Oil dipstick plug, what to use?

-

HemiTM

Reaction score
Finishing up building my 360. Went to put in the new dipstick into the block. It`s not going to happen. This is a drag car, so I figure I will just put a plug in the hole where the dipstick goes. The dipstick also hits the windage tray. I don`t want to tap the opening. Any suggestions on what to use for a plug?

One option might be to take a stock dip stick tube, cut it to yhe length you like, weld the top shut and tap it in place.

Another option is to put the stock tube in place and cut the dipstick shoty so it is in place but does not function.

are you sure the old dipstick is not broken off in the hole...?? as to why you can not get new dipstick in?

I don't know if they make one to fit a Mopar but the GM engines use a plug like a freeze plug.

Attachments

• $T2eC16d,!zUE9s38+pt6BRFO73rrj!~~60_35.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 355
I've always used a round allen-headed bolt, 1/4" or 5/16", forgot which, and siliconed it in - whichever one is tighter in the hole, as long as the old tube isn't broken off in it.
Never had it come out.

I have used black RTV. It held for several seasons, I do think there are better solutions out there though.

-
Back