Not happy Paul’s Chrome Plating.

-

LovetheA's

Reaction score
Maybe I’m overreacting but I wasn’t pleasantly surprised when I opened my packing for my 67 Dart backup light bezels that I had redone by Paul’s Chrome in PA. I now they aren’t the cheapest but I’ve heard they do great quality so I figured spend the extra and get the best. Well if this is the best I’d like to see the worst? Take a look at the pictures I have included and the price they charged me on the invoice. It looks like they took the springs out of the socket that hold the light bulb in removed the wiring maybe cleaned a little and just went through the chroming process without any metal repair. I mean look at the outside of these bezels and even inside where the lens sits on two of them. WTF? What would you guys do. Ask for a good amount of the money back? Have them redo them and show them the pics and why I’m displeased? I’m at a loss. Can’t believe it.
Carl

78C74AC2-3E2A-4F46-A168-B40A1EBBC685.jpeg

29A772BF-75D1-40B1-96D7-3DF0139387D9.jpeg

A2E4B851-4943-44FA-A6A0-11D6289DB112.jpeg

694B82A1-FF9B-4D6E-820F-E6C904BBC9EC.jpeg

2832F72F-4BCA-412E-BB3C-C3C013F1FD08.jpeg

865ADB47-7753-4151-9AB2-3640AEC41124.jpeg

almost a 1000 bucks , holy ****. all they were worried about is what you will see from the exterior of the car after installation.

They looked like they were pretty pitted before. Ya, you wouldn't want to pay the price to have them completely redone inside and out. Pot metal just sucks after it is damaged like that.

I cant believe what I am seeing. Hell yes I would be on the phone with them bitching up a storm. I would never had spent the $900 to rechrome them but once you did you should get an all but new looking bezels back. Thats the worst rechroming job I have ever seen. Im speechless! If they couldnt make them look good they should have declined the job.
Rod

Just editing, when I say I wouldnt have spent the $900 what I meant was I would have searched for a better set of bezels to have rechromed. Those must have been extremely bad to start with.

Last edited:
Thats a pretty high price to pay,considering the actual hand work done. So a bumper would be like 6,000 to get done in retrospect?
Would like to get some parts done,but im not spending thousands on chrome...

That looks like dogdick!! I hope you get your money back.

Jake

Maybe I’m overreacting but I wasn’t pleasantly surprised when I opened my packing for my 67 Dart backup light bezels that I had redone by Paul’s Chrome in PA. I now they aren’t the cheapest but I’ve heard they do great quality so I figured spend the extra and get the best. Well if this is the best I’d like to see the worst? Take a look at the pictures I have included and the price they charged me on the invoice. It looks like they took the springs out of the socket that hold the light bulb in removed the wiring maybe cleaned a little and just went through the chroming process without any metal repair. I mean look at the outside of these bezels and even inside where the lens sits on two of them. WTF? What would you guys do. Ask for a good amount of the money back? Have them redo them and show them the pics and why I’m displeased? I’m at a loss. Can’t believe it.
Carl

View attachment 1715122869

View attachment 1715122870

View attachment 1715122871

View attachment 1715122872

View attachment 1715122873

View attachment 1715122874
That doesn’t look good at all, for that kinda money i wouldn’t be happy either.

Yeah. That's unacceptable. But I just BET they used "pot metal" on the receipt so that they can tell you that's the best they can plate it. You watch and see.

I have never sued anyone but I think I would call a lawyer for that!
That has to be the worst job I have ever seen.

Like mentioned they wasn't concerned about the part that is not seen. By that one picture the front (the part that will be seen all the time) looks mint.

they would re plate them or those pictures would be all over the web.ive heard nothing but good from them,unlike them to ship an item like that.

They looked like they were pretty pitted before. Ya, you wouldn't want to pay the price to have them completely redone inside and out. Pot metal just sucks after it is damaged like that.

I agree. Those areas are never seen once installed. It would be like expecting the inside of a re-chromed bumper to look like the outside.

It would be an odd request to have those covered areas of the backup lens housing look like the exterior surround around the lens. I'm sure they would do it if the customer requested ($$$$$$$).

Could the original poster post pictures of the parts before chroming???

Paul's is expensive. I can see how someone's expectations could run rampant.

You're not going to find many places to chrome those for under $100 with light pitting on visual surfaces. Those looked to have very heavy pits, but pics would tell the story.

Big pits are pieces of the original pot metal corroded away. Missing pieces of the original metal.

Last edited:
I would be afraid of the back flaking off and coming around the front,
and that is what happens in a couple years. Then it starts all over again.

I agree with Mike. I would have found some better cores for a better finished product. Those do look like they were pretty bad to begin with. What was your agreement with them? Did they say they would fill in the pitted metal before rechroming and is it in writing?

Well I understand that the front surround does look good and primarily that along with the inside edge above the lens is all that you see through the bumper. However, on two of the bezels they didn't even smooth out or fix the inside edge above the lens. You can see that in the finished pics I posted. At the minimum for what I paid I want everything you see from the back of the car to look good. Here is the before pics I sent to them before they started the job.

IMG_0991.JPG

IMG_0990.JPG

IMG_0993.JPG

IMG_0996.JPG

Carl

View attachment 1715122869

View attachment 1715122870

View attachment 1715122871

View attachment 1715122872

View attachment 1715122873

View attachment 1715122874

Totally unacceptable. China repops would look better. I would totally tell them to redo them and ask to speak to the owner or someone high up. They may be just as upset that something like that left the doors.

It almost looks like it's flaking now.

Give them an opportunity to make it right. Pot metal ALWAYS sucks but you could almost cnc a new set for that money

Those would have smoothed out pretty good with bead blasting, IMO and probably looked a LOT better.

Find how they prepped them.

You guys should see the bumper on my ex bosses 58 Buick they done, the chrome fell off it in a 6" x 6" spot while sitting attached to the fully restored car in a heated / AC basement, the car was never drove.
His only comment was never again will I pay them another penny. This was in 1998 so, I guess their quality is still the same.

If you had sent them to Leanna, she would have cleaned them up, coated them with something like Alien silver and you wouldda been happy.....for a LOT less. She can still fix them up, I bet.

@CudaChick1968

That’s insane not even sanded or blasted or even wire brushed. I would have lost my mind not acceptable at all.......... I would ask first for a redo and have the boss see why. Show him this link to your blog..

Last edited:
-
Back