Oil leak from between the right head and intake

-

Finagin

Reaction score
Hi, new here. Just got a 1966 valiant signet with a 273 v8. When i checked the car there was a oil leak on the right side of the engine. Cleaned the engine, oil leaking out by a valley in the center of head. Has a edlbrock intake with holly 4 barrel. My question is this the wrong intake for this engine, or is there a crack in the head. The intake seems to sit low on the head. Also there is the same valley on the left side is just dirty. With the engine running i can see oil bubbles in the valley on the right side. Cleaned and tried silicone the valley closed, drove car 20 miles and the oil is getting on the intake again. Any body with more experience will be helpful. Thanks.

It is possible someone did not put sealant on the intake bolts. The bolt holes go all the way through the heads into the valve cover area. If left unsealed, oil will defy gravity and migrate UP the bolts and leak out onto the intake. Either way, it sounds like you may have to remove the intake to repair it and if you do, don't forget sealant on the bolts. I like Permatex #2, but any high quality sealant will work.

Also, if you do remove the intake, do NOT use the cork OR rubber end gaskets as they harden over time and leak. Look and see if the intake locating pins are still in the block on either end of the intake valley. If they are remove them. Then when you go back with the intake manifold, put a bead about 3/8 of an inch thick along the block ends where the intake meets the block. Also connect the beads to the intake gaskets in all four of the corners where the heads meet the intake.

Lastly, you will need to coat the water passages of the intake gasket with sealant on BOTH sides of the gasket, so you will be sure the water passages are sealed good.

Don't forget, torque on aluminum intake manifolds is mild. 20 LB FT is all you need.

Oh and welcome to FABO!

I've seen oil come up around the threads of the intake bolts. the fix is thread sealer tape.
if thats your problem.

Welcome Finagin!

Sounds like you have some "unsealed" intake bolts? I used to use #2 Permatex on my intake bolt threads, but that was many years ago. Maybe some members have a better sealer for them these days?

P.S..... Hey Rob...:D

Welcome Finagin!

Sounds like you have some "unsealed" intake bolts? I used to use #2 Permatex on my intake bolt threads, but that was many years ago. Maybe some members have a better sealer for them these days?

P.S..... Hey Rob...:D

Wut it iz, Rick?

Wow, what fast responses, thanks guys.so it is normal for the intake to sit low? Next step is to get new intake gaskets and pull the intake off. Thanks again.

Make sure you get the right gaskets too. There are a couple of different port sizes. I would stick with Fel Pro. Don't skimp.

Oh and go to the welcome wagon and introduce yourself and tell us some about your Mopar(s).

Curios. Whats wrong with thread tape ?

If you put too much on it can leave little fragments of the tape in places where it shouldn't be when you screw the pieces together.

My dad worked as an engineer on mines, and has seen many large water pumps break down due to thread tape. Never had a problem with liquid sealer.

also check the valve covers make sure they are not bent. new valve cover gaskets.
if they are aluminum valve covers get some stock type and chuck the aluminums.

mopar small blocks love to leak around the valve covers. especially if you dont have a correct setup with a breather in one side and pcv valve in the other side. pressure will build up and force oil out.

i'd acutally try this first before pulling the intake off, unless you are positively seeing it come out of the intake

Thread tape is not a high temp solution. Also, if you put too much on the fastener, it can break what you are threading it into. It is NOT designed for bolt threads, it is designed for pipe threads. Over and out. Roger Wilco.

Also, if you put too much on the fastener, it can break what you are threading it into. It is NOT designed for bolt threads, it is designed for pipe threads. Over and out. Roger Wilco.

Water pump nipples for example are a pipe thread but too much tape and they split pretty easy.
I'll use tape on those sparingly and I don't start the tape at the end of the pipe, but about 1/4 of an inch up (so it doesn't end up in the coolant) and I cut off any extra with a razor blade on the outside of the joint.
(I hate seeing tape strings hanging on things)

LA heads also have a rough mating surface with the VC gasket. When I had mine off I took the opportunity to block sand them a bit, think "decking" them if you will, truing up the surface a bit. No more oil weeping. Magnum heads have a nicer mating surface. Dont try this with the heads on the engine.

LA heads also have a rough mating surface with the VC gasket. When I had mine off I took the opportunity to block sand them a bit, think "decking" them if you will, truing up the surface a bit. No more oil weeping. Magnum heads have a nicer mating surface. Dont try this with the heads on the engine.

The LA heads also have a curve to the surface (arched up in the center almost a 1/8 inch).

Ordered the intake gaskets today. Felpro gasket for the edlbrock intake with stock 273 heads. Should have them thursday. Still not sure the oil is coming from the intake bolts. I cleaned the engine with engine cleaner and the oil is dead center of the right head by the intake, when i say it is oily in the valley it is not the intake valleys but what to me looks like a valley on the head. Worked on a lot of cars but this is my first mopar.i let the car idle and the oil in that valley looks like it has a flow from the head to the intake. As i can see bubbles. Never seen anything like it. Feel like i am in the twilight zone. Will try to take some pictures before taking it apart. Car runs ok. Drove it about 100 miles to get it home. When i checked the car the owner said the valve cover where leaking and on quick inspection that what i thought it was.but after the engine cleaning, for sure is not the valve covers.any ideas.

Sounds like it is leakin oil into the cross over void and also the exhaust cross over may be leaking causing the bubbles. Either way, it sounds like removing and resealing the intake will fix it. Make sure to inspect the intake very good, because they have been known to crack. If you want it lookin nice, now would be the time to take it to the machine shop and have them blast it.

Pics would be great, as most of us are just taking shot's in the dark from issues we've seen before.

My opinion, the only way you'll see bubbling is from pressure or heat. If it's not the bolts seeping, i'd have to think a gasket sealing problem is most likely.

Thinking outside the box.......What shape/condition is the engine in? Meaning, could the crankcase pressure be high enough to push oil out of a weak spot? Besides the other side of the intake & valve covers, which you say looks dry, are there any other leaks visible anywhere on the shortblock?

Going crazy outside the box :D, if you're running stock manifolds with a heat riser valve, could it be stuck shut causing pressure at the crossover on the intake?

I'm just throwing stuff out for discussion until we get some pics, so be easy on me guys...:D.

Exactly. Too many of these guys come on here expectin us to read minds or have crystal balls. Although I admit, the OP gave a better description than most without pictures. That's why I jumped in. I just ignore idiots expectin mind readers now, but this guy at least tried to give a decent verbal description.......but yes, to the OP, pictures would be fantastic if you could.

Ok, did not have anytime to take pictures yet in the day light. Should this weekend. Got the intake gaskets, hope there the good ones. All metal intake gaskets from fel pro. What i am going to say next is going to make you guys cringe. Sealed up the valley on the right side with black silicone. Drove the car 20 miles to home. Checked and did get a leak. Drove car back to work the next morning, cleaned the silicone with little brake cleaner to get the oil off the silicone, added more silicone to the valley and drove car 20 miles. Checked for leaks- nothing. Going for inspection on thursday, will leave it like this till the inspection. Yes i know this is a butcher job and i will not leave it like this. Thanks for all the ideas , you guys have been very helpful.

-
Back