Not an A Body but, what a Mopar restoration !!

-
Reminds me of a saying my dad has.

"Jack up the radiator cap and drive a new car under it"

Seriously, nice car in the pictures, but I'd like to see documentation of "during the process" if I was to drop (like I have it....) that much scratch on a "restored" car. I've found statements like "restored, rebuilt, and rust free" to be very qualitative. "One mans junk is someones treasure." Ever since I've been in the Mopar hobby, it's cracked me up what dropping a Hemi does to the value of a car. Follow the formula:
Nice NON-Hemi Car $15-20K,
Hemi $18-25K,
Car+Hemi=$60k+....disgust

I thought a guy could buy this car and swap the hemi for a 340 and make out. The price is kinda high though - but what is a 426 Hemi worth anyways?

http://preview.tinyurl.com/Hemifish

Looking at that GTX and my 67 parts fish I would say the 67 is definately much better shape. I suppose I will have to sell off the car shell after I get done taking the interior and doors from it.

I thought a guy could buy this car and swap the hemi for a 340 and make out. The price is kinda high though - but what is a 426 Hemi worth anyways?

http://preview.tinyurl.com/Hemifish

Looking at that GTX and my 67 parts fish I would say the 67 is definately much better shape. I suppose I will have to sell off the car shell after I get done taking the interior and doors from it.

:rolleyes: I know, the price of 340's isn't very cheap anymore. Maybe that car has a 440 with faux Hemi valve covers. I've seen it, even on a Chevy.....:roll:

"we called AMD and ordered the entire catalog then made sure to keep the few pices of metal that have the vins....... "

Doing resto work for a living I can honestly say thats about the only way they did it.

I guess at least they know they have a solid rust free car now lol

Wow what an amazing story and I think I may have a small connection to it. My friend at work was originally from Peurto Rico. He used to spend hours telling me about about him and his buddies racing Mopars back home. He had a 69 Hemi Charger. He also told me of other Hemi cars, a 440-6 Cuda and lots of 340 cars. It was not BS. He would tell me all about how the Solid lifter Hemis fared against the hydraulic ones and how the 440-6 would get him out of the hole every time only to get smoked at the big end. From 100mph, nothin touch a hemi he'd say. He said the last he saw of his car it was stripped out and rotting away in a someone's yard .I always said, Bernie lets go get it, but he would always say nothin left but dust. Seeing that X, I know what he meant! He's retired now but next time I see him I'm going to ask him about the GTX. I guarantee he'll have some stories about it.

Wow what an amazing story and I think I may have a small connection to it. My friend at work was originally from Peurto Rico. He used to spend hours telling me about about him and his buddies racing Mopars back home. He had a 69 Hemi Charger. He also told me of other Hemi cars, a 440-6 Cuda and lots of 340 cars. It was not BS. He would tell me all about how the Solid lifter Hemis fared against the hydraulic ones and how the 440-6 would get him out of the hole every time only to get smoked at the big end. From 100mph, nothin touch a hemi he'd say. He said the last he saw of his car it was stripped out and rotting away in a someone's yard .I always said, Bernie lets go get it, but he would always say nothin left but dust. Seeing that X, I know what he meant! He's retired now but next time I see him I'm going to ask him about the GTX. I guarantee he'll have some stories about it.

Let us know if you get any info, that would be quite interesting :thumrigh:

Reserve not met @ $60,000 .
Damn ... 5 - 6 years ago , this same "X" would've sold for twice that !

I'd personally just sit on it for a few years ; too tough to sell something like this with this stagnate economy .

I personally don't care that it was "rebodied" . I'd rather see that -- at least there are photos of how the car looked prior to its rebirth -- than see a Satellite v.i.n. of , say , RH23G0A , with a transplanted Hemi in it .

I wonder how the dash v.i.n. was re-screened with the "Chrysler Corporation" printing ? Does someone make a template for that ?

Reserve not met @ $60,000 .
Damn ... 5 - 6 years ago , this same "X" would've sold for twice that !

you sure? a pieced together car like that never seems to bring the money others that have way less metal work done. just look at that barrel cuda. that guy took out loans against his house to build that car thinking he will get big money for that car. 3 years later he is still taking it to shows because he can't sell the damn thing. personally i think its because of the way it was pieced back together f..

I wonder how the dash v.i.n. was re-screened with the "Chrysler Corporation" printing ? Does someone make a template for that ?

yes someone sells it.. maybe ECS.. not sure though.

That’s a great question for debate, at what point is a car no longer "original numbers matching" ??
There are very few "mint condition" cars that haven't had parts or pieces replaced, to what extent, is the question.
The bottom line is, it's really great that some people are actually willing to take on a project of this magnitude and save one of these beasts !
Restoring classic cars is a hobby, it's enjoyable, expensive, time consuming and usually very frustrating. For me personally, I will stand and applaud :salut: those who re-create these disappearing wonders and I can only hope that the trend continues.
Let's not question or demean someone’s choices of their projects, I'm sure people have looked at some of my cars over the years and wondered why too. To them I say: "cause I like it" :thumrigh:

"Let's not question or demean someone’s choices of their projects, I'm sure people have looked at some of my cars over the years and wondered why too. To them I say: 'cause I like it'"

X2.

although, I wouldn't touch it myself, I have to congratulate the owner for the saving it. A thick wallet and no brains, lol, just joking!!!! has kept something out of the crusher. sweet looking no matter how you turn it, so I say, good luck with the auction.

:hello1:

yes someone sells it.. maybe ECS.. not sure though.

Yes, ECS sells the vin decal.

Dont get me wrong guys, its a beautiful car and was a ton of work and Im glad to see it saved. But to me its nothing more then a rebody the hard way. The only parts left from the original car are the numbers.

Dont get me wrong guys, its a beautiful car and was a ton of work and Im glad to see it saved. But to me its nothing more then a rebody the hard way. The only parts left from the original car are the numbers.

i agree 100%

i agree with dpbhemi
very nice restoration of the car but the originality is gone kinda goes into the rebodied thing in a whole new light , heck it might aswell just have been a vin tag on the beach at whatever country they found it in

I don't think showing the "before" pics in this case is a good marketing move. I've got a rust free AZ Valiant and pics of it in bare metal. Now that is something to see.

To call this car just a rebody is an insult really. Having been in the body shop field for years I can attest to the amount of work that car would be.

I give full credit to the owner. A resto like this isnt done for $$,but for the love of the car or the pride of saying "look what we did"! Truly an astonishing resto!

I guess on a fundamental level, the body in white is just another car part no different than an oil filter or a brake drum. If its no good, change it. The minefield is created because the oil filter and brake drums don't have the VIN stamped in them. So long as its represented as what it is, I have no problem with it.

-
Back