oil filter question

-

Pirate duster

Reaction score
i went to wal mart today to pick up an oil filter for my duster and wasnt able to figure out which one to get? 1971 318. any help? thanks

Other than LENGTH, all Mopar V8 spin on filters "are the same." Wix 51515 is the standard "long" filter, I've forgotten the short one. DO NOT use Fram filters.

Hi. I also prefer NAPA gold filters which are made by Wix (mostly because I work for NAPA). The number for the short filter is 51068 and you can also use 51085 which is even shorter if you have clearance issues. Bobby

Or you can run a remote filter setup and run a big *** oil filter.

sweet. i have taken a lot of you guys' advice the last couple of months and wont stop now. im gettin really excited about gettin my motor in. i got my heads ported and matched to my spankin new eddy performer rpm air gap, brand new eddy 600, new cam, cant member it, but abodyjoe gave me advice on that, dome pistons, and hot bathed the block. gonna drop it in hopefully in a few weeks, and just getting everything lined up. then i have plenty of wiring issues. im gonna need a lot of help with that too. thanks to all

I use the el cheapo Frams for breakins and then switch to the Wix when I know all is well. J.Rob

Don't buy Fram filters they suck. I use Wix filters.

Yes. but as far as size have them cross reference the Fram 43 filter for mopars and not substitute the Ford 8A filter. 3/4 quart vs whole quart. With the fram 43 equivalent, you will use 5 quarts on the button for full oil on dipstick. The fram 8A for ford will require an extra 1/4 quart.

Fram is PH43 which I used to use and now I use the Wix 51068. Shorter full sized. I also used the PH8A Fram for the longer filter when it used to fit. Same filters as what fits on the older V8 fords (302, 351 etc) before they went modular. If you need a skinny filter the PH3600 is the same gasket and threads.

Hey I work at Napa also i use 1515 on my 340 but the 1085 and 1068 will spin on but its a tight if u got the 90 degree adapter... 1515 works the best in my opinion, no so fat.

krazykuda you beat me....if you want a truely tiny filter with the same threads and gasket the ph3614 works. This was the filter on the old 2.2's but could work on a V8 Mopar or Ford if space was that much of a problem. I worked a few years in an oil change shop so we had to come up with some different options for some modified vehicles. Changed the oil on everything from a Hemi Cuda, SD455 trans am, L88 vette, 58 Vette with cartridge filter, Lamborgini Countach (white on white to boot), Ferrari Testarossa, Porche 928 S4, high end Mercedes, Semi truck and every kind of modified vehicle you could dream up. We were well known as the shop to go to for the truely exotic in the Soo in those days. They used to ask for me personally because I appreciated their cars. Those were the days.

I like Purolator filter.
For our cars they take the number L14670 if I remember right.

................with the same threads and gasket the ph3614.....................

I don't see any reason to keep posting more and more Phram numbers. These filters have been proven to be junk, AND BESIDES THAT this number is listed for Chevrolet applications.

There is a HELL of a lot more to picking a filter than "thread size and gaskets." Some of them have internal bypass and check / drain back valves, and SHOULD NOT be interchanged without due research.

Before the flame war starts, I sold auto parts in a previous life for more than 15 years.

We sold Wix, AC, and Hastings, and a few Baldwin and Purolator.

Baldwin numbers and Wix numbers:
B2 5-13/32 long WIX 51515
B233 4-3/8 long WIX 51068
B34 3-7/8 long WIX 51085
B7221 2-9/16 long WIX 51335

Other than LENGTH, all Mopar V8 spin on filters "are the same." Wix 51515 is the standard "long" filter, I've forgotten the short one. DO NOT use Fram filters.
Sorry to correct u sir but the new v8 mopar filters are part#4884899ab and are metric thread therefore will not work looks the same as the 5281090 but different same with the 4892339aa vs 4105409ac and 5184231aa vs 4781452bb the filters look the same but are metric

Sorry to correct u sir but the new v8 mopar filters are part#4884899ab and are metric thread therefore will not work looks the same as the 5281090 but different same with the 4892339aa vs 4105409ac and 5184231aa vs 4781452bb the filters look the same but are metric

You are correct of course but only on the newest models 08 and later. I was thinking "in the context of the question" IE LA engines, and I believe only the hemi engines (of the V8s) use the metric filter.

-
Back