Offy SB intake…. Any good??

-

dadodgekid

When in doubt... floor it
Reaction score
I just got this intake for free basically, cant find much info about performance on a sb mopar. Im considering using it on a 340 I am putting together for my duster. This vs. a speedmaster Air gap knock off? Any thoughts from those who used them? Car will be 4 speed and 3.91 gear.

IMG_3861.jpeg

IMG_3865.png

Because you have 3.91 gears and a four speed, I would run it. It's an older design split single plane, but I would be curious if getting the divider milled out would improve it. The notch in the rear is to allow for using an old Holley 3 barrel.

If you open the plenum up, you basically make it into a Torker 2. Invest in a super sucker spacer and a 750 DP and it would work pretty well for a fun street car with compression and cam to match.

I remember the ads in PAW years ago about those intakes. It was pulled straight from Offenhauser. Their claims were that intake would pull to 8500 with no loss of bottom end torque. I'm not endorsing or arguing with that, just telling you what I remember.

I remember the ads in PAW years ago about those intakes. It was pulled straight from Offenhauser. Their claims were that intake would pull to 8500 with no loss of bottom end torque. I'm not endorsing or arguing with that, just telling you what I remember.
wasn't that the offenhauser port 'o' sonic intake they said would rev that high?
neil.

wasn't that the offenhauser port 'o' sonic intake they said would rev that high?
neil.
That was another one, yes. Unless I have it mixed up....and that's entirely possible, I thought the 360 was advertised that high as well.

I'd be interested to know what the port size is on that manifold.
1705787719463.png

Since it has the 273-only throttle cable bracket boss (red circle), and the early 13/16 bypass fitting (green circle) makes me wonder if it was also engineered with the smaller 273 ports in mind... hard to tell in the pictures, but it does appear to have the later intake bolt size and angle.
Just curious- no personal experience with this particular manifold.

I just got this intake for free basically, cant find much info about performance on a sb mopar. Im considering using it on a 340 I am putting together for my duster. This vs. a speedmaster Air gap knock off? Any thoughts from those who used them? Car will be 4 speed and 3.91 gear.

View attachment 1716195055

View attachment 1716195056
Is it a #5884?
View attachment 1716195147
Since it has the 273-only throttle cable bracket boss (red circle), and the early 13/16 bypass fitting (green circle) makes me wonder if it was also engineered with the smaller 273 ports in mind... hard to tell in the pictures, but it does appear to have the later intake bolt size and angle.

That's a good question. ....and also another thing Offenhauser was famous for. They made intakes for everything pretty much. Big port size, small port size, all of them. @coloradohill posted a great link......I'm just too dang lazy to flip through a PDF. LOL

i'll echo what the others said, and go with running it. ostensibly, you could grind out the divider and run a spacer if you have the hood clearace.

should be fun with a 750 DP 3.90 & 4spd

Offy claims 1800 to 8800 on that intake according to how large of a carburetor you put on it.

Run it, it's a good manifold , I ran one for a while before I switched to at Holley Strip Dominator . I got it from Ed Hamburger, I was running an Edelbrock Torqer ,He said " take that Torqer off and go out in the back yard and throw it as far as you can " ! I didn't throw it away ,but I did get ride of it .

Ill see which version it is.

I have an Offy catalogue & there is NO rpm range quoted for that intake. The only rpm reference is.....'Test results show a 20 hp increase at 6500 rpm over a competitive manifold.'

I was looking for a # 5884 to restore but the ones I found were rough where the Termostat were always eatten up.
Was also looking for a LD340 but same thing. junk I gave up looking, looks like after a nice blast you have a good one. If so run it. Most want good money for junk ones.

Last edited:
-
Back