Oil all over motor ???

-

MR.7DUSTER3

His money, My time
Reaction score
Yesterday we boosted up the RPMs to 6000 on our 360, we took it out for a run and now its got a lot of oil all over the engine and compartment. We have a breather cap on the one valve cover and never had this problem before , could it be that since the engine is working at higher RPMs that it needs to breathe more and if so how do we accomplish this. This engine does not have a Pcv valve on it.

Bob

where did the oil come from...the dipstick or a leak in the oil pressure sender or line and a pvc is a good idea or maybe oil filter adapter has a leak kinda sounds like a pressure leak.. good luck

Gonna have to clean it up real good and then see where it's coming from. How long was the test run? Do you just have 2 open breathers, One on each valve cover?

higher rpm increases crankcase pressure if i remember right so i would check the things listed above and if no holes or leaks are found i would upgrade the crankcase evac system to relieve the pressure better if you plan to spin 6000 again

higher rpm increases crankcase pressure if i remember right so i would check the things listed above and if no holes or leaks are found i would upgrade the crankcase evac system to relieve the pressure better if you plan to spin 6000 again

xs2 .... when i first installed my MP valve covers, i started with just a breather and blew oil out on my dipstick tube and around the breather. so then i drilled out the opposite side and put in a PCV going to the carb and never looked back, problem fixed

What are you running, exactly, for valve covers and breather(SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSssssss)?

Hint: ONE is not enough

Many of these aftermarket valve covers, IE most, are not baffled like the stockers, so that's the first thing against you

You need a good baffled breather, and it SHOULD be hooked to the air filter instead of the open air, because even most clean engines will "puke" some at high RPM. That is WHY the manufacturers all plumbed the breather that way, because it's not always an "intake" even with PCV

And you certainly should be running a PCV

This Post is scheduled to be closed due to NEI (not enough information) in 1 hour. JK:toothy8:
But seriously, If we were there, we would first clean everything up then check for leaks then start to diagnose the situation.

xs2 .... when i first installed my MP valve covers, i started with just a breather and blew oil out on my dipstick tube and around the breather. so then i drilled out the opposite side and put in a PCV going to the carb and never looked back, problem fixed

x3 when i did my I ran it for a very short time without a pcv or breather, blew so much oil out of from under the valve covers I had pools:banghead::banghead::banghead:
Put a pcv on it and see how that works, a breather my not be enough.

if you are running the engine at WOT like at the drag strip..a PCV is not going to do any good...since it requires manifold vacuum...and at WOT there is not much....that is why racers hook the breathers up to the header collectors to provide a vaccum...

Do any of you guys have any pics of your pcv valve set up, I know we have to do do some thing , but it still has to look good too. My valve covers and air cleaner are Mopar proformance and not sure if they are set up for any thing else,

Thanks , Bob

i have my MP valve covers set up the same way. drivers side rear is the PCV to the carb and the opposite side is my breather. there are blanks in the MP covers that i had to drill out and install a grommet and the PCV. i use a breather/cap on the opposite side

Attachments

• d228.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 388
  • d229.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 359
here is picture of oil breather to air cleaner side then pcv side to carb
dartsummer2011019.jpg
dartsummer2011012.jpg

You MUST USE A PCV!!! Breathers alone aint good enough! Seals & gaskets need negative pressure to work. Breathers only let air in. Most of the post on here with oil leaks are from people with new VCs or a fresh rebuilt engine that haven't got a PCV valve hooked up or have it hooked up incorrectly.

You MUST USE A PCV!!! Breathers alone aint good enough! Seals & gaskets need negative pressure to work. Breathers only let air in. Most of the post on here with oil leaks are from people with new VCs or a fresh rebuilt engine that haven't got a PCV valve hooked up or have it hooked up incorrectly.

Eh......Breathers are nothing more than a "controlled" hole in the valve cover, with a baffle and usually some foam to keep oil from flying out....Air can go in...air can go out, no check valve. A PCV valve IS a check valve (just shake it and listen to the ball rattle). This will only let air out (for the most part) when functioning correctly.

For what it's worth, I have had 2 breathers on my race/street car for 20 years now with no leaks (4 different engines too).

Eh......Breathers are nothing more than a "controlled" hole in the valve cover, with a baffle and usually some foam to keep oil from flying out....Air can go in...air can go out, no check valve. A PCV valve IS a check valve (just shake it and listen to the ball rattle). This will only let air out (for the most part) when functioning correctly.

For what it's worth, I have had 2 breathers on my race/street car for 20 years now with no leaks (4 different engines too).
Do you ever see a little smoke coming from your breathers?

There's always a small bit of manifold vacuum present on a N/A engine for the PCV - even at WOT. It's the same pressure differential that fills the cylinders. It's just not more than an inch or so at best and for the most part, if the rings are fluttering and sealing is lost you're pushing so much oil pastthem it can't move enough to keep up anyway.
I always run a PCV. Occasionally on track days when they're running hard it does drip a little from the open breather side, but it's rare. You can use larger PCVs too. I normally spec big block Chevy valves when I have the chance to set them up because they are designed to pass more air than the Mopar specific ones, and they seal well in the larger grommets in the aftermarket covers. Honestly if there's that much oil coming out, there's probably a ring sealing issue and it's not making as much power up there as you might want.

Are you running any other sort of pan evacuation system on your car?

Does any body know if a K& N push in breather will fit in the excisting hole in a Mopar Performance valve cover. I beleive its a 1 1/4 grommet but not sure.
Or do I have to pull off valve covers and redrill ???

Thanks , Bob

I'm not sure about the K&N, but I do know that Autozone has a cheap twist on breather that fits...just takes the place of your filler cap. I have one on my motor, I think it was 5 bucks.

-
Back