Offenhauser Dual-Port 360* Intake ~ 'Was It A Gimmick'

-
ramenth
what engine, heads, cam?

360, bored .030.

Heads are ported and polished 915's with 2.02 valves.

Cam is old school Purple Shaft, 284 duration .484 lift.

Used to be in the kid's Duster when my old man built the engine. 727 with 3.23 gears in an 8.75.

Now the engine sits in my M-body, a-waiting just a set of headers to go with it.

Like I said, this engine pulled hard from off idle, but pulled the hardest from 2500+ on all the way up to manually shifting the trans. Coming out of first to second the sweet spot was 6800, going from 2-3 the sweet spot was about 6200.

With the 3.23's the old man wasn't building a drag car, mind you. He had it set up for top end runs. He liked it best running 90+ mph. The car was never a dog off the line and showed a lot of BBC's and a few FE Fords the taillights in a hurry.

Like I said, what impressed me the most was the throttle response. Instantaneous. No bog, no hesitation.

I like mine and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Are there other intakes out there that might be better because of the dyno slips? Probably.

Better throttle response? Sitting underneath a 3310 I had throttle response like injection. Instantaneous.

The car pulls hard from idle up to 6800.

I'm Curious,

On the Holley #3310. Is that a 780 CFM #4150 Series Carburetor.

What 'Jets' are you using.

Well thats it then. I think Ima gonna order one. #6006DP. Large port?, spreadbore. Anybody got one to sell?
With 3.23s yet! Im kinda excited. I mean I got the kinks worked out of my AG/750DP, Ok. But Ive just always wondered about that OFFY design, but wasnt willing to part with the coin on an unknown.

69Cuda440
I see your PNs posted. Have you seen the large port version ?
And the 15/4500 numbers; is that something that you discovered/proved? Or a quote from somewhere?

~ Offenhauser Dual-Port 360* ~

Tricks from Offenhauser

A} Have the Primary Jets in the Carburetor on the 'lean side'.

B} When the Secondaries open up, the 'high-velocity' of the smaller Primary
Runners will bring the Secondary-flow along for the ride.

C} A Mid-Range Power {2200 to 5500 RPM} Camshaft works best with this
'Dual-Port' Intake.

I'm Curious,

On the Holley #3310. Is that a 780 CFM #4150 Series Carburetor.

What 'Jets' are you using.

750 vacuum secondary.

The old man tuned the carb and he doesn't remember. When the M is up and running I'll have to tune it and let you know what the numbers are. The carb that was sitting on the car wound in a friend's hands.

Wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone else has run one of these intakes.I just picked one up and was thinking of using it on a 71 Dart with a 318 that I'm building.

Offenhauser was a legitimate respected Co. back then. I bought a swap meet Equa Flow 360 I ran
on a 318 port matched to 360 heads worked great. Still hanging on the garage wall it anybody
interested.

And the neat thing about Offy is that they made manifolds for applications that nobody else would touch. Many multiple carb manifolds.

Offenhauser was never a gimmick. Ollie Morris was one of the single smarted people I've ever had the privilege of talking to. I still have my hand written notes from our long phone conversations in 1983 and 1984. What he said then has been proven correctly so many times over I've lost count.

They made the very best tunnel ram ever for Chrysler pcar heads, especially when using the small tops that I can't think of what they called them back then.

i picked up a 360 low rise equa flow two weeks ago from davescuda for my 65 dart cant wait to get it mounted love offey parts they new their s__t years ago you really cant go wrong with them

Have had various small and big block mopars over the years and always thought these offenhausers sounded like a good idea for certain applications. Never got one until now, albeit for a Chevy 454, but I anticipate the results might be relevant. The engine is a 1985 in a Winnebago Chieftain. Less than 25k on it, and runs as it should. Pretty much stock. Not going to be in a hurry to change carbs because what's there starts right up and runs well, but if necessary, will look for more suitable replacements. Will get some baseline stats first and post improvement (if any) ...

Offenhauser Dual-Port

Worked best, with a Camshaft designed for Low-End Torque and
Mid-Range Power.

In a Small Block > Generally, a moderate Performance Camshaft

Much like the Crane Cams {Grind# HIT-280-NC} 'Hi-Intensity' Hydraulic
Lift ..................... .460"
Duration .............. 280*
Duration @ .050" .. 224*
Overlap ................ 52*
LSA ..................... 114*
Valve Springs ....... #90 lbs. {Valve-Closed} ~ #270 lbs. {Valve-Open}

I didn`t read all these posts, but can`t imagine a bigger piece of s--- !!!!!!!!!!!

360, bored .030.

Used to be in the kid's Duster when my old man built the engine. 727 with 3.23 gears in an 8.75.

Now the engine sits in my M-body, a-waiting just a set of headers to go with it.

Like I said, this engine pulled hard from off idle, but pulled the hardest from 2500+ on all the way up to manually shifting the trans. Coming out of first to second the sweet spot was 6800, going from 2-3 the sweet spot was about 6200.

With the 3.23's the old man wasn't building a drag car, mind you. He had it set up for top end runs. He liked it best running 90+ mph. The car was never a dog off the line and showed a lot of BBC's and a few FE Fords the taillights in a hurry.

Like I said, what impressed me the most was the throttle response. Instantaneous. No bog, no hesitation.
360, bored .030.

I know long time ago ,, back in 83, my 70 duster 340, 11 to 1, stock 2.02 heads ,3 angle valve job, sig erson cam kit, .535 lift 315? Duration , crap fairbanks 2000 converter , 2.76 gears , 7 1/4 rear from the 6 banger , , same drives haft too lol , shift at about 7200 to second , that was the end of the qtr , 12.1 secs, my 440 69 charger , on the same qtr miles , was exactly 1 sec slower till i swapped gears :)

Frank-n-Head

The Offenauser 360* 'Equa-Flow' Intake was the standard 'Dual-Plane'
High Rise.

The 360* 'Dual-Port' was the gimmick Intake.
I know oldddd subject lol , but is this the #6006 intake , and your , or anyone thoughts is it a dual port and dual plane intake !?
Some of your description I have already tried to explain to people lol

20200724_192536.jpg

20200724_192417.jpg

I tried one in 73 . It was junk on a 340. I still have it as a conversation piece. I could not sell it to anyone and be honest.

I once put a small port factory cast iron intake on a 340 with 318 heads and the 318 cam. There are no words to describe that throttle response.
I can only imagine what the dual-port might achieve

-
Back