Oil Galley Plug Removal

-

Rocket

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What is the best tool to remove these square holes oil galley plugs? Anyone use a piece of square bar and if so what size? I do not have anything handy in this size around the garage or tool box and do not want to risk stripping. I can see someone used something non-square in one of them and it looks a little iffy.

I will replace these after cleaning with Allen key plugs.

thanks

E6DD07E3-FC6A-40C6-BD3A-33DC669E790B.jpeg

Last edited:
Heat the plug red hot with your torch, hit it with a bit of WD-40 or similar and unscrew it with a big screw driver.

I used one of these. It’s a Toolpro set here in Australia, must be something similar in the USA.

16C060E6-9BED-4ABF-A80F-449A2B2AC93D.jpeg

I carefully ground down a 3/8" drive extension until it fit snugly. Using one with a broken check ball spring would be ideal.

What I have used in the past is an old craftsman punch, it's 5/16 inch square, big adjustable wrench, wack the punch while trying to turn it. Should come wright out.

What is the best tool to remove these square holes oil galley plugs? Anyone use a piece of square bar and if so what size? I do not have anything handy in this size around the garage or tool box and do not want to risk stripping. I can see someone used something non-square in one of them and it looks a little iffy.

I will replace these after cleaning with Allen key plugs.

thanks

View attachment 1715672846

Sunex from home depot or jegs.

sunex-tools-impact-socket-sets-sun2841-64_600.jpg

As noted above, take a cruddy 3/8" extension - the one your cousin Louis left in your garage will work nicely - and grind it to fit.

I've said this before.........you should be able to buy various sizes of square keystock at your local hardware store. Also there are some special plumbing wrenches that are multi-square. You have any cold chisels? Check the shank size.............

As a "last resort" figure which socket drive is "too big" (if the smaller one is too loose) Go to "wherever" Horrid freight, buy a short extension, and grind it to fit.

As noted above, take a cruddy 3/8" extension - the one your cousin Louis left in your garage will work nicely - and grind it to fit.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I actually have a cousin Louis lol.

My toolbox does not have any chisels or other items square in a close enough size. A piece of bar stock from the hardware store like the quickest bet. Same for round stock to drive the galley plug out from the sender unit passage that is under the #5 cap.

I have a couple sizes of bolts that I ground square on the end that I use with a socket and impact. The plugs usually come right out. If not I go straight to the torch.

About 25 years ago I ground down a 3/8 extension and have been using it ever since. I ground a slight taper so you can tap it in and it bites. A couple years ago I bought a MAC full set of special bits like this but I still use the one I made. Its never let me down.

It depends how tight it is.....

I bought a Snap On fitting expressly made for removing those plugs....& it broke.

I no longer take the risk. Heat up the plug to cherry red with an oxy torch & melt candle wax on the plug while hot. When cool, it will come out with a screwdriver.

Thanks for all the recommendations. Good information.

I found a 5/16” piece of steel that is a few inches long at the local hardware store. I was fortunate the plugs were not too tight and they cam out without issue.

54B2B82A-9A31-434D-869E-E227D660C58A.jpeg

-
Back