Oh dear God! 318 stroker

-
For the OP... I can't help but to ask, what exactly is the intended purpose of this build and what heads are you intending on using?
It's an itch I've been wanting to scratch for 30 years. I've done chevy and ford's with the same Cid and have always been happy with the rpm and quickness. Street strip.

It's an itch I've been wanting to scratch for 30 years. I've done chevy and ford's with the same Cid and have always been happy with the rpm and quickness. Street strip.
That seems like odd sizes for ford and chev, it's a normal size from mopar cause of the 340, which your not using lol, what were you running for ford and chev ?

Last edited:
I wouldn't use that base as a way to build a sb mopar that's for sure. You haven't lived till you try a 4" crank on the street!

I have to agree with that statement. If you've got the cylinder heads to support it, the 1.54:1 rod ratio and light pistons really bring out the best in it.

Hello I'm new here and this might be the end of me for even bringing this up but...... after a long search on the web I have not found what I'm looking for. I have a LA 318 that is sentimental to me so it is what it is. I am looking to stroke it 340-349 Cid. No more no less. I see a lot of stroker kits to get 390 but it's not what I'm looking for. I understand that this is a dumb thing to hash through but any help would be much appreciated!
For what it's worth . I currently have a 1973 318 with a 360 crankshaft in it. You have to have the mains turned down from 360 to 318/340 specs. I had the block punched .030 over so now the correct cubes are 350.96. I suggest you pay special attention to your pistons. Wrist pin location can be critical. DO NOT LET THEM TALK YOU INTO ZERO DECKING THE BLOCK!!!!!! That creates a whole nother problem.

Because you don't need to. By putting in the early tall compression height piston, it actually comes out of the deck a little. Disclaimer: I speak of Magnum blocks.

349 ci stroker, look at .030 283 chevy pistons for a .005 over bore, 283 .060 pistons for a ,035 over bore, but pin holes need cut bigger, skirts need clearance'd from crank throws and then valve notches are off and need machining,..then balancing this hole deal, cheaper ways to do better! dad always said a hard head makes a soft ***, good luck!

I always wondered what it would be like to wear my underwear on backwards for a whole day. But never did it. Sometimes it pays go with the flow. Why make things more difficult than they already are.

I always wondered what it would be like to wear my underwear on backwards for a whole day. But never did it. Sometimes it pays go with the flow. Why make things more difficult than they already are.
Wouldn't building any small bock be going against the flow or even building a Mopar in the first place? Not saying a building a non 340 to 340-349 cid is money well spent but at least he's got more potential then the /6 guy's have.:)

Wouldn't building any small bock be going against the flow or even building a Mopar in the first place? Not saying a building a non 340 to 340-349 cid is money well spent but at least he's got more potential then the /6 guy's have.:)

Why would building any small block Mopar be against the flow. Thousands of them in my area. With lots of parts available over the counter. But when you paddle uphill and the rewards are less horsepower than other easier builds why bother. It just doesn’t make sense.

Why would building any small block Mopar be against the flow. Thousands of them in my area. With lots of parts available over the counter. But when you paddle uphill and the rewards are less horsepower than other easier builds why bother. It just doesn’t make sense.
No replacement for displacement, even stroked small block fall short of most stock sized big blocks never mind stroked big blocks.

So building anything smaller than a 440 goes against conventional wisdom, IDK just making sarcastic observation with you posts, meant in jest.

I really don’t care what some one’s wants to build for their mopar as long it’s mopar engine and even then I’m getting more flexible. As long as they know the pros and cons of their decision their money.

To me anyone building around 450+ Hp NA should probably be building big block most of the time. And anyone stroking a small block should probably building a big block also. And anyone would probably be better off with a big block at any power level. That’s my personal view. Which probably goes against the view of me siding with /6 273 and 318 etc.. guys :) run what you want.

No replacement for displacement, even stroked small block fall short of most stock sized big blocks never mind stroked big blocks.

So building anything smaller than a 440 goes against conventional wisdom, IDK just making sarcastic observation with you posts, meant in jest.

I really don’t care what some one’s wants to build for their mopar as long it’s mopar engine and even then I’m getting more flexible. As long as they know the pros and cons of their decision their money.

To me anyone building around 450+ Hp NA should probably be building big block most of the time. And anyone stroking a small block should probably building a big block also. And anyone would probably be better off with a big block at any power level. That’s my personal view. Which probably goes against the view of me siding with /6 273 and 318 etc.. guys :) run what you want.

What planet are you from and just how fast is your big block. Lol

Hello I'm new here and this might be the end of me for even bringing this up but...... after a long search on the web I have not found what I'm looking for. I have a LA 318 that is sentimental to me so it is what it is. I am looking to stroke it 340-349 Cid. No more no less. I see a lot of stroker kits to get 390 but it's not what I'm looking for. I understand that this is a dumb thing to hash through but any help would be much appreciated!
I have a recipe from a 1990 magazine for a 349.19 cube 318. I can scan the article if you are interested.
it uses a 360 crank, 318 rods, .030 overbore and 360 heads.

Last edited:
I understand the idea, but the economics are just not there. For the cost of an oddball crank and custom pistons, you would be better off with the teen built right with off the shelf components.
I would recommend searching and watching David Vizard Powertec 10.videos on porting and the Mission Impossible build initiated by Uncle Tony. David has a few just on lightening and prepping the rods and crank, much of which you could do at home.
Cam selection is critical. I would start with David's LSA determination formula.
To lighten the valvetrain, check a video he didon that with more to come. Magnum valves with 8mm stems may lower weight, but DV is looking to install Chev LM7 LS valves. These are 20g to 25g lighter. Beehive springs and retainers will reduce valvetrain mass more. Check the videos, there is a wealth of information there.

Terry Brighton Racing just dynoed a 318/390 stroker with Trick Flows, Air Gap, 1.6 Harland Sharp rockers, Lunati hydraulic roller .243/251, .560/.565, 110/106, 780 carb, 1" 4 hole spacer. Made 535 hp,535 torque. Just something to think about.

I have a (?yellow steel?) forged 3.51 crankshaft, but you would have to order custom pistons-it should put you into the 340 cubic range sir.

349 ci stroker, look at .030 283 chevy pistons for a .005 over bore, 283 .060 pistons for a ,035 over bore, but pin holes need cut bigger, skirts need clearance'd from crank throws and then valve notches are off and need machining,..then balancing this hole deal, cheaper ways to do better! dad always said a hard head makes a soft ***, good luck!
If this legitament, I have the mopar con rods 6.123” with Chevy-sized wrist pin journals as well. But you would ONLY have to pay the machinist to angle in some correct-angle valve reliefs into the pistons.

If this legitament, I have the mopar con rods 6.123” with Chevy-sized wrist pin journals as well. But you would ONLY have to pay the machinist to angle in some correct-angle valve reliefs into the pistons.
and trim the skirts to clear the crank throws,..then balance! but yeah the CH's work out good on the pistons. still makes better since to build a 360, cheaper to!

-
Back