Now by golly I'm gonna find out 1st hand about pre-magnum TBI...

-

valianator

Reaction score
Whenever the subject of swapping 89-91 TBI onto a 318 comes up on here, there seems to be alot of people who say:

":puke:Nooo! Stay away! Verboten! It's Junk!:puke:"

And a few who say it works just fine, as long as you aren't looking for more perfomance than a stock 318-2.

I've considered this swap a few times but never got around to trying it.
A Magnum engine is better, of course; but the TBI setup has a couple of advantages. You can swap it onto an older 318; and (the big one for me) it's available from pick-and-pull for about the cost of its weight in dog poop.

I'm gonna find out now, just bought a '91 W150 318 for my daily! I've had the truck about a week and i like it so far- I figure the true test of it's mettle (metal?) will come this fall with the cool, wet weather that seems to give carbs fits with low speed driveability problems.
Wish me luck!

Well keep us posted. Even though I "decided" to go carb, I had thought about multiport --conversion to-- Ford EFI electronics. If the vapor return line project "in progress" doesn't help, I just might BE.........

I have a 1990 W250 318 4-speed with TBI. Has 205000 trouble free miles on it.

George

I have the swap done just doing wiring for it now and have the A500 in it I will get some pictures posted soon it ran real good in the 91 Dakota that I remove the engine and trans from.

They work fine, but don't handle modifications well. The computer assumes certain specs will always be the same, and if you deviate, it will not compensate. If you change the stock cam, you probably won't be happy.

They work fine, but don't handle modifications well. The computer assumes certain specs will always be the same, and if you deviate, it will not compensate. If you change the stock cam, you probably won't be happy.

+ infinity hahahaha had the system in a ramcharger all stock ran absolutely flawless. decided to rebuild a motor for it better cam, headers :vom: bad idea.stock they are great but def. don't compensate well !!!!!!

Norm

I have the swap done just doing wiring for it now and have the A500 in it I will get some pictures posted soon it ran real good in the 91 Dakota that I remove the engine and trans from.

Sorry to sneek into this thread but I am going to put a a500 in my 65 Dart. How much work to the trans tunnel did you have to do? Do you have pictures of the trans mount and floor modification.

I would love to have EFI on the 360 I am going to build for my Dart.

why dont they handle mods well? my other question would be isnt it possible to get custome calibrations burnt for 88 89 factory mopar computers/ no mopar performance one available? i ask this because i have a 75 dart sport i thought about doing this to, and i have an 88 shadow with a 22 turbo in it with a custom calibration, however even before the custom cal it worked well/was easy to get factory computer to work with what i wanted it to do.

why dont they handle mods well?

Because it is halfassed (cheap/low-bid) hardware clumsily driven by halfassed software/firmware that's too "dumb" to adapt to any substantial changes. I tried a bunch of mods on my '89 TBI 318 D100 and kept track of the results. The only one that helped a little(!) was swapping in a custom 21-psi fuel pressure regulator and a set of 3.9 V6 fuel injectors. The smaller injectors and higher fuel pressure (stock was 14 psi) improved fuel vapourisation and made the truck's driveability marginally better. There's not even an IAC valve; idle speed is regulated sloppily and slowly by a big honkin' external idle speed control motor pushing on the throttle lever.

Overall it's better than a carburetor in most ways, but that's about all that can be said to recommend it.

isnt it possible to get custome calibrations burnt for 88 89 factory mopar computers

Good luck! (i.e., no.)

no mopar performance one available?

No.

You could look at running the system with Megasquirt, I guess.

My neighbor will readjust that idle controller twice each year, early spring and late fall, rather than buy a new one.

Yup. It's a foul-tempered thing even when it's "working" as designed. 3-point turns and parallel parking and rocking out of a snowbound parking spot are all kinds of "fun" because the engine speed flares way up as you pass through Neutral on your way between Drive and Reverse. Options are sit there in Neutral for a second or two and wait for the engine to idle the hell down, or do an unintended neutral-drop each and every time. :roll:

why dont they handle mods well? my other question would be isnt it possible to get custome calibrations burnt for 88 89 factory mopar computers/ no mopar performance one available? i ask this because i have a 75 dart sport i thought about doing this to, and i have an 88 shadow with a 22 turbo in it with a custom calibration, however even before the custom cal it worked well/was easy to get factory computer to work with what i wanted it to do.

2.2/2.5 cals were more "sophisticated" and were performance oriented but anything over 14.7 psi and they freaked out and shut down(overboost hehehehehe) they (factory) saw a performance edge in racing with the turbo motors.....trucks no racy at that time other than off road and they ran carbs so no need. the only person i know that may tackle/have tackled it is shelgame on turbo-mopar he does my turbo stuff. his website is boostbutton.com.
i am big pro-fuel injection person but for real performance stay away from these systems. you would be better off taking a 4bbl intake and dumping a proffessional products projection system on it. more costly but less headache in the end

Norm

-
Back