not getting any fuel

-

steveh

Reaction score
340 died on me the other day. Got it started for a little while but would die on idle. Lots of rust in the filter.

Blew out the lines, installed new mechanical pump, new filter, replaced rubber lines front/rear, crank it and get nothing out of the hose. Tank and sender were replaced less than 10yrs ago by previous owner. Can sending units just go bad? If it is the sending unit, how hard are they to replace and do I have to drop the tank or can they be pulled with the tank in the car (67 barracuda).

thx in advance

You can pull the sender without dropping tank.
Put stands under frame to let rear drop. It`s tight but doable.
leave no more than a gal. or 2 of gas in tank, with car on 4 stands.
If sender sock is clean, you either have a stopped/crushed line or a faulty pump.
make sure sender lines are airtight.
compare old pump with new, to see if arms are the same.

I think he meant fuel lines are air tight.
Here's an old trick for ya, blow down the fuel line and see if you can make bubbles in the tank.
Don't use compressed air either, blow down the line so you can hear and feel the bubbles.
No bubbles means you have a major air leak in the line somewhere.

Also a mechanical pump takes a few to pull fuel from the tank.
If you cranked it for a total of at least 60 seconds it should be there.

Just trying to understand what everyone means by air tight.

I'll double check but I replaced all the rubber and blew out the steel so unless the sender inside the tank is getting air, where can I be loosing vacuum?

As for cranking it. Perhaps we didn't turn it long enough. Only held the key for 10-15 seconds at a time(x2).

If the hose you replaced at the rear (attached to sender) is cracked or not tight, it could suck air and prevent gas from being pulled out of the tank. In that case, it could pass the "blows bubbles" test but still not work.

I suggest removing the rubber hose from the fuel pump inlet and attaching a clear hose to a hand vacuum pump. You should quickly be able to draw fuel easily. Don't draw it into the pump (might ruin it). If you don't have a pump, you can suck with your mouth, but have a long section of clear hose and stop the second you see gas. You can suffocate from swallowing a few ounces of gas (spit quick). Once you get gas, drop the hose into a bucket lower than the gas tank. It should flow quickly. If so, the pump will do the rest. To stop the flow, lift the hose higher than the gas tank.

I have never seen rust on a sender or on the fuel line, and I bought my 69 Dart in Tampa and it spent most of the 18 yrs I had it near the Gulf. I suspect either there was a slug of rust stuck in the fuel line, the P.O. didn't really put on a new fuel tank, or they put on a cheap one that quickly rusted. Once you fix it, add a little ethanol to the tank regularly to dissolve any water drops in the bottom of the tank. In a humid environment, you can get condensation. It is less of a problem today since a lot of gas has ethanol in it.

If the hose you replaced at the rear (attached to sender) is cracked or not tight, it could suck air and prevent gas from being pulled out of the tank. In that case, it could pass the "blows bubbles" test but still not work.

I suggest removing the rubber hose from the fuel pump inlet and attaching a clear hose to a hand vacuum pump. You should quickly be able to draw fuel easily. Don't draw it into the pump (might ruin it). If you don't have a pump, you can suck with your mouth, but have a long section of clear and stop when you see gas. You can suffocate from swallowing a few ounces of gas (spit quick). Once you get gas, drop the hose into a bucket lower than the gas tank. It should flow out quickly. If so, the pump should do the rest. To stop the flow, lift the hose higher than the gas tank.
WORD!:mrgreen:

OK, now have fuel squirting into the carb and it's now firing, wont idle for crap. I can keep it running while playing with the throttle, but it is missing something terrible and backfiring through the carb. Gonna retrace all the plug wires to make sure nothing is crossed. Distributor was a little loose and may have moved some. Don't have access to a timing light so I don't know if it needs to be advanced or retarded. gonna move this over to electrical and ignition forum. Thanks to all for the help so far

Steve

This whole post started with a lot of rust in the filter.
Remove carb, clean out and reinstall.
Replace that filter too.

It' just plugged jets, and the backfiring is a symtom.

-
Back