Oil filter block plate

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
Trying to avoid the Canton o ringed plate but not sure how the factory set it up. The little dark red gasket is a thin steel core and came with my kit. Does it go UNDER the plate or between the filter nipple and the plate. I don't ever remember seeing it on at least a few teardowns.

Don't be likin' no leaks!
20170122_182642.jpg

Thanks TB. ...man I wouldn't use that 90 degree thing under any circumstances. It's a big restriction in the system, if ya ask me.

Is the factory block plate and bolt (the one that uses a 3/8 extension to tighten) still available new? Anyone have a part number?

The one that uses a 3/8 extension is a restriction to the system. I use the one that uses a 1 inch socket, and drill it out to 1/2 inch. Along with all the other 1/2 in stuff Guitar Jones recommends.
Always seem to have very good oil pressure. And I run solid rollers in LA blocks.

I know I have a plate and probably the filter bolt, if ya need it.

The one that uses a 3/8 extension is a restriction to the system. I use the one that uses a 1 inch socket, and drill it out to 1/2 inch. Along with all the other 1/2 in stuff Guitar Jones recommends.
Always seem to have very good oil pressure. And I run solid rollers in LA blocks.

I know I have a plate and probably the filter bolt, if ya need it.
Thanks for the offer but I had called the dealer after posting this. The plate is 53021053 and the filter bolt (Dodge calls it a connector) is 53007563-AB. It's a 1/2" internal diameter with a hex shoulder in the middle. $17 and I'm good to go.

I've only ever used the large circular gasket between the plate the block. I've never used a little one on the plates.

My pump blew that plate off the block. I doubled the number of holes in it and made them all larger, and chamferred them . Then I switched to some thinner oil,lol.No more problems.
Well to tell the truth, I assumed it blew the plate off, cuz the filter was fine. I guess it could have been either. In any case 10W30 solved it
:)

I've only ever used the large circular gasket between the plate the block. I've never used a little one on the plates.
I didn't use the little one either. Didn't see a need AND seems to me like it could cause a sealing issue with the outer main gasket. I wanted the filter adapter to pull the plate in nice and tight to the block.

the small red gasket is used with the 90 only from what I have researched. If you want to use it, you could use it on the outside of the plate to prevent galling of the nut against the plate. I just bought the nut ($3.48 from Oconee Off-road that is called out for a 91-11 Jeep Wrangler, 53007563AB) and it fits perfectly. Use the large gasket under the plate and it will lift the plate about 2mm off the bolt boss, and the nipple will cinch it down tight against the inlet. There is no gap so there is no oil bypass there. I had to give my plate a little tap to get some clearance there as my cut out 1/32 cork gasket is probably the wrong thickness.

If I recall there is a different height plate for the R blocks and the Magnum blocks vs the older blocks. The older plate might not contact the block in the center when tightening the filter nipple.

I didn't use the little one either. Didn't see a need AND seems to me like it could cause a sealing issue with the outer main gasket. I wanted the filter adapter to pull the plate in nice and tight to the block.
Yes.... if were to leak between the plate and block around the center hole, where would the leakage go? It would have to somehow go past the threads in the block from the pressure side to the outlet side. Seal the nipple threads in the block and the small gasket is not necessary.

Boy this thread is OLD LOL

-
Back