Not Fast, just "Less Slow"

-
There _could_ be a difference between really old tires and newer ones. Modern tires are mainly synthetic rubber which have softeners in them. These softeners creep out of the material which lead to harder tires that crack.

I'm not sure, but older tires could have more - or only - natural rubber which is soft in itself and could then last longer.

But I couldn't quantify this.

when tires blow out like that, it comes from running them with low pressure resulting in sidewall damage. I know lots of folks will buy used tires from the local shop to use for projects. before they mount them, take a glance inside. if there looks/feels like a scuffed or discolored ring around the inside, pass on that tire despite what the tread looks like.

when a tire is rotated properly, ran with proper pressure, but just not used often such as trailers, fair weather cruisers, racecars, etc, the tires as stated, can still dry out and break down. I have personally used this product for years on my car trailer, and my vintage race tires for my Zink C4 FV. I have a VERY rare set of vintage legal rain tires that were originally purchased in 1977. They no longer hold air, so I run them with tubes at 8/10psi. Using this product, they are still sticky and I'm one of the only guys in the club that can truly run hard in the rain.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=9220

After going back and forth on the issue of a stock clutch or HD, I bought the HD. What this got me was a 10" disc instead of the 9-1/4". It still uses the stock flywheel that came in the car and the cover is scalloped out in the bolt area. It is my understanding that it was used for taxi service and other heavy duty use. (like turbos?) Including later F-bodies.

Other than the engine hoist tipping over it went right together but then I noticed that the O.D. of the clutch disc was in close proximity to the hex heads on the pressure plate attaching screws. Uh oh, some were even touching. I had another week before the engine went in the car so I had time to mull it over. I was thinking of making a spacer tube maybe 1/4" long that would go under the bolt heads so it had a smaller diameter beside the disc OD. Seemed to be a lot of trouble so I bought a pack of 12 point heads that sure enough were smaller but I wasn't happy with the reduced area under the heads. The car was still 30 miles away and I didn't have a clutch cover handy to check it out. Then I had a vague recollection of a special bolt. So I checked Brewer's web site and sire enough, there they were. I ordered a set of 6 and with shipping it came to about $38.

Next weekend my son helped me out. First order of business was reinstall the straightened oil pan with new gaskets. Much easier on an engine stand with the engine upside down. A little more challenging with it suspended from a chain but far easier than doing it in the car.

I left the bellhousing off until I had the special bolts but the engine went in without much trouble. It was a coordinated effort to drop the engine a little, move the Cherry Picker, drop the engine, etc. It helped when it got close to angle the engine about 45 degrees. It barely fit! These suckers are long!

Attachments

• P1020232.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 20160228_181146.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 20160228_181239.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 20160228_181230.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 151
  • P1020580.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 116
  • P1020236.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 118
  • P1020234.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 123
Last weekend I had six $6 screws for the clutch cover in hand so that was the first thing I did. Took the originals out one-by-one and replaced them with the specials. Put the Bell Housing on next. Dragged the 3 speed manual tranny under the car and with Jason's help (laying on cardboard of course), bolted it to the BH. After typically working with heavy A833 4 speed trannys over the years, this 3 speed is a lightweight in comparison. Everything seems to be 3/4 scale on this car except the length of the engine.

Anyway, we installed the crossmember and just like that, the car was ready for transportation to it's new home, the garage in my current backyard. I dig the original red overspray on the BH, proving that the engine was factory painted with it installed but decided not to do that. Picture is before painting it with Eastwood Alumacast. Nobody but Ulf would notice anyway.

The rear brakes have no guts yet, just the drums on the end of the axle shafts. I have new parts but couldn't take the time to install everything as this car has to move as soon as I can get it rolling. Also need to bend two more brake lines so right now my brake is a hunk of wood under the tire.

Attachments

• P1160054.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 108
  • P1170406.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 117
  • P1020581.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 100
Nothing much new. I looked at the weather reports and took March 8th off from work, a Tuesday, to move the val to it's new home. 75 degree in March was nice.

