Oil filter plate

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Sorry guys not sure of the name of the part.But its the fastener the holds the oil filter plate to the block that the oil filter spinns on.Well after priming the 360 I found a leak were that large round gasket is.So I got a new gasket,got out an 1 inch socket,the builder must of used lock tight cause I can get it to budge but whats worse I have rounded it some, now my socket wont grab.How in the hell am I going to get it off.If I left it alone it sure would be a leak at that gasket.I have a buddy thats going to see what he can do,its on my engine stand.Any tips I am lost,there is no way to put this new 360 in,it will leak there forsure.:angry7:OOO so close again.On the bright side i got my new oil pan on tonight.

Pipe wrench. Bigger the better.

Pipe wrench. Bigger the better.

Thats a good idea but there is not much room between were the soceket would go and the plate.Looks like I would have to get a new fitting,so what about grabing onto were the filter screws on to, than thoes threads would be toast.Man not going to sleep tonight.:clock:

Snap-On 6-point socket.. I have taken things loose with mine after they have been rounded off with other brands of sockets. Or, a good pair of vise grips. Also, you might try applying a bit of heat to it first...

Sounds like your builder had the right socket that fit perfectly and used an impact gun to tighten it. Be careful on an engine stand, they can tip over and think about all the stress on the back of the block.

I'm planing on priming my motor once its in a car and my builder told me the oil filter apater plate I should install.

If you can I would take the motor back to the builder.

Snap-On 6-point socket.. I have taken things loose with mine after they have been rounded off with other brands of sockets. Or, a good pair of vise grips. Also, you might try applying a bit of heat to it first...

Tryed vice grips,slips off not much to grab on to ,last resort is to grab onto were the filter spins onto with a pipe wrench.i know a new fitting is a must now.what do you guys thing .keep your ideas comeing.Not sure we want to take it to the builder we kiund of parted on a sour note.

Do you have a welder?Maybe tac-weld and old wrench to it,just to crack it loose?If you get stuck without a new piece,I have a 90 degree adapter sitting here with bolt.:-D

Do you have a welder?Maybe tac-weld and old wrench to it,just to crack it loose?If you get stuck without a new piece,I have a 90 degree adapter sitting here with bolt.:-D

Thanks Scott.I have one of thoes on my 318 and when this comes off I will use it.I guess I should of gave him that first.

................I gotten rounded off bolts/nuts with the MAC EDGE sockets.......i dont have 1 that size though..........does 1 of ur mechanic buddies have them?........or maybe 1 of the shops in town will lend/rent u 1 2 do the job............kim......

Hey Don, I dont know if it will help or not, but Parts Source, has a tool "rental" . I've never used them but they may be able to help you out. If you get to the point, maybe a LH drill bit. I have used them on smaller stuff and they worked great. Or like Pettyblu said, tac a wrench on to it. Good luck, let us know how you make out and what you end up doing
Steve

I have a 1" socket I had to grind the taper off of. The nut part is so thin you can't get the socket to grab much unless you make it flate rather than tapered at the end. If it's messed up you can buy replacements or ask aropund. I can probably find one if you need it too. If you cant get it loose, you can also get two nuts the same thread as the filter (1/2-28?) and double nut it to get it off. Or a welder and weld a nut to the filter nipple. They have to be fairly tight or the filter plate will leak.

Well thanksss guys you have all been great help.My son and i just loaded it up and it is now in the hands of the shop that rebuilt it.sunny and nice today and this would of been the day to slide it in.

Now when the shop gets it off and puts it back in, make sure it is not backwards cause it will leak again...this happened to me. It is one of the things you learn the hard way.

Ok it is now back home,he said useing the right socket is what I needed.my plan now is to use the 90 degree adapter of my 318,but have to wait till tuesday for the gasket kit.This FU$%^&*360 better be worth it.

-
Back