Odor around air compressor

-

charliec

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This sounds a little strange, but I have noticed an odor in the vicinity of my air compressor that smells like mercaptan, the odorizing chemical that they put in natural gas. There are no gas lines in the vicinity. I haven't always noticed it, i.e. not when the compressor was new. But it has become prevalent in the last year. This is a 6 HP single stage compressor with a 60 gallon receiver; probably 8 years old (+/-). Could this be a by-product of oxidation (rust) inside the receiver? Baffled!!

Yes, every use. Maybe more if running for a long job. We have lots of humidity here.

Dead rat? They stink. Sulfer smell from natural gas takes many forms. Any buried gas ines in area (guess not on reread)? Just dont chase it with a lighter.

Im sure you dont have access to an LEL meter but do you have an AC refrigerant sniffer? Maybe sniff around the area and see what you find. I know my refrigerant sniffer will pick up gasoline and probably anything with hydrocarbons.
Rusty metal can have a funky smell to it. At only 6 years old and the fact that you drain the tank you should not have any significant rust issues.
Humidity sucks! The last couple days have been brutal here...first taste of summer.

Pishta, my first thought was dead mouse. Worst smell in the world. However, they usually dry up and stop smelling after about 2 weeks.
Good point on natural gas lines. Are there nat gas utility lines in the area? A leak underground can travel strange paths. If there is natural gas service in the area I would call the utility company and ask if they could come out and check for leaks. Better for them to find it then you to find it the hard way.

Oh I so want to revert to childish days of old - you know the old "who ever smelt-it dealt-it".

But I wouldn't screw around. Calling the gas company is a free exclusionary precaution in this situation. I mean you seem pretty confident in identifying what you think the smell is similar to.

That same odorant was used in other explosive gases that have no natural smell. I have a bottle of that old R12 replacement that smells like propane. That stuff was short lived because it was blowing up in accidents.
That being said, sulfur smell can happen naturally too. My basement sump pump smells like *** all the time. Stagnant water is funky. With these things in mind take a walk around the area and try to pinpoint the source.

Something else it could be is a motor problem. Capacitors (run or start) ready to or failing can smell

-
Back