Oil Filters

-
Of course the pics don’t say much about the quality of the paper being used but they do show the amount of the pleats. I’ve been using Purolater for years now and never had a problem. I used Fram in my old F150 with the inline 6 and had a lower end knock on start up. Found that the check valves on the Frams are junk and bleed off. Thank for your pics roosduster, now that I have this info I can shop for a better price and know the quality of the filters.

Of course the pics don’t say much about the quality of the paper being used but they do show the amount of the pleats. I’ve been using Purolater for years now and never had a problem. I used Fram in my old F150 with the inline 6 and had a lower end knock on start up. Found that the check valves on the Frams are junk and bleed off. Thank for your pics roosduster, now that I have this info I can shop for a better price and know the quality of the filters.

That is true, being able to tell the quality of the paper is way above my pay grade and I was not going to try to say which I thought was better with knowing nothing about it. Your welcome for the pics, I am glad this info will help you out.

AmsoilParts.jpg

I think filters drain back so when you start them cold you don't blow them up. Also when the oil is thick on start up, it will bypass the filter till it warms up and thins a little bit.
Also, the number of pleats can be anywhere from 35 or so all the way to over 60. It means almost nothing, untill they start to get too many pleats and they start to pack them into the cannister too tight. Every corner of a pleat really can't pass much oil. What counts is the width and length of the filter and its compostion, which could be paper or synthetic or a combination of both. This makes it difficult to compare them.
Some filters have thicker sides than others, and some have thicker bases than others. I am unaware of any filter that has both a thicker side and thicker base. They run within 2 or 3 thousanths of an inch anyway.
Some other things that need to be considered:
Length
Outside and inside diameter
End cap type
Bypass valve type
Anti-drainback valve type
Element types
Gasket types
Hydrostatic burst pressure
Filtration efficiency
Might as well throw price in the mix also
Some things are obvious when looking at a pic, but not every thing.
One thing is certain, most of them are all made by the same two or three companies, they all meet manufacturers specs, and they all sacrifice one thing or another in order to gain the upper hand and still be competitive.

I think filters drain back so when you start them cold you don't blow them up. Also when the oil is thick on start up, it will bypass the filter till it warms up and thins a little bit.
Also, the number of pleats can be anywhere from 35 or so all the way to over 60. It means almost nothing, untill they start to get too many pleats and they start to pack them into the cannister too tight. Every corner of a pleat really can't pass much oil. What counts is the width and length of the filter and its compostion, which could be paper or synthetic or a combination of both. This makes it difficult to compare them.
Some filters have thicker sides than others, and some have thicker bases than others. I am unaware of any filter that has both a thicker side and thicker base. They run within 2 or 3 thousanths of an inch anyway.
Some other things that need to be considered:
Length
Outside and inside diameter
End cap type
Bypass valve type
Anti-drainback valve type
Element types
Gasket types
Hydrostatic burst pressure
Filtration efficiency
Might as well throw price in the mix also
Some things are obvious when looking at a pic, but not every thing.
One thing is certain, most of them are all made by the same two or three companies, they all meet manufacturers specs, and they all sacrifice one thing or another in order to gain the upper hand and still be competitive.

Thats great

I was talking to a fellow the other day at a car show and we were discussing oil filters. He mentioned that he saw a difference in oil pressure between the Napa Gold and regular Napa filter. I don`t remember which one showed the highest pressure but I thought I would resurrect this thread to see what people may have experienced.

Hey that Mopar 090 filter you can get at any Walmart for $5. I bought 4 of them one day because they fit my 440. Opened it up like above to check it out. Really had no idea what I was looking at but it cured my curiosity. $5 **** thats a good deal if your frugle. Nice informative thread there!

Hey that Mopar 090 filter you can get at any Walmart for $5. I bought 4 of them one day because they fit my 440. Opened it up like above to check it out. Really had no idea what I was looking at but it cured my curiosity. $5 **** thats a good deal if your frugle. Nice informative thread there!

Oh man I never saw those... I'll have to check it out.

Because of this thread I have a Advance Auto filter on my truck. Saved me a few bucks.

Looks like wix and pro tech was the ones for me! I've only been using wix or other Guard Corp. filters like NAPA GOLD!
They are the ones with the coil springs. I think the oil filter has something with oil pressure regulation???

if you use your car on the track only, i have the wix low micron on my bblk. tech. told me it`s a good filter with less drag. so far, no worries. but if i ever put this car on the street, go to the higher micron. my local parts counter handles wix on what i need. micron #`s i don`t recall right now, but there`s a big difference. counter guy could help you, i`m sure.

I have used Fram for years.The last few years I have used Mobil 1 filters.After seeing this I don't think I will ever buy another Fram looks like anything is better than Fram.
Thanks,Jim

i know a guy that had a fram on a muddin truck it was pushin about 650 700 hp the oil filter did not bloe up on the out side but on the in side it did and trashed the freshy bult chevy i ant a chevy fan ever since i heard this i will not will not buy a fram again i buy mopar, wix, or purlator what ever one i come acrost mosty mopar couse you get that nice lookin mopar m and the filter is nice lookin the hues engens jomar oil filter looks realy good to i mite have to try it on the old duster ya know ;)

I do not think they have these made for them any more, the box has a copyright of 1993 on it, and I have never seen one before I saw this one on eBay.

ValvolineParts.jpg

dang, I am getting the regular advance autoparts store brand ones from now on... they dont seem any different than a "bigger" company.

Great Topic But Unfortunately Wix s not available here, only Fram, Purlator , K&N and possibly the Mopar one But some Filter Company Must Do The Mopar One, Fits some Four Cylinder European , Fiats

-
Back