Odd casting numbers

-

Kstone76

Reaction score
I'm trying to get some more info about my engine to order parts. Im Pretty green when it comes to this.

The stamp on the side of the block says 4179930 340 5

The date code is gobbed with paint but looks to say 70 ( could be 75 or 76)

And right below the head on the front of the block says 3k 340 0 with 002925
underneath

Everytime I try to look up the engine code it comes up Mopar 360, but it clearly looks like a 340 stamp to me.

Has anyone seen this code before?

Side Block Stamp.jpg

Date Stamp.jpg

Head Stamp.jpg

Last edited:
You got screwed.

They covered the 5 to look like a 0=7O and 360 the 6 was ground away at the bottom left and some jb weld or something was used to close it in to make it look like a jacked up 4. Just look at the other 4 at the beginning of the casting. And the front is probably restamped over. Should be 340P

Wow.
Go back to whoever you bought it from and ghost drive it right into their dining room around supper time...

Shitty. Take wire brushes to it, get down to the metal.
Man I used to hear these kinds of used car lot stories wayyyy back when ...but to see it, and still happening...
Back when...they ground off the numbers on the side and said it was a warranty block... which was how 340 warranty blocks came, minus the grinding, no casting and or date iirr

Very shitty. I knew the 2nd "4" looked weird. Then read your reply comparing it vs the other "4"...very messed up.
Man I used to hear these kinds of used car lot stories wayyyy back when ...but to see it, and still happening...
Back when...they ground off the numbers on the side and said it was a warranty block... which was how 340 warranty blocks came, minus the grinding, no casting and or date iirr

It’s not looking good. Did you buy the car with the engine and was it recently?

Easy enough to prove if its a 360. Look at the curved part of the oil pan. Its larger on the 360 because of the larger mains.

4179930 – 1975 – 1993, 360 LA-series small-block
2780930 – 1968-1973, 340 LA-series small-block, Not T/A or AAR

Easy enough to prove if its a 360. Look at the curved part of the oil pan. Its larger on the 360 because of the larger mains.
Actually the 360 has a smaller curve on the back of the pan, the 318/340 curve of the pan would be similar size front/rear.
Look at the harmonic balancer and see if it is "externally" balanced.

Sorry to see/hear you got screwed........take the seller to court for fraud, see what happens

No disrespect meant, but part #'s or casting numbers starting with a 4 are going to be a mid to late 70's manufactured piece.
340's start with 278
I'm more familiar with 67-9 cudas and almost all part #'s I'm familiar with start with number 2.
Just something to help for next time.

No disrespect meant, but part #'s or casting numbers starting with a 4 are going to be a mid to late 70's manufactured piece.
340's start with 278
I'm more familiar with 67-9 cudas and almost all part #'s I'm familiar with start with number 2.
Just something to help for next time.
Exactly. My book goes to 76 and that number is 400****** so what you have is a 76 or newer. Not a 340 that I can see.

I read your original post here when you got the car. It doesn't appear you got burned, you just got what the seller told you it was, a 360. The differences between 318 and 360 are quite distinguishable. You can order your 360 stuff now.

Someone before him tried to play a game with the engine.

I read your original post here when you got the car. It doesn't appear you got burned, you just got what the seller told you it was, a 360. The differences between 318 and 360 are quite distinguishable. You can order your 360 stuff now.

Someone before him tried to play a game with the engine.
Link?

He has 3 posts since joining, click on the 3.

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/search/82813890/

Here's an angle, you go to sell a car... somebody comes looks at the car.. you tell him it's a 360 and other than that you don't really know much about cause that's how you bought it..... they examine the car ,look under and think they see "340" and that they're totally coming up on you ....it is a for sure sale, asking price met. Done.

What a play
. Haha take notes people.

The nerve!
But its adding up.. a good friend of mine sold a fresh 360 to a guy who didn't quibble over price, but wanted oem valve covers.
3 months later, my buddy is buying the MP valve covers back, and he tells me, "that guy is making it look like a 340!"

-
Back