Oil filter relocation kit

-

Docmcg

Reaction score
I’d like to remote mount my oil filter in my ‘65 A100 with the /6. Just think it was ridiculous that Mopar chose to mount a filter upside down! Has anyone done this and is there a recommended kit? Thanks,Steve.

I’d like to remote mount my oil filter in my ‘65 A100 with the /6. Just think it was ridiculous that Mopar chose to mount a filter upside down! Has anyone done this and is there a recommended kit? Thanks,Steve.
Disagree? Would you like pictures?

I’d like to do a full relocation of the filter. Maybe to the frame nearby so the filter is upright and won’t spill when taken off.

Nice write-up RRR. The motor in my A100 is in a dog house cover and access to anything is tight. Therefore a remote mounted filter seems to make sense. I had a ‘69 Valiant race car with a 512 stroker. Very crowded engine bay demanded a remote mount filter. Located filter over the battery tray area, made filter changes very quick and easy.

Nice write-up RRR. The motor in my A100 is in a dog house cover and access to anything is tight. Therefore a remote mounted filter seems to make sense. I had a ‘69 Valiant race car with a 512 stroker. Very crowded engine bay demanded a remote mount filter. Located filter over the battery tray area, made filter changes very quick and easy.
I understand completely. I just have disdain for remote filter kits because sooner or later, ALL OF THEM leak, even if it's just enough to collect dust and dirt. I've tried from Mr Gasket to Canton and most in between so good luck!

And sooooo annoying it is…

On a race car I can live with it and chalk it up to routine maintenance. Before I take it out on the street or track, a quick wipe down is fine. But no leaks. Once it leaks……
:mad::mob::mad:

I've even used heavy duty hydraulic hoses made up at a local NAPA store and it still did it. Just look at any heavy equipment with hydraulic hoses. Is it ever clean? No.

Well guys, here it is. Made a plate tha bolts to the back of the block. I’m pretty satisfied it will work.

05BFE2DE-2727-4961-B9E9-529038214807.jpeg

Well guys, here it is. Made a plate tha bolts to the back of the block. I’m pretty satisfied it will work.

View attachment 1716035734
That's really cool. Does the return side have a check valve in it? If not, it will still drain at least what's in that return hose back into the pump and through the pickup into the pan. That's why they used the long stand pipe with the check valve in it from the factory. They still didn't work very well, though.

As you've stated earlier, in later years they deleted the stand pipe. Did they also delete the check valve? If indeed they did, why would I need one in my remote mount? Maybe I'm missing something here.

Mount the oil filter up high enough and it would all drain back into the engine, instead of on it (speaking of the hoses)

If the filter is lower then the original location, would that not prevent oil draining back. I’m trying to not over think this thing.

That setup will be fine. Might get a slight bit of drainback of what is in the hose. But the filter will remain full, as the inlet/outlet are at the top of the filter.

Have been thinking about something like this ever since I got my current project truck (85 D150w/a /6) the upside down filter is the one thing that I have always hated about that engine, whether mine or a customers in whatever shop I was working in at the time

Volaredon, I can trace the plate and send you a copy if you’d like. Send a PM.

-
Back