now ive started somthing..........

-

cudaboy 67

Reaction score
here is my dash,i knocked up a mdf pannel years ago as behind it......i had little/no original dash when bought car,was never really 100% happy so in wanting to remove the upper dash pad to recover i decided that any wiring that had been added over years<badly any not by me>was to come out.......literally!also replacing the fuse box as there are too many things not required,all i want are ign,lights,horn,wipers etc.... i am going with same flat pannel theme only in brushed ali,re arranging guages and push button starter and indicator warning lamps being relocated to lower pannel to keep main dash simple...............now, where is that wiring diagram..... restoring the centre consol then and losing those horrible seats, what was i thinking??? lol

cuda 010410 006.jpg

cuda dash 22-06-10 005.jpg

cuda dash 22-06-10 006.jpg

cuda dash 22-06-10 007.jpg

we all did things back in the day, that make us ask that question, and some of us has done things in as little as 5 years ago, to make us ask that question:-D
while your in there redoing your dash and seats, dont forget your steering wheel cover could stand some love:bootysha: from the looks of it, you didn't let the car sit still very long:cheers: keep the pics and updates on your new dash coming.

Since you have no dash at all, you could take the opportunity to make something truly custom. You can even change the height of the dash to fit more instruments in front of you. Your only limit is your imagination and skill level. Think of using steel or aluminum; you can do a lot more with these materials than you can do with wood. Check around inside this website. Some guys have done some cool things with their dashes.

As for myself, my plans are to increase the height of my 'Cuda dash and continue it down to a custom console. I plan to build it somewhat like the cockpit of a 1950s Lockheed Constellation. I plan on chucking the stock dash pad and making one from vinyl and built-up foam stuffing, just like in the airliner.

Sort of off topic, but is that an aftermarket parking brake handle? It looks like aluminum or something to me and my plastic one is broken and I was thinking about doing something like buying a hurst T handle and attaching it to the parking brake.

we all did things back in the day, that make us ask that question, and some of us has done things in as little as 5 years ago, to make us ask that question:-D
while your in there redoing your dash and seats, dont forget your steering wheel cover could stand some love:bootysha: from the looks of it, you didn't let the car sit still very long:cheers: keep the pics and updates on your new dash coming.
hi there, there was a lot of squirming and swearing ! years of knowing how poo the wiring behind there was and 5 minuits to remove........i have a sheet of aluminium to re do, will keep pics coming, the steering wheel maybe going or at least the daft aftermatket cover!

Hey cudaboy 67 -
If you want to keep you original steering wheel but put a really nice cover on it, check out www.wheelskins.com. I used one of their lace-on leather covers on my '95 Ram 2500 steering wheel and love it. Doesn't look funky like the one that's on you stock wheel now with the vinyl lace wrap. Wheelskins covers use heavy duty thread and look like they were factory installed leather covers.
Take a look if you want to keep your original wheel.

cheers for that, will check out ! made a pannel today to house switches/push button start,pannel to go where missing ashtray was,want the "main dash" free of buttons etc, keep it clean and simple, just guages...................

cuda dash 24-06-10 001.jpg

cuda dash 24-06-10 002.jpg

cuda dash 24-06-10 003.jpg

cuda dash 24-06-10 004.jpg

dash pads removed at at the upholsterers,metal work rubbed down and sprayed with plastic cote black gloss................attack centre consol next, its from auto car but mine 4 speed so hard to get new/replacment bits will fix up what i have!

cuda wheels 006.jpg

cuda wheels 007.jpg

forget spray adhesives etc etc, hot glue gun! some clamps, sharp utility knife,glue sticks<you be surprised how many you use> some material,clean clear space............and no interuptions!!! my first attempt, started on top pad,cut material leaving spare to overlap, allow gun to warm, i did short lengths of glue on edges,say 6" trying to do more allows glue to go off so little bit at a time,on awkard corners spread glue over curved surface, the heat softens material allowing it to stretch,hold fast to allow to set,literally tens of seconds,prepare to burn your fingers!:snakeman: overall im pretty happy, couple awkard edges i may go over...........main dash instrument pannel next:cheers:

cuda dash 007.jpg

cuda dash 009.jpg

hi, there lot of guys on ebay selling, i chose somthing that didnt look too modern or new, cost me £10 from upholsterer! have a go at doing yourself, just take your time, its a heck of a improvment over how it was!

toying with do i put guages in main dash pannel when i make it or just have speedo in main for clean lines and simplicity and guages elsewhere...........guages elsewhere, will make up main dash ali pannel sunday and upload some photos then, next job...centre consol.

cuda wiring 12-07-10 009.jpg

cuda wiring 12-07-10 013.jpg

ta man, i have my direction indicator lamp in pannel i made up where ashtray should be, do think it may need somthing..........plenty to get on with in meantime, always come back to it! see my other post....... bulkhead connector blues in electrical forum................
thats another story lol

now its the centre consol , pulled the "flakey" carpet edges off, not going to replace, fiberglass "hump" for when shifter kicks to the left,,,,,,,,,,,,,, lotta fiberglass lol

-
Back