never had anything but problems with them. I know people that buy cars for 200 dollars and drive the dog piss out of them and they last them for years. I cant touch a car without something going wrong with the damn thing. I literally without exaggeration have something go wrong with my Demon on a weakly basis. Automatic trans goes out so I convert it to a 4 speed and add an 8 3/4. Get it put together and the freeze plug behind the flywheel start leaking. Replace those then the pinion bearing goes bad. Then the tranny chews up a pilot bushing. Then the master cylinder goes out. Then I buy a used manual steering box and it is bad. Now there is another leak that I think is coming from the back of the drivers side head in the freeze plug. Then I run over a wheel weight in the middle of the road and blow out a brand new 275/60/15 Radial T/A. I am frickin' done. I was NOT born to be a car guy.

Who wants to buy a 71 Demon that truly is a Demon.......

Jeff

The wheel weight could have had happened to anyone. I hope your luck changes, we have all been there before.

it's all how you think about it, we buy the 200 betters and expect them to be beaters, they leak, they are rusty and most of all we don't care!

Hang in there, sounds like when you are all done you will have one sweet demon.

I sometimes have to just walk away for a bit but then I am glad I did instead of selling and then buying something else with other problems.

Hey if it has tits or tires it's going to give you trouble. LOL Hang in there I know it can be hard some times but it takes time to get the bugs worked out of a 40 year old car.

it's all how you think about it, we buy the 200 betters and expect them to be beaters, they leak, they are rusty and most of all we don't care!

Couldn't have said it better! Hang in there dude, luck has a way of turning around.

I wish I could give it up. No matter how much trouble I have or how much money it costs me I just can't quit. Its like having a drug addiction.Good luck in what ever you do and have fun, life is short.

Took a breather and went and looked at it. Turned out the rear header bolt was leaking. This hobby we are in is a pain in the *** though. Its like a damn curse. Thanks for the words of support......

I wish I could be like those douche bags on Barrett Jackson though and just bid up on a completely restored hemi cuda and just enjoy driving it. Those guys disgust me. They screw over average joes like us and never have any problems and if they do they just send it to their mechanic and it comes back all shinny and new again. Must be nice.......

Jeff

I have never had anything but problems with any vehicle I have ever owned. I bought a brand new car with 3 miles on it and had problems with it. I have owned several used cars. Most of which are Mopars and never had anything but problems with them. I know people that buy cars for 200 dollars and drive the dog piss out of them and they last them for years. I cant touch a car without something going wrong with the damn thing. I literally without exaggeration have something go wrong with my Demon on a weakly basis. Automatic trans goes out so I convert it to a 4 speed and add an 8 3/4. Get it put together and the freeze plug behind the flywheel start leaking. Replace those then the pinion bearing goes bad. Then the tranny chews up a pilot bushing. Then the master cylinder goes out. Then I buy a used manual steering box and it is bad. Now there is another leak that I think is coming from the back of the drivers side head in the freeze plug. Then I run over a wheel weight in the middle of the road and blow out a brand new 275/60/15 Radial T/A. I am frickin' done. I was NOT born to be a car guy.

Who wants to buy a 71 Demon that truly is a Demon.......

Jeff

You sound like my brother…. I swear….. If it has wheels my brother stays away from it. He got a flat tire on a shopping cart once.

Hey if it has tits or tires it's going to give you trouble. LOL Hang in there I know it can be hard some times but it takes time to get the bugs worked out of a 40 year old car.

you beat me to it, I have had bad luck like that in the past but I learned from everything and hell now I can wrench and damn near build an entire car from scratch, not many kids my age can do that.....or would be proud of that anyway.

True story here, old but oh so true.

( circa 1969 ) 1964 Plymouth Savoy 2dr post, /6, 3 spd converted to Hurst floor shifter, 3.55 gears, 2 bbl carb, sharp met' blue paint, slotted chrome mags, built up springs and turned up T bars, three class winner stickers from time bracket drags.
For whatever reason the cam dist' gear must have chipped and wouldn't stay in time. Engine swap time. Bought a 58 and 59 DeSoto, one for 383 and the other for twin 4bbl cross ram manifold. Bought 4spd tranny, new RR T bars, K-member, new dual exhaust system, etc,etc.

Big day comes, car not running due to out of time. Garage in alley in back of parents house. Got in, only closed door half a click, friend pushed to corner, turned corner, slight downgrade to alley, did not want to brake and take away momentum, whipped steering wheel to turn into alley, weight hit door, door opened, driver ( em ) fell out, car head on into corner of brick building. That only screwed up the hood, grill, bumber, fender, and knocked door out of alignment due to being open. Driver whined and cried and decided to wait for another day to start engine swap. Pushed car down alley to garage, backing car into garage on starter motor, wiped out passenger door on jamb of garage door, driver cried more, further backed car into garage at which time the 8' steel pry bar laying at angle on shelf over which rear of car would go under came through rear windshield, twisted and poked through rear left side window. Driver then lost any connection with reality and put in AC....with a pick-axe... then gave car to the friend pushing.

Hang in there. It WILL get better.

Hey Jeff -- I love your slogan. Worst excuse we've had for a president since I've been alive. I feel your pain. I've been gathering parts for a /6 to V-8 swap for 2 years. Sometimes I swear I've already bought the part I need and it walked away. Or I order a part only to find it won't fit/wrong part number/isn't what was advertised -- you fill in the blank. The only thing that keeps me going is knowing that when I get done I'll be driving something I don't need a computer to troubleshoot and most people won't even know what I'm driving.

Hey man I know how it is, When I had my dart & built 225..everything around the motor would break....convertor ballon'd, broke the 904 2 twice, killed the 7 1/4 twice, gazillion used radiators that inevitably leaked, had mp header that captured the starter and of corse it went out while across town at a friends=sawsaw, overcharging wire cookin drives home at nite-bad switch, leaky pan after changing the gasket......I been there.
You just gotta step back, crack a beer, and start planning ahead for any foreseen future repair cause it's a bad *** mopar, just a 40 yr old bad *** mopar...so sht needs attention.:goodman:

I had to use that one he he...i don't think I evr seen it used?

Always replace every freeze plug if have access to it.
my buddy that owns a trans shop often replaces the plugs in the back of the block, depending on the shape of the vehicle, just in case....Jeff, relax a bit. The wheel weight is funny. Never purchased a tire warranty on a bike until i bought a replacement tire on the back of my Suzuki. First night riding home from work with the new tire, guess what I hit? Guess what it did? 3 days later, same stretch of road take a guess what I hit again? And what happened??

Lol,ya but cars dont get pms or talk back..and they cant take 50% of your income and your house...

Jeff, many times in my life I have "loudly" proclaimed - I AM NOT A CAR GUY!

Of course, I've also not been a framer, plumber, electrician, windows installer, roofer, computer tech, welder, painter, musician...... etc.

At least it gives you something to strive for lol.

Grant

If you still need a steering box PM me. I have one from my 74 duster that had no slop.

-
Back