Oil Leak

-

thanson_mopar

Reaction score
Ok, my engine has been leaking oil since I built it, its not leaking really bad so i just pushed off the problem a little bit. It seems to be leaking down by the oil filter "area". At first I thought it was just the oil filter not sealing correctly but ive since changed oil with new filter and still leaking. The thing is I cant tell exactly where its coming from. Is there an oil gallery plug down there in that area i might of forgot or didnt get tight enough? what about where the oil filter inlet/outlet is connected to the block, is there a gasket that was supposed to be there? I dont remember putting one in. Is there any engine oil dye that anyone has used/trusts. Ive heard some of the dyes are not good on your engine......might have just been a myth though. Any insight?

what engine and does it have a 90 degree filter housing....mine leaked their on my 340.......Mark it first before you take the 90 off or filter may hit frame...not that I have ever done that LOL...oh yea and there is a gasket their

The 90 degree adapter uses 2 gaskets, behind the filter. A large one, and a small one. Napa has them.

Add, this is where the adapter is bolted to the block. Take off the oil filter, see the bolt in the center.

what engine and does it have a 90 degree filter housing....mine leaked their on my 340.......Mark it first before you take the 90 off or filter may hit frame...not that I have ever done that LOL...oh yea and there is a gasket their

oh yea, 74 duster 360, it has the 90 degree filter housing

when i built the engine i remember installing the filter housing but im pretty sure i didnt use any gaskets.......kinda rushed since i was soo close and wanted to hear it run....not too bad for my first build though. So im prettty sure that must be the problem then

the last gasket set i got from Summit had three(3) gaskets
1 was a large one the went around the base where the adapter fits
the block...there was a thinner fiber washer that went between the bolt
head and the adapter...and the last one was a thicker cork one which
went on the large bolt inside so as to fit between the adapter and the
block...so the large bolt has two. one outside and one inside...no leaks

the last gasket set i got from Summit had three(3) gaskets
1 was a large one the went around the base where the adapter fits
the block...there was a thinner fiber washer that went between the bolt
head and the adapter...and the last one was a thicker cork one which
went on the large bolt inside so as to fit between the adapter and the
block...so the large bolt has two. one outside and one inside...no leaks

would you happen to have a link to the specific gaskets you got from summit

Thats what happened on mine, gasket behind the oil filter adapter plate was junk, I actually think the adapter plate was warped a little, too long ago to remember, lol.

If I remember right, Cometic is making a thicker gasket where the adapter meets the block. Think I was talking to Dave. (66valiant).

help what size is the bolt head on the 90 degree adapter
I cant seem to get awrench or socket on it
is it metric
thanks mike

help what size is the bolt head on the 90 degree adapter
I cant seem to get awrench or socket on it
is it metric
thanks mike

Not metric, if I recall...it’s the same size as the balancer bolt, about 1 1/4 inch...should be able to reach with a 6 inch extention and a 1/2 drive ratchet.

-
Back