Not able to engage gears when running

-

Michael Nelson

1974 Dart Sport 360 4 speed
Reaction score
I have a 74 dart sport with a 360 and a 72 A833. I was driving and it made a weird grinding noise. I was in 4th gear. I slowed down and put it in neutral. After I Parked it I went underneath and saw that the nut for 1/2 gear was loose, I tightened it and it seemed good. I was able to shift from all the gears. I then started my car and it didn't allow me to put it into any gear. I put it in 1st and started it with the clutch pedal to the floor, I got a terrible grinding noise. I then put it in neutral while running pressed the clutch and saw that it didn't disengage the clutch.
Did my pressure plate or clutch just go out or could it be linkage? I'm not familiar with transmissions. If you have any ideas let me know.

One thing to check make sure that the linkage has slipped completely over the tab coming out of the transmission and it's not riding on top.

After rereading your post again it sounds more like a clutch problem, you'll need to jack it up pull the inspection plate and start looking around , check the linkage rod but it kind of sounds internal to me very well could be a throw out bearing.

I have a 74 dart sport with a 360 and a 72 A833. I was driving and it made a weird grinding noise. I was in 4th gear. I slowed down and put it in neutral. After I Parked it I went underneath and saw that the nut for 1/2 gear was loose, I tightened it and it seemed good. I was able to shift from all the gears. I then started my car and it didn't allow me to put it into any gear. I put it in 1st and started it with the clutch pedal to the floor, I got a terrible grinding noise. I then put it in neutral while running pressed the clutch and saw that it didn't disengage the clutch.
Did my pressure plate or clutch just go out or could it be linkage? I'm not familiar with transmissions. If you have any ideas let me know.

Align the shifter levers at the tab ends. Should be a hole you put a rod through or just adjust them so they all line up when in neutral. After thats done tighten all the tabs, double nut them if you have to so they don't come loose routinely

Use Locktite on the nuts. Sounds like there may be more than one issue, time to start looking and learn.

My bet is the clutch/throw out bearing. Jack it up and support it (safely) and get underneath for inspection. Make sure all the linkage is in place. (remember, it worked and then all of a sudden it didn't) Take the inspection cover off and check the throw out bearing. There should be a slight gap between it and the pressure plate fingers. Have someone push on the pedal and watch the action. There should now be a slight gap between the disc and the pressure plate surface.

Last edited:
-
Back