not mine but WOW

-
Very nice car, i just cant get past the black painted engine.compartment.

I think people do that because its easier.

I think the execution of this project would look much better and have more impact with a body color engine compartment.

But this is my opinion. Since its an opinion it aint worth spit.

Matt

A Mopar guy will usually move on when he sees that chebby style engine bay at a car show which is what that ride seems to be geared toward.

I never understood this "rule" to follow that requires vehicle owners to paint their engine bays the same color as the car. I understand the factory did it that way, but when a car becomes 40 or 50 years old, why not mix it up a bit?

I'm with Moparmat, I can't stand a black engine compartment. I'd rather it be the same color as the car, or white so there is enough light to see what the hell I'm working on when in there. My eyes aren't the best. Just picture it, you're on a creeper, under there and trying to start a nut on some sheetmetal, or something. With all that black, you NEED a droplight or a flashlight. With a white engine bay, more ambient light will be bouncing around and you're less likely to need to prop up a light, or a third arm to hold that light.

Also with a white engine bay, it's easier to see dirt, grease, oil. That means it's easier to see where it's coming from, so you can resolve little issues before they become big issues.

The color of your engine bay can be a tool to make your life easier. Work smarter, not harder.

With that fugly rattlecan black, it's like you're trying to hide something.

And finally, my eyes aren't the best. Neither is my memory, and don't even get me started on my hearing! :???:

I'm with Moparmat, I can't stand a black engine compartment. I'd rather it be the same color as the car, or white so there is enough light to see what the hell I'm working on when in there. My eyes aren't the best. Just picture it, you're on a creeper, under there and trying to start a nut on some sheetmetal, or something. With all that black, you NEED a droplight or a flashlight. With a white engine bay, more ambient light will be bouncing around and you're less likely to need to prop up a light, or a third arm to hold that light.

Also with a white engine bay, it's easier to see dirt, grease, oil. That means it's easier to see where it's coming from, so you can resolve little issues before they become big issues.

The color of your engine bay can be a tool to make your life easier. Work smarter, not harder.

With that fugly rattlecan black, it's like you're trying to hide something.

And finally, my eyes aren't the best. Neither is my memory, and don't even get me started on my hearing! :???:

Agreed. Nice car but I'm not a fan of the Chevy hood scoop. I know you have to have something to cover the carbs. I also am not a fan of the black under the hood. I sprayed mine black when I rebuilt my engine a few years back. There was a lot of surface rust around the edges and I wasn't convinced I ever wanted to paint the car the original color.
Big mistake on my part. If I keep the car I will eventually take it apart for paint. If I sell it, the next owner can paint it what ever color he likes. Maybe black. LOL

Nice car. I would own it, even with the non original black bay and aftermarket hood and all the other custom changes as well. Looks like fun!

Love a flat black engine compartment. Can spot repair with a rattle can and barely notice. Can not quit f ing with stuff in there even if not broken. Which = scratched paint. To each their own.

Well, I'm not a real hardcore purist. But I do like any cool cars. Soooo....I'd drive the poop outta that car! Thanks for sharing dodge71demon.

Pat

So the Mopar enthusiasts that hate black engine compartments- if that black is rustoleum and on a low budget resto-do they hate or look down on that too?

I don't understand why this is despised. I do understand original manufacturing vice Chevy.

So the Mopar enthusiasts that hate black engine compartments- if that black is rustoleum and on a low budget resto-do they hate or look down on that too?

I don't understand why this is despised. I do understand original manufacturing vice Chevy.

I don't hate Chevy (or any GM products) but I won't ever ever buy one. They did make some beautiful automobiles. Also, if I could buy a NEW Mopar Ford Ranger sized 2wd WORK type truck (I don't need a giant pickup to prove to myself that I'm a man,) with a 318 or 360, that I can beat the hell out of, with vinyl floor mats and no fuzzy soft headliner to be a luxury "truck," I'd be on it.

Also, the black for an engine compartment is just not smart when it comes to wrenching. But I understand being on a budget. :banghead:

I hope my rant on the damn prettyboy "work" trucks doesn't hijack the thread. :???:

Pristine paint. Pristine engine. Cheap looking back yard style engine bay. Thats why. There is just something "finished" looking about a bay that was prepped nicely and looks as good as the rest of the car. Not bein' hateful, just the way I like em.

As much time as I knew I would be spending under the hood, I wanted easy to touch-up paint on the aprons, cuz they are my workbench when I'm on the road.Black it was.....sorry. I have a Chebby color on my S; 95 Monty(red). Pleeeeze don't hate me.

Been there. Started with a car I purchased with black engine compartment, but while I was shuffling motors in and out, I went ahead and painted it body color. Much better, no comparison.
Maybe its because it came factory that way, it's just one difference that sets Mopars apart from the other brands. Gives it a finished look to me.

$35K, yikes, sounds like it turned into the money pit. There is a point where you have to ask yourself, is it worth spending past a certain $ amount.

Pristine paint. Pristine engine. Cheap looking back yard style engine bay. Thats why. There is just something "finished" looking about a bay that was prepped nicely and looks as good as the rest of the car. Not bein' hateful, just the way I like em.

Bingo. Just something unfinished, or rushed about it. Body colored engine compartments make our cars unique unlike the semi gloss black painted ford or GM ones.

Funny how people react differently. The outside paint job is nice, that's a fact.

Otherwise, this just seems like a modified version of a cheezy 80s/early 90s pro street car.

-Tacked on Chevy hoodscoop: Check
-Crummy wiring (cheapo crimp butt splices): Check
-Fuel system isn't cleanly done or Hidden: Check
-Speakers in random places with the hideous tuner style grilles: Check
-Two tachs, including a huge monster tach: check
-Column shift column with the stalk removed: check
-Battery on the wrong side of trunk: check
-Fuel pump above bottom of fuel tank: check

There's just soooooo much wrong there, and we can't even see underneath. I'd also seriously question why it has production cylinder heads.

-
Back