oil crossover-valve cover

-
There is a road race dart on here and he has an oil breather cross over so he doesn,t blow a rear seal???????
On this forum I have not been able to figure out pictures yet?

That's not an oil crossover, it's the breather system. The basic premise is on a extended-high-rpm car there may be too much crankcase pressure even with the usual means of addressing it. That combination of tubes and the higher breathers means it doesnt have oil vapor and eventually oil all over the engine compartment like a car with the breathers right in the valve cover might. It gives the vapor a chance to condense out of the crankcase gasses and run back to the valve covers. Usually you see them on circle track and road race/Trans-Am type engines.

That's not an oil crossover, it's the breather system. The basic premise is on a extended-high-rpm car there may be too much crankcase pressure even with the usual means of addressing it. That combination of tubes and the higher breathers means it doesnt have oil vapor and eventually oil all over the engine compartment like a car with the breathers right in the valve cover might. It gives the vapor a chance to condense out of the crankcase gasses and run back to the valve covers. Usually you see them on circle track and road race/Trans-Am type engines.

How can i find out how to set - up this system?
I cannot find the thread on here again or i would send the gentlemen a message

Moper's right, it's a breather system. I don't know if road race cars are setup the same as drag cars but on drag cars you have the valve cover breathers plumbed into a one way valve located in the header that creates a vacuum to suck the vapors out. You have to have open headers for it to work though as any back pressure nullifies it's effect.

To post pictures you have to click on "go advanced" and then below the box you type the message in is a grey box titled "advanced options". In that box is a window called "manage attachments". Click on that and a window will appear that you can download your pictures in. Note that the picture size can't be real big or it won't accept it. If the picture is too big it'll tell you and you will have to re-size it.

Would this work if your mufflers are not real restrictive?
Does this make your exhaust smoke-blue smoke?

Would this work if your mufflers are not real restrictive?
Does this make your exhaust smoke-blue smoke?

I don't think so because it works off of vacuum created by the hot exhaust going high speed out of the headers. Lets say you have the absolute best exhaust system in the world and the back pressure is only .1 psi. (nearly impossible). That's still pressure which is the opposite of vacuum. The only way that it might possibly work is if you would put the valves near the end of the tail pipes and run hoses all the way back up front to the breathers. I wish I knew an easy way to make it work cause I'd do it on my car.

It won't make your exhaust smoke blue unless the rings are shot and puking oil out.

Here's a picture of a road race setup. Totally different from the style drag racers use in their exhaust.

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 417
WOW-Looks Great!!!
Could i get a diaghram of the set up or an explanation would be easier for you?

Are you planning on running @ WOT for extended periods of time ?
Unless your engine will turn 7k or better I'm not sure if there will be much benefit on the strip .

Are you planning on running @ WOT for extended periods of time ?
Unless your engine will turn 7k or better I'm not sure if there will be much benefit on the strip .
Road race Dart and WOT open for extended periods. Constantly on it for 20 minutes at a time

I agree, the cross over is a breather. Among other things, the cross over provides a place for oil to go during extended hard cornering. One of the problems of road and roundy-round racers alike is not so much getting lube to the engine parts, it's getting the oil back to the pan or sump for recirculation. Don't want oil to fill a breather sealing it off and not allowing a cylinder bank to drain properly. Another work around is to use a scavenge pump to move excess oil from the valve covers to the pan or sump.

Very tidy installation. Have a question. What is the bung welded into the pipe holding? Ain't never seed no wiring on a breather crossover before. :blackeye:

Attachments

• Road Race engine breather 1.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 259
That, like mentioned, is for oil conrol when doing serious road racing. If you don't do serious racing, this mod is only cosmetic.

RGHT an I am not that serious but
I HAVE BEEN BITEN BY THE LOOKS COOL BUG!!
You guy's no the bug(dangerous Bug)
Someone on here gave simple instructions on how to post pcs.
I will try to do it agan this weekend
Dart is in primer but its part of the fun

Will my oil accumulater protect my engine if i was to get to much oil up in my heads??
I am running an 8qt drag pan with swivel pick-up

-
Back