oh no, ford carbs on slant!

-

pumppy10

Reaction score
thats right folks, could not find the carbs i needed to install my offy 2-1bbl. intake so i got with a friend of mine who runs a slant . turns out he had the same trouble some years ago and talked to an OLD motor head who turned him onto the idea of running these ford style carbs. I must admit, seems like a mortal sin, putting ford parts on the old girl, but his runs AWSOME! So now I'm giving it a shot. I was able to buy both carbs from a local parts house for $100.00 for both, guy was glad to see them off his shelve since they have been there for years. Couple of bucks for some steel tubing and alittle time for bending lines, not bad for an trail idea.

Attachments

• resized pic.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 370
That looks good to me; nice installation.

Any part numbers for us ? or what they were used on ? Looks like a good replacement.
Please let us know how well they work. Thanks !!

Why aren't the carbs identical?

Just to be different !!!jk Kool factor multiplied by 2,I like it !!!The color on my current project Dart is Bright Calypso Green,oh chitt,a Ford color !! DILLIGAF ??? Keep up the good work !! Now all you need to set that off is a shiny Offy Valve Cover,OR,get your stock one Powder Coated by Leanna !!!:prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=180271

here is a pic on how to run the tubing so both the chokes work. i have not found out yet what fords these fit, but i think they were for the early mustangs with the sixs. as soon as i am able to trac the parts numbers down (have had no luck since the company who produced them went out of business like 20 years ago, and the parts store tossed the catalogs for them long ago) i can shed some more light on this. My buddy who i got the info from is out of town, when he gets back i will ask him what they fit.

Attachments

• newest111.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 315
Those are both Maverick carburetors.

I think this might become a very popular option. Putting mopar parts on a mopar makes no sence these days,too many idiot's asking 2006 prices. Im going with Gm tbi,the whole system,computor,harness and all. Why? Because mopar stuff is so expensive it' should be a mortal sin.

im curious to know if they would be more reliable.

well, i fired it up about 1/2 hour ago. 3 cranks after filing fuel bowls and off to the races. After doing some minor tuning, had it running smooth as silk. When throttle was cracked she went right with it, nice rev up and all. Tomm. i will button her all up and see what it does on the road.

after doing alittle more looking, looks like i'm gonna have a problum with hood clearance with the front carb. Might have to get out the spare hood and do some cutting. Looks like it might be time for either a hemi style scoop or a 6 pack hood.

They look good on there.A few years back I used two Pinto carbs on a Corvair-they were short and two stage.Really woke that six up.Hope you don't have to cut that hood,it looks like a nice one.Good Luck-looks like you are on the right page!!!

well, looks like air cleaner is gonna be trouble, oh well, wanted to put some sort of scoop on it. i have a spare hood i can chop to make something fit. If is was easy it would be no fun anyway. just a chance to modify some more.

I'm getting ready to mount the same set-up on my 62 Lancer wagon. However I'm using two BBS carbs.

took her out for the maiden voyage today, man what a differance! throttle responce like CRAZY! can not wait to see how this set up works on the 225 i building, that will have a monster cam and all the fixings to go with in it. This really woke up this stock 170!

I like it!! Just looking at it is impressive. Heck, it doesn't even need to run and it would be cool. I would think it would be responsive. Dennis

Ha, I got a Ford carb on my 6 too (Holley 350 CFM 2bbl off a 352 Ford truck) Hey it was 20 bucks on Ebay, not $350 from Summit for a new Holley 350.
DSC00027.JPG

Sweet idea i have a 170 iam playing around with and iam going to try this. I agree its a shame some of the prices people ask for their stuff. Go Fropar!

and so it begins, what combo will we see next, a ford 300 head on a 225 block with a chevy 250 crank? let the frankinstien engine expermants begine!

part numbers off of the carbs would be helpful, friend of mine owns
a parts place that has been around forever and he may have some sitting on the
shelf also.

I had the same problem with my Holley 390 cfm (ford Carb) and did this, and also wanted cool fresh air to hit the engine, I did not have an extra hood so it was this, off a 4.0 Jeep. Mine is also a 170 /6. how did you get headers for these 170 low deck engines to fit with out hitting the water pump ?
I like your set up and the same here on a big change on response, HP and better gas milage got much better and as you can see I had my manifolds split to get the potato out of the exhaust

Attachments

• Picture%20222%20092.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 150
  • fresh positive air with out drag.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 146
and so it begins, what combo will we see next, a ford 300 head on a 225 block with a chevy 250 crank? let the Frankinstien engine expermants begine!

"Frankenstein" experiments are not likely in this case, because the 250 Chevy engine has 7 (seven) main bearings; the slant 6 has just 4... plus the 250 Chevy crank has a stroke about a tenth of an inch shorter than a 198 slant; It would give you about 192 cubic inches, so what would be the point?

The Ford head would never work because of the mismatch between the bore size (Ford is 4"; /6 is 3.4") and the combustion chambers....

If you want to go stupid fast with a slant 6, you need to think about either N20 or forced induction. Forget about trying to make it "BIG" with a lot of cubic inches, because the head will always defeat you; it was designed for 170 cubic inches, and while you can port it and put (somewhat) bigger valves in it, the small bore dictates valve sizes that won't allow the kind of really impressive flow numbers necessary for high specific output (1.75 HP/cubic inch, for example.) The 170 CAN get those big specific output numbers by spinning 7,500 RPM but unless you're "class racing" where engine size is a factor, the displacement deficit is just too big...

Mark Etherdge (Guzzi Mark) has proved that you can go as fast as low 11's normally-aspirated with a 225, as long as you're not pulling a lot of weight (I think his car has been lightened to about 2,350 pounds,) but most A bodies are up around 3,000 pounds, and beyond, which changes the picture dramatically.

I think the slant 6 is one of the greatest engines ever to come from Mopar, and I am really excited about running one in our car, but they take a little "understanding." I wouldn't run anything else...

Well, now that I have learned a little about them, I wouldn't.

Before I knew much about slant 6's I built a '72 Valiant with a 360 Magnum with a blower (Vortech,) but if I had it to do all over again, I'd put a slant 6 in that car... seriously. In a New York minute!!!

They are just amazing...

-
Back