Odd vibration at speed... any ideas what it could be?

-

Gigantor

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
The last few times I've had my bone-stock 75 Swinger on the highway, cruising over 65, there is a slow pulse-like vibration that I feel in the front end and steering wheel.
It's about the speed of a slow heartbeat, but each pulse is a series of very fast vibrations. It's not a violent shaking of the wheel by any means. At first I thought I was imagining it, but it seems distinct and if I didn't know any better I would think it's getting worse.
Any ideas?
Thank you!

That's called a drone. They are almost ALWAYS from the driveshaft or driveline somwhere. Are you 100% that it is coming from the front? If it is, I would suspect maybe a wheel bearing.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not 110% positive it's coming from the front, but I definitely don't feel any vibration from behind or below like I've experienced with u-joints in the past with other vehicles.
The wheel bearing crossed my mind, but I guess I assumed that it would be something constant, not on and off like that.
I will check that out - thanks again for the reply! :)

I had a strange vibration over 60 speed related happened in any gear , and it is now gone , changed lower control arm bushings , they were worn badly . Rubber was worn away in some spots . With new bushings no more vibration . Just a possibility .

Check to see if the vibration occurs :

Under power or coasting.
With the brakes on or off.
With the engine on or off.
Rotate your tires and try again.

This will help give you a clue as to where it is coming from.

-
Back