now what do I do

-

Frodee

Off center a bit
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have an 1970 340 in my 73 scamp when I bought it the guy told me it was rebuilt under 20,000 miles ago. he didn't know anything about the rebuild it was done by the guy he bought it from. so I decided to tear into it and find out for myself. had a few oil leaks to repair anyway. pulled the timing cover off pulled it up on TDC and found that the cam was 180 degrees off. Now I'm not a pro at this put the timing mark on the crank is facing up and so is the timing mark on the cam. and it runs just fine so did I do something wrong or the guy that rebuilt it.

Up on both is correct.

#1 cylinder needs to be on the compression stroke TDC. I bet it lines up then. If it were 180* out, it would be very disagreeable, lol.
thanks I knew it had to be making the mistake. but if I don't ask I don't learn

I have an 1970 340 in my 73 scamp when I bought it the guy told me it was rebuilt under 20,000 miles ago. he didn't know anything about the rebuild it was done by the guy he bought it from. so I decided to tear into it and find out for myself. had a few oil leaks to repair anyway. pulled the timing cover off pulled it up on TDC and found that the cam was 180 degrees off. Now I'm not a pro at this put the timing mark on the crank is facing up and so is the timing mark on the cam. and it runs just fine so did I do something wrong or the guy that rebuilt it.

A cam cannot BE 180 off because the cam rotates at 1/2 crank speed. So every crank turn, the cam is 1/2 turn off from the LAST time the crank came around

On a side note, Mopar engines do NOT FIRE the no1 plug with the timing marks "lined up" at 6 O'clock and 12 O' clock. That situation is actually no6 ready to fire, no 1 is 1 turn of the crank, putting the marks both at 12 O'clock.

A cam cannot BE 180 off because the cam rotates at 1/2 crank speed. So every crank turn, the cam is 1/2 turn off from the LAST time the crank came around

On a side note, Mopar engines do NOT FIRE the no1 plug with the timing marks "lined up" at 6 O'clock and 12 O' clock. That situation is actually no6 ready to fire, no 1 is 1 turn of the crank, putting the marks both at 12 O'clock.
Iv'e never been a gear head but I'm learning thanks

As mentioned already...if she was 180 out you'd be buying valves right now...and that's if you even got it fired up.

If you would have cranked it over another full revolution you would have been on the money. The marks would have been dot - to - dot. Crank turns twice for every one revolution of the cam.

If you would have cranked it over another full revolution you would have been on the money. The marks would have been dot - to - dot. Crank turns twice for every one revolution of the cam.
i'm not real good with timing but I really thought it was on the compression stroke when I did tdc. I guess next time i'll set it up before I start on a beer.

As in post #8..... There is a misconception that the standard 'dot-to-dot' occurs at #1 at TDC on the compression stroke. It will be at TDC on the compression stroke of cylinder #1 if both dots are at 12 o'clock (like you found). If it is 'dot-to-dot', then #1 is at TDC on the exhaust stroke and #6 is at TDC on the compression stroke. #1 and #6 work exactly 2 strokes a part from each other in the 4 stroke cycle.

-
Back