Oh boy I want to go fast

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
Ok so most of you know I have been building my 73 duster.Well the 360 I droped in and I still want to go faster.Thinking about getting a old dakota truck as a DD and pulling the duster apart and make it a strip some street car.

Looking for it to be a mid 11 low 11 car that can still be drove down the road everynow and then.

Looking at a 360

Stroked to 408 and bored 40 over not sure were to go from there.

I have a 408 thats .040 over(410c.i)with some worked Eddy heads.My car runs mid to high 10,s,11.0? in the humid summer days.If your building a 408 do a bunch of reading here to findout other upgrades to your car(trans,rearend,cooling and suspension)before you blow your budget.Good luck.

Ok so most of you know I have been building my 73 duster.Well the 360 I droped in and I still want to go faster.Thinking about getting a old dakota truck as a DD and pulling the duster apart and make it a strip some street car.

Looking for it to be a mid 11 low 11 car that can still be drove down the road everynow and then.

Looking at a 360

Stroked to 408 and bored 40 over not sure were to go from there.

You will just shoot your eye out, kid.

Ok I was thinking

For some more info
408 not sure on the build yet
3 core 26" radatior
would like a 833 if it can hold up if not a 727
Can a 8 3/4 hold up behind a 11sec car
I want to keep the leafs so just relo the spings and mini tube it.

IMO, you need to slow down....rethink this...how many times have you been to the strip? what does your car run now? can you consistently run those numbers over and over? is everything else up to par, like pettybludart mentioned? you need good brakes, a good cooling system and properly set up suspension...its not cheap, start there...get all that done first...

Not wanting to derail your thread but get your Duster on the road and enjoy it and be satisfied with it for awhile

Not wanting to derail your thread but get your Duster on the road and enjoy it and be satisfied with it for awhile

He's right.
I rebuilt mine to a drag car only and really
Miss having a street car.

X2

Get the dakota DD. But pocket cash and drive that car for a year and see where you're at. Do little, effective mods (chassis work is cheap if you got the tools & patience, and suspension upgrades aren't super costly). Home-made cal-trac's would go a long way in the direction you want to take with the car, for example.

The 8-3/4 will hold a 500cid/RB in the 9's.

Keep it street leagal via working lights, horn, wiper, etc....
Have fun with the removal of everything else. You CAN lighten up the car very much.
Tub the rear if you want as well.

In this way, you can drive it anytime but yet be track worthy.

My suggestion is also to slow down and think your plan through. Make some kind of comprehensive plan as to what you want the car to do, and then compile a list of items needed to get there. More so, try to think this through a little better!! Have you ever driven an 11 second car?? Down the track?? On the street??

I can tell you with relative certainty that an 11 second car on the street is not very road worthy!! The changes needed to make a car consistently run 11's is the exact opposite of what is needed to sucessfully navigate the streets. Solid motor mounts and leaf spring mounts, mini-tubbed and wide rear tires, high rear gear ratio, stroker motor and built trans, suspension set up for racing...none of that is conducive to cornering, braking, maneuvering through traffic behind old ladies, and most importantly SAFETY!!

Race cars belong on the track, period, especially when the driver is a young gun with limited or no experience driving one. Take heed of the input from guys like pettyblu and others who have race cars!! How safe would they feel on the streets driving those cars?? Thats why most racers, them included, also have street driven Mopars!!

Good luck with your project, whichever way you decide to go, but bottom line..stay safe!! Geof

There could be a lot of ET left on the table from your current combo.
Example, if you can't leave hard, of the line, because of tire slip, and your using street tires, well, then a set of rims and slick that you bolt on at the track could make a big difference in 60" foot as well as ET!

They say for ever 100 pound you take of your car is a better ET of .10 There is many hundreds of pound that can be remove from a stock car, with 0 dollars spent.

What does you car run now, what is the present combo?

aka motor transmission rear axle, gear ratio.

60" foot times as well as ET.

There could be a lot of ET left on the table from your current combo.
Example, if you can't leave hard, of the line, because of tire slip, and your using street tires, well, then a set of rims and slick that you bolt on at the track could make a big difference in 60" foot as well as ET!

They say for ever 100 pound you take of your car is a better ET of .10 There is many hundreds of pound that can be remove from a stock car, with 0 dollars spent.

What does you car run now, what is the present combo?

aka motor transmission rear axle, gear ratio.

60" foot times as well as ET.
Better ? might be has he ever ran it down the strip yet? Seems like everyone THINKS they want a "fast" street car. Pick a number on the fast part. I spent a few years riding a big bore sport bike as a commuter. Glad I had hundreds of thousands of miles on a bike prior to this. Nothing really prepares you for the first time you pull the trigger on a low ten/high nine second street machine......you cover ground rather quickly. After riding the thing for a while it was not hard to understand why in-experienced riders/drivers get dead when they finally get there "fast" street bike/car.....Enjoy what you got, learn how to tune it. Learn how to drive. Just because you have a drivers license does not mean you know how to "drive", it just means you were able to pass a test that some knuckle head dreamt up.....

I havent taken it down the strip yet and I dont mean build a 11 sec car and that be my first time down the strip.But I do know that I would like to make it faster and will never be satisfied.I would easy into it but not just jump in a 11 sec car.

I havent taken it down the strip yet and I dont mean build a 11 sec car and that be my first time down the strip.But I do know that I would like to make it faster and will never be satisfied.I would easy into it but not just jump in a 11 sec car.

Spoken like a true Drag Racer!!!:cheers:

Get Out There and Get a Few Laps, aka ET slip under your belt!
You need a base line, and the drag strip is a good place to start!!!

Sure! I always say that on new builds and when the pedal hits the floor my leg suddenly cramps and I cant let off.

Now thats sound thinking there young gun!! As Cudafever said...take what you got to the strip and see what you got!! Get a few passes in, even if they're 18 second runs. It don't matter!! What matters is that you find out where your car is and use that to improve areas one step at a time. You already have a good idea of which parts you must have, like a decent strong rearend and trans, and a motor with decent power. Its all the other areas that will show themselves as you go along!!

You also need to dial in YOUR skills as a racer and get used to what the car is gonna do under your guidance. Experience with the car as you learn how to go faster together will yield BIG in the long run!!

As posted above, do everything that you can for free..a tenth here and a tenth there for no $$ is a good investment, not only in $$ saved but also getting to know your car every step of the way!! It's when you gotta take out the back seat, passenger seat and other creature comforts that you'll be at a crossroads. Faster... or takin' friends along for some Saturday night cruisin'!! Oh, to be young again!! Geof

It doesn't take a 408 to run 11s, and if your suspension isn't set up as well as your engine all you're going to do is make tire smoke and spend money.

I'm running mid-high 11s with a junkyard shortblock. With cam, heads and intake it makes about 330 horsepower at the tires through a built 904. My car still has the bench seat, full interior, iron heads, etc. It is not tubbed and drives very well on the street. It is always driven to the gas pump when I need fuel. I have beaten many racers with more motor than I have.

You want a 904, not a 727. The 727 is a horsepower robbing, heavy trans. The 904 takes less horspower to turn and pull down the track. It will definitely hold 10 second power (and way beyond) You just have to build it right.

Cal-tracs are awesome for those of us who want to run a fast street/strip car.

Also, for a lot less than you'd be looking to spend on a trans and a 408, I know where there's a rust free 11 second car for sale. ;)

-
Back