oil filters

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
Ok, just a thought.

Does the the height of an oil filter have an impact on its ability to filter?

Most SBM call for a fram PH8A but there are other filters around that are shorter but with the same thread and mating surface diameter. Such as the motorcraft FL-300 its shorter but will bolt up just fine and even lists in the books as a replacement part.

The reason I am thinking about this is because I notice a lot of A-bodies have a 90 degree oil filter adaptor. So would it be possible to use a shorter filter and eliminate the need for 90* adaptor?

Ok, just a thought.

Does the the height of an oil filter have an impact on its ability to filter?

Most SBM call for a fram PH8A but there are other filters around that are shorter but with the same thread and mating surface diameter. Such as the motorcraft FL-300 its shorter but will bolt up just fine and even lists in the books as a replacement part.

The reason I am thinking about this is because I notice a lot of A-bodies have a 90 degree oil filter adaptor. So would it be possible to use a shorter filter and eliminate the need for 90* adaptor?

The PH8-A was a Ford filter, It held 1 quart.

The Mopar filter was the 43 It held 3/4 of a quart.

They have the same thread and gasket diameter and are interchangeable. The 43 is for the mopars and will clear the exhaust without the 90° adapter.

they will both filter the oil.

I don't like Fram, so cross reference the Fram 43 into another brand.

They have the same thread and gasket diameter and are interchangeable. The 43 is for the mopars and will clear the exhaust without the 90° adapter.

So the 43 is shorter than the ford filter?

I get boxes of the PH8-A for free so that's why I use them instead of buying a 43. but if the PH8-a wont clear on a SBM then I have to quit being a cheapo

No. A good quality filter will filter good regardless of size. You really want a small filter, get a WIX 51348.

I use them short filters on all my SB's with headers, instead of the adapter, for many , many years

I would think the longer filter would capture more impurities because of the larger capacity. The good thing is that most of our engines are in good shape and we change often so a large capacity filter really isn't needed. The extra oil capacity is a non issue.
I hope a half pint of extra oil wouldn't really make a difference. tmm

a site Bob is the oil guy. has more info about filters than you can handle. BUT dont talk about God or politics. but guns are ok. go figure.

No, the PH-8A was specified "back then" for both Ferd and Mopar depending on application. Or maybe you just meant it wasn't the "short" filter

PLEASE do not use Phraghm filters. Use Wix (NAPA), Baldwin, Hastings, "almost" anything else

Also, most filter lines (I don't remember the number) list a TWO QUART filter for trucks. Yep. Same as PH-8A / 51515, except "twice as tall."

I use the WIX 51068 on my Duster with headers with no angled adapter. Works fine for me. A tad more $$ than some other filters , but I like'em. This is a little shorter filter (I believe) than a standard length.
The Rusty Guy told me about 'em. .......

Yup, can use either long or short filter. As stated though, please don't use Fram. I used to see all the parts store comebacks. Napa premium filters are Wix and so are Carquest premium filters. Fyi, Purolater Pure one filters are also very good.

nice video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSJCeTP2UbY"]How Its Made - Automobile Oil Filters - YouTube[/ame]

Fram sucks.....I use Wix and K&N oil filters on my cars....I would think the larger filter would trap more particules but RRR is right, a quality filter of any size will do the job.

Ok, for the purpose of having more knowledge:

Can someone tell me WHY fram is bad? Is there a reason documented or is it word of mouth bandwagon kind of thing??

Not trying to argue but I would like to know WHY

I have used Fram oil filters before and I didn't notice anything adverse happening with my engine, but maybe I am missing something.

Please do tell

This started way back in the early 70's for me. The Wix guy came in. We stocked some Wix and some Hastings. He actually went to different stores in town, back then, K Mart I think had Fram, and bought AC, Motorcraft, Fram, and ?? what else. Took a cutter and cut them all open

Some differences you cannot see, the micron rating of the paper, example.

But to this day I remember this, and it was 35-40 years ago!!!!

The Fram had obviously less filter material. AND it had cardboard ends on the filter where it went into the can

The AC had metal ends but it had a VERY small paper element.

Hastings at that time did not use a paper element. They use "media" not sure how to describe what it is

I don't remember much else. These were all the same filter, either PH-8 equiv or the popular Chev filter, so they were "all the same."

From the "lx" guys:

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php/291232-Oil-filters-exposed-pic-heavy

Filter comparisons tell the story. Wix has a actual spring for a bypass valve where as Fram uses a piece of stamped steel. Their filter medium is skimpy compared to the Wix also. I have heard of their cans splitting under pressure also. I had low oil pressure problems with a Fram on my newly rebuilt engine.....until I switched to a Wix. tmm I'll look for a link with more info.

Here's a quick comparison: Funny when the guy uses the Fram for target practice. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRRgw4B7R-I"]( WARNING ) For You Fram Oil Filter Lover's.YouTube - YouTube[/ame]

I'm very partial to the Mopar filters.Mostly because they have flow back valves built into them.
You can use 5281090 or 4105409. They are sold at Wal-Mart and other jobbers these days. Here's the catch on the 4105409, it's physically smaller both in height and diameter, but it will screw on to the adapter and it will seal fine. This will give you a option for a smaller filter to fit into the tighter spaces.
Now before I'm chastised, I was skeptical myself, but this info was giving to me by an engineer at Mopar. We were directed to use the 4105409 filter after the 5281090 was deemed to large for the 1995 Neon. Several thousand left the assembly line with the larger filter, but they had little room to be removed. We had 24 of the dang things. All had to be basically torn off. The next parts catalog was revised and that filter was used on all Neon's until the end of run.
I've used it on my Dakota several times, no sweat!

Fyi, Purolater Pure one filters are also very good.

I looked it up and I found these available at advance auto parts ....part # PL30001 for $7.19.

They didn't compare the Purolater on the video but I know their fuel filters are pretty good .....I had a job on a ford Taurus and I first used an autozone fuel filter (huge mistake) and after dealing with that folly, I finally got a Purolater filter in there and it not only fit better but it didn't come back.

No, the PH-8A was specified "back then" for both Ferd and Mopar depending on application. Or maybe you just meant it wasn't the "short" filter
"

I worked at a 10 minute oil change back in my days. We used Fram filters.

Ford was PH-8A

Mopar was 43

I recommend using a different brand, but those were the numbers that we used.

Just to throw another option out there, I did some research a few years ago on oil filters and found the Mobil 1 filters are some of the best out there as far as both construction quality and filtering capability. Since then I've used only Mobil 1 or Wix oil filters.

-
Back