OD trans

-

kittypancake

Reaction score
I was reading a thread somewhere about a /6 with a late model OD trans. Now I can't find it. Any ideas what tranny this is and what it takes to hook up?

I was reading a thread somewhere about a /6 with a late model OD trans. Now I can't find it. Any ideas what tranny this is and what it takes to hook up?

I just replaced a 3 speed stick shift trans and shifter in my 74 /6 with an 833 4 speed OD that I got with a 75 duster parts car. It is a heavy cast iron case 833 OD, but it bolted right in place. As I already had a floor shift car, the hump on the floor was there to mount the shift boot on and I had clearance for the shift rods.
I had to use the bell housing that came with the OD trans due to the input bearing size and I had since the output shaft is bigger diameter on the 4 speed I had to use the driveshaft from the parts car too. At first it wouldn't shift into reverse but after taking the Hurst shifter mechanism apart and replacing a 15 cent roll pin that had broken it works fine.

Works so well, I just found an AL case version online for my 73 Duster.

Try these guy's, www.keislerauto.com They convert late GM O/D trans to suit Mopars. I haven't seen their products but have been lead to believe they are a good company. A mate of mine is looking at importing one for his 318 powered 62 Valiant.

Good luck, Marty

As soon as I posted this I found they advertise on these pages! I just had to look to the right of my post!!

We would need to know a lot more info......like the year and model of car being converted and how it's equiped now.

I have been thinking about the same thing for my '62 Lancer wagon.
you might start by looking here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TorqueFlite

basically, the slant 6 never had an overdrive auto trans. but what I wonder is, what if you start with a regular slant 6 A-904 case and put the tail shaft section off of an A-500. what else would have to be done to get it to work?

ok, I've been doing some research.
I asked my friend who owns a race trans shop and he suggested a 200R4 with a bell housing adapter. he thought it might even fit without cutting the floorboard. you would have to build an adapter for the push buttons, or come up with something for a shifter.
I'm going to look into this for my '64 Dart as well!

They are trying to organize a group buy over at slant6.org for the slant to 200 transmission I think there's 8 or 9 signed up, needing at least 10. More would be better to bring the cost down.

you would have to build an adapter for the push buttons, or come up with something for a shifter.
I suspect an adapter for the push-button shifter would be hard because I vaguely recall that the shift pattern is different, i.e. as the cable pushes out, the order isn't today's standard of P-R-N-D-2-1. I just adjusted the cable in my 64 a few weeks ago, but didn't think to check that. I was just focused on getting the valve body pawls to match the shifter (while I had the pan off). If true, then 65+ cars must use a different valve body. and my two 1965's (904 & 727) must be 1-year only since cable-shift w/ the modern pattern.

-
Back