oil pan damage

-

R3dplanet

Reaction score
So I had to pull my recently rebuilt 360 out of my 1965 Barracuda.

On the way out I couldn't help but notice this damage.

Any guesses as to why? Wrong oil pan? I thought there was only one 360 oil pan for a car. My guess is steering linkage, but I never heard any bumps. Huh.

-marcus

Attachments

• oil_pan_1.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 206
  • oil_pan_2.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 203
do you have the correct V8 centerlink? Or the only other thing I could think of is the tie rod adjustment is way off center to one side.

The car originally had a 273, so its had a V8 the whole time. So unless the there's a difference from centerlink from the 273 to the 360, I would think its the same - but I'm not an expert.

Look at the distance between the left and right side of pan to centerlink/inner tie rod end clearance. If someone adjusted one side too short and the other too long then it pushes the link into the pan when you turn at full lock or close to it.

Well, thank you gentlemen. I learned something new today.

So I had to pull my recently rebuilt 360 out of my 1965 Barracuda.

On the way out I couldn't help but notice this damage.

Any guesses as to why? Wrong oil pan? I thought there was only one 360 oil pan for a car. My guess is steering linkage, but I never heard any bumps. Huh.

-marcus
Your pan is off a '74-up C-body so maybe that's your problem. Try one made for the A, B, and E body cars.

I only found that out today. I went and bought another pan from an engine rebuilder and he told me that it was the wrong pan the whole time. That irks me since I bought the pan originally from a vendor who swore up and down that it was exactly the right pan. Well, it wasn't.

Anyway, there's a difference.

-
Back