Not sure

-

SonofaHatchet

Reaction score
I dont know if this goes here but Ill try it out. I was loooking into a few cars but they have slant 6's or were a slant 6 and I was thinking about putting a small block in it. Not a 360 or 340 (to much for my blood) more like a 273 or a 318 something thats got alittle pep but still can idle in traffic and get decent mpg. But yea do I have to change out the k-member or what has to change so I can do this? And do any of you have a good low budget build for a 273 or 318? I was thinkg headers, intake, carb, and cam :-D
Thanks Nate

all depends what you want there are a lot of strong /6s out there i been thinking about removing my 318 and going back to a 6 there is a guy here that has a great sounding 6 and they always run great check out the thread with turbo / 6s its cool

Son, personally, I would stay with the slant six, if you are only considering a swap to a 273 or 318. That said, to your question about changing the "K" frame. It depends on the year of the car. 64-66 use the same "K" frame for the V-8 or slant six, so on those years, no change required. 67 and newer, requires either a "K" frame change or adapter motor mounts (http://www.engine-swaps.com/). 64-65 and some early 66's require a V-8 drag link. You will also have to use the matching V-8 trans, and radiator.

Transdapt does sell the same for less but only up to 72 A body with a biscuit type motor mount k frame.

I love the buzzin half dozen myself!! Sounds like a cloud of hornets coming your way and scares chevy guys!

Schumacher has solved the problem of putting any engine into any body style car without changing the K member by offering any combination of motor mounts to fit your desired application. You may think they are pricey at $159.00, but if you consider the time and effort to locate, purchase and remove and replace a K frame, the $$$ doesn't seem like a bad deal. I would personally look for a 318 because they are everywhere, cheap, and can be set up to run well with the add on's that you describe in your original post. Heck, if Neverland is anywhere near Ann Arbor, Michigan, you can come and pick out your 318 at my shop for $50.00, and I'll sell you a 904 to go with it for another $50.00. That should get you started and be within most budgets!!! Good luck with your project, Geof

Schumacher has solved the problem of putting any engine into any body style car without changing the K member by offering any combination of motor mounts to fit your desired application. You may think they are pricey at $159.00, but if you consider the time and effort to locate, purchase and remove and replace a K frame, the $$$ doesn't seem like a bad deal. I would personally look for a 318 because they are everywhere, cheap, and can be set up to run well with the add on's that you describe in your original post. Heck, if Neverland is anywhere near Ann Arbor, Michigan, you can come and pick out your 318 at my shop for $50.00, and I'll sell you a 904 to go with it for another $50.00. That should get you started and be within most budgets!!! Good luck with your project, Geof

WOW, thats actully not a bad price for the mounts, and your kidding a 318 and a 904 for a $100bucks? Just the block? Or with some stock things on it? Either way thats a heck of a deal!

Build up a slant six-you will learn more in the long run on how engines work and how to get the most from them. Any one can bolt in a V8. Do you know about the slant six web site? Turbos/superchargers/4bbls. Just saying

Build what you want, not what they badger you into.

Oh, by the way, a 360 can be had very inexpensively as well.

An easy 318 build up that requires no extra maching while still getting good mileage is easy. Swaping the engine in is the harder part.

My 318 Duster Project here; http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10508 Did get good mileage. but I never really had the chance to maximize the set up. Just a bolt in and go fun toy.

Basics to the build are;

1979 318.(With untold mileage)
600 cfm Holley & a 625 Carter were used at one point.
Edelbrock LD4B intake manifold.
Crane Cams 216/228-.454/.480/112 and there springs. Bolt on and in, no machine work needed.
Summit double roller timing chain.
MP distributor triggered by an orange box
Hooker headers into a Jegs 2-1/2 exhaust system.
I went with an elextric fan. It wasn't needed. But a V8 rad would be a smart thing to do. The /6 rad was new and had trouble in the 90* plus days.

