oil pressure goes from 65 psi to 30

-

scurbydog

Reaction score
my oil pressure goes from 65 to 30 after 1/4 mile pass 3 years no prob. 65 all the time now it jumps after a run then goes back to 65 on return road open to ideas

Could you be sucking the oil pan dry?

Or, look behind the camshaft thrust plate. There should be two oil galley plugs in those oil galleys. Some people think that they are not necessary, I had those two cause a problem on an engine that I rebuilt many years ago. Once I installed those plugs, my low oil pressure was cured. They wouldn't leak the pressure all of the time....

Here are the two plugs that I'm talking about:

View attachment 360 front face A02 B2.jpg

- Low oil level?
- Foaming oil? Did you change oiltypes recently? Check the dipstick right after a run.
- Trashed cam/rod/main bearings?

thanks for the tech info got to lookin I had just changed the oil but it seems that I had a carb problem and washed the oil down

A lotta folks say they have had bad experiences with Fram,, some syptom were similar to yours..

hope it helps

Fram filters are no good. See alot of problems with the fram filters, engine noises, rattling