offset upper control arm bushing placement

-

mopar56

Reaction score
Ok, sorry to ask the question that has been posted over and over I am sure but I need clarification, I am installing the " offset" upper control arm bushings in my sons 74 Duster and the instructions are saying something different than what I have read so...do the thin sides of the bushings both face the same way, ( towards the engine or inward ) like in the instructions or dose the front and rear face one towards the wheel and one towards the engine?, trying to get this done today, thanks

The thin side goes toward the tire at the rear of the arm, and toward the engine on the front.
Don't worry, I'm sure. :D

The whole deal is you want the upper ball joint moved toward the rear of the car on both sides.

attachment.php

Has anyone measured the number of degrees of positive caster gained over stock bushings when installing the moog offset bushings as shown?
Is it enough additional degrees that one could feel more resistance in steering effort while
car is not rolling? Probably a silly question but I have always been curious about this.
I have visions of the old dragsters that as the wheels are turned the entire weight of chassis is being lifted.

I got nearly 4* at 0 camber. I gave up a bit for the 1/2* camber, I dialed in.Then I yanked the strut-rods forward and got some back again.Cant go too far on that though. It makes T-bar removal a bit hard and I cant imagine its much good for the LCA bushings. They were poly so I tried it. That was maybe 13 years ago. Car still drives and steers so fine.
-Didnt notice it as to steering effort.I have P/S.

Thanks AJ, that's more than I would have guessed you could gain.

Has anyone measured the number of degrees of positive caster gained over stock bushings when installing the moog offset bushings as shown?
Is it enough additional degrees that one could feel more resistance in steering effort while
car is not rolling? Probably a silly question but I have always been curious about this.
I have visions of the old dragsters that as the wheels are turned the entire weight of chassis is being lifted.

It's not anywhere near that drastic a difference, in fact not even noticable but it sure makes a huge difference in how the car handles and steers going down the road.

There is also the original adjustability via the bolts and cam washers, so they don't have to be as far as they can go.
Just plenty to get a few extra degrees of caster.

Ok, THANKYOU!, that is the way I was going to put them, I am using the NAPA brand equivalent to the Moog and I guess they just got there terminology backwards in the instructions not to mention there is 1 page of English and two of French, maybe i should have paid more attention in French class in school, lol

Oh, one more question...the original bushings had a washer on each side with a slight collar on them that fit inside the bushings that goes between the bushing and control arm, do I re-use them as the originals would be centered not off set like the bushings?

ok went to the garage for a second look and it appears the washers are smaller then I remembered so the offset shouldn't be affected but have you guys been putting them back in?

Ok, THANKYOU!, that is the way I was going to put them, I am using the NAPA brand equivalent to the Moog and I guess they just got there terminology backwards in the instructions not to mention there is 1 page of English and two of French, maybe i should have paid more attention in French class in school, lol

Moog originally designed these to help get cars into alignment that were maxxed out on the eccentric bolt and washer. For instance after a minor accident. They were supposed to be installed so the offset was in the same direction. And maybe on only one side of the car, not necessarily both. That's why the instructions are written that way. Way back in the last century some Mopar guy figured out how to use them to get some decent caster. Without them it's usually not possible to get positive. I run 2* positive wth manual 16:1 steering and 215-60 front tires. It really makes a big difference in how the car tracks at speed.

ok went to the garage for a second look and it appears the washers are smaller then I remembered so the offset shouldn't be affected but have you guys been putting them back in?

If it's the part I am thinking you are talking about those are a sort of retainer/spacer and should be reinstalled.

I dont think so.Those washers go with the previous bushings. The offsets have their own washers. At least the MOOGS do, or used to.All Im saying is dont double washer.I doubt you could even if you tried; theres just not enough room.On the other hand,if your bushings Dont have the washers,then,yes.One washer each end, each bushing.

KosmicKuda, thanks for the explanation, that makes perfect sense, Trailbeast, you are right, the originals did have a insert/washer that can not be transferred, however the one I was referring to was the one on the end of the bushing that has a slight collar on it but I guess like AJ/formS says I need to re-install these probably for were and tear reasons? however my Napa ones didn't come with new washers and I think some of the old ones got thrown out with the old bushings we removed but seeing as these are new/used donor upper "A" arms and the originals are still on the car we will just use those when we do the job, thanks for all the help and explanations, only want to do this job once and correctly!

KosmicKuda, thanks for the explanation, that makes perfect sense, Trailbeast, you are right, the originals did have a insert/washer that can not be transferred, however the one I was referring to was the one on the end of the bushing that has a slight collar on it but I guess like AJ/formS says I need to re-install these probably for were and tear reasons? however my Napa ones didn't come with new washers and I think some of the old ones got thrown out with the old bushings we removed but seeing as these are new/used donor upper "A" arms and the originals are still on the car we will just use those when we do the job, thanks for all the help and explanations, only want to do this job once and correctly!

Mine didn't come with new washers either.
So I would agree to putting them back however you can manage it.

The fist set of Moog I purchased didn't include the special washers but the second set did.
I never found a source to buy them separately either. :(

-
Back