No tranny mod but a deep pan.

225/70/14 sized tires. Gear ratio was a 3.21 in a 8-1/4 sure grip equiped. Rear springs by ESPO.com 1 inch over bend.

Untuned, it ran a 15.14 @ 89 mph. Got 18 mpg's running rich on a preety cool Nov. day @ Atco raceway southern N.J.

The stock low compresion engine was half the problem in terms of power making. Some good piston to head squezzee would have been nice for power and mileage. But an inexpensive buiuld is where it was at.

I beileve 18 to 19 MPG's was possible and I know 14's were in it.

Theres power and mileage in a tuned carb, degreed cam, a betterly tune distributor and a better ignition, in which I'd recomend a MSD or equal. This set up also could have use a wider and slightly taller tire to help against wheel spin. Which I had a bit at the line and a tad more for a longer leg. Which translates into a low RPM at the finishline, which I was maxed out and then a few hundred RPM by then.

Wow Rumble thanks for build link, Ill have to keep coming back for some refences :D by the way Im diging the cuda! I have a 74' in highschool with a 318 but it was the meanest car in school.

WOW, thats actully not a bad price for the mounts, and your kidding a 318 and a 904 for a $100bucks? Just the block? Or with some stock things on it? Either way thats a heck of a deal!

No Son, I'm not kidding. You would get your choice between a few different motors complete with brackets and pulleys and intake and carb, and the trans would have the kickdown linkage and stuff too. All stock stuff with 2 bbl carbs, but thats what keeps the price where it is!!! All the motors I have came from cars that I've parted out and should really be rebuilt, but a couple I would be confident to put in as is. These motors have been offered up here before, and I've sold a couple, but most people have chimed in that though they are a good deal, they are too far away to make the trip to pick them up. I also have a couple 383 BB and trans laying around that I've offered up, but alas, no takers on those either!!! Geof

Not sure what cars you are looking at (or have?) but I think the Mopars from the 60s look way cool with /6 power (especially the early to mid 60s cars that have that rounded look to them.

For the later cars (1970s) a V8 318 appeals to me more.

Just my 2 cents.

Paul

That is a great price! $100 is usually what is charged just for a tranny core up here.

Another question. I found a car on here with manul drums up front how hard is it to convert is to power and disks? And it has manul steering is that hard to convert?

Another question. I found a car on here with manul drums up front how hard is it to convert is to power and disks? And it has manul steering is that hard to convert?

Not that hard as long as you got the right tools. If your going to do this swap try and fin a 73 or newer for the big bolt pattern, better control arms, and a spool mount k member

You need not change a K member for a disc swap or engine swap.

Once again, if you were near Ann Arbor, you could come to my shop and pick up a spool style K-member with the spool style motor mounts for a reasonable price, depending on whether you wanted it blasted and painted or as is. While you're here, I also have a full set of LBP disc brakes, although the power steering setup I have is spoken for. There are always options and parts out there, you just gotta ask!!! If you really need these items, let me know, Geof

Once again, if you were near Ann Arbor, you could come to my shop and pick up a spool style K-member with the spool style motor mounts for a reasonable price, depending on whether you wanted it blasted and painted or as is. While you're here, I also have a full set of LBP disc brakes, although the power steering setup I have is spoken for. There are always options and parts out there, you just gotta ask!!! If you really need these items, let me know, Geof

Wow Geof you seem to have everything! Very lucky my friend. Your about a 4 hours trip maybe longer, Ive been through Ann Arbor a few times

It just seems like I have everything, but I buy parts cars mostly for you all. My personal cars don't really need anything, but if I find a car that I can part out, I save everything, just in case you all need something. I'm not trying to make a killing on anything, just trying to save cars from the slow death they are suffering, and get items into the hands of people who need them. If I can be of any service to you all, just ask!!! Good luck in your search for just the right car there Son, it's out there waiting!!! Geof

-
Back