NOT MINE 1971 cuda 340 shaker 27,500

-

skep419

5.9 Magnum 4 speed afficionado
Reaction score
1971 Plymouth Barracuda Cuda 340 4 spd shaker
this concludes why I can't own an E-body
00t0t_jamP8tjAwtJ_600x450.jpg

The car isn't worth the 100k it is going to take to restore it. All the really high price pieces are missing, really rusty, and non numbers. That is the reason I got away from them, you have to have a wallet that is 6 inches thick!

Rusty, non numbers matching, missing some special stuff, and a 340 (as opposed to big block). There's no way that thing gets anywhere near that money. The storage place will auction it after the seller has passed from natural causes...

The reason for this is stories like the guy that bought Graveyard Carz "Phantom 'Cuda" for $50K. It was totally smashed and rusted. There was almost nothing salvageable. $50K for what amounts to nothing more than a VIN? I am sure it needed well over $150K to bring it back. So what if it was a 440-6 4-speed car. People are just spending stupid money for 'Cudas.

That doesn't look like any 30,000 mile car I ever saw.............Three hundred thou, maybe............

It's a shaker hood car, without the shaker hood.... :rolleyes:

It's numbers matching, but no original motor... :bs_flag:

the posting is gone.

i watch graveyard carz each week and last week they finished the "phantom cuda" and featured it as the entire show. i used to own a body shop and i understand worman's self-imposed "challenge" to bring that car back from the grave. however, i must say, that car required probably 75% of the body to be replaced so i don't know if the "new" car is really still "the original" car. i guess that's a point that can be debated.

most 71 440 4 speed cuda's i've seen go through mecum or barret-jackson have sold for anywhere from $80 to $125k. the only really big money cudas are the original 70-71 hemi convertibles. too many people think they have another car like the 71 hemi cuda that mecum sold last year for $3.5 million dollars. you could count on both hands the mopars that have sold ANYWHERE for more than $200k. as to the value of the "phantom cuda" - that's a difficult one to figure. "if" you had a "numbers matching" original car like that one i would say you could expect an auction price in excess of $100k. however, the phantom cuda IS NOT an "original" car. it looks beautiful - but it is NOT an original car. so let's say its value is around $80k. all the "hype" from the TV show regarding the car "might" add another $20k - so we are at $100k as a realistic value for the car. it is absolutely clear that the owner dropped another $100k into this car AFTER he paid the $50k for it in the first place. so just based on the numbers, i can't imagine why the owner invested what he did in this car. but i will say, he does now have a very nice car.

i will have to say that i did have a personal interest in the phantom cuda episode. craig hopkins and another AMD employee had a lot to say about how much work they did on the car when AMD had it. i just had them do my 69 M-Code Cuda and got to know hopkins somewhat. he is a nice guy and very fair in his price estimates. i have nothing but good things to say about AMD's restoration services.

while no one is ever going to get rich restoring and selling "A-body" mopars, they are still very affordable and as much fun to own and drive as any of the other mopar muscle cars. i "might" own a 70-71 Cuda someday - either a 440 six pack 4 speed or an AAR. but right now, i'm very happy with my 68-69 "Barracudas."

-
Back