I had reserved a U-Haul car trailer in advance and Jason met me there at 9:30. He has a pretty new F-250 with a towing package. it's kind of a large service station off a major highway. While getting the paperwork done. a mechanic type came in and asked if I was the one who called about the Valiant. (U-haul requires info about the car being hauled and the tow vehicle) I said yeah and he said he bought one from an old lady for $100 when he lived in Florida. Don drove it a pretty long time before he got T-boned in the driver side fender. The poor Val was totaled but he said it held up well. His legs were trapped so had injuries but he said the car held up well. He reminisced for awhile before we left to pick up the car.

Funny thing is, when I called for the reservation, the young woman on the phone had asked me what kind of car a Plymouth was. Huh? "You know, is it a Ford or what?" No It's a Plymouth Valiant, not a Ford. Plymouth is the make. Valiant is the model.

Jason doesn't like to tow so I did the driving. :) We drove about 6 miles or so to where the car was and I backed the rig down the drive.
Uh-oh, I hadn't been able to find my come-along so it was going to be muscle power to get it up the ramps onto the trailer. The 2 of us couldn't do it (we tried) so I asked if his neighbor might help. The 3 of us got it done.

So I pulled out and headed down the road to the BMV in downtown Wadsworth right past the service station I got the trailer from. I couldn't resist and pulled into the lot right in front of the office. Don spotted the car right away and came out to have a look and a younger guy also scoped it out. Back on the road heading south.

I've had the car for over a year now and one thing always bothered me. I never had the title transferred because it required an "Out of state inspection" and they have to physically see the car. It has not been driveable since I got it and I don't have a trailer.
Pulled up and double parked in front of the License Bureau on the street. I sent Jason inside to find out if someone could come out to have a look. Lady said to park in the Marathon station so I did. She came out, I opened the door to show her the VIN, she wrote down the mileage and into the office we went. $3.50 later and I had my document. $1.00 extra because it was over 30 days.

Then 2 doors down to the Title Bureau. It went much smoother than I expected except the mileage on the Bill of sale (87,000) did not match the mileage on the car (97,000). Nebraska is a bill of sale state and nothing was notarized. Ohio is VERY strict and I find it hard to believe NE seems to be so casual in comparison.

She asked which number I wanted to use and I froze. Ohio is very anal about title work and they go strictly by the book. Things like, if you make an error signing a title you cannot scratch it out as that voids the title and you must apply for a duplicate first before transferring. I had visions of having to get more documentation from the seller in Nebraska. She asked again and I said, "Is this going to kill the deal?" She said no, just that I would have to sign an odometer statement. So I said use 97,466 that's on the odometer.
The Nebraska title was dated 1970 and it was co-owned by a man and wife. The wife has since passed away but luckily Pete had included a copy of her death certificate. I showed everything I had to her and she went back to her computer terminal. I was so relieved when the printer started up and a new title rolled off. Whew!

I felt like I was on a roll so I took my barely dry title 2 doors down to the License bureau and bought plates.
Ta-da! So now I'm legal.

After that a nice 40 mile or so north on a State Route at about 50-55 MPH. Jason's truck didn't even break into a sweat.

Uh-oh again. The street was too narrow for me to back into the drive with this long rig so I pulled into the neighbor's drive across the street hoping to get a straight shot into it's new home. Her car was parked in the drive and I couldn't pull up far enough so I managed to get everything back on the street. I felt bad because I went across her lawn. She came out and volunteered to park her car on the street so I could pull up further into her drive. I apologized for the lawn and she said "Don't worry about it, I do it all the time."

I stood on the street looking at things and realized it still was not going to be easy as there was a fire hydrant near my drive and the garage was in the back yard up a drive that went between 2 houses. Just then, I saw my next door neighbor pull in his drive just getting home with his family after a long weekend with his family. Ah -hah! "Hey Kenny, can you help push this car?" Sure!

I unstrapped the car and rolled it onto the street. Then we easily pushed it up the drive and stopped right before the garage.

I have to say that the U-Haul trailer was very nice. I give it 5 stars. I loved the straps that just go over the front wheels and ratchet down. I didn't realize it had electric brakes until it was rolling and that was nice too.

So, it's "home" but unfortunately, I have so many other things going on right now, it's going to have to sit untouched for awhile.

Attachments

• 20160308_110959.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 20160308_111013.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 20160308_133731.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 124
-
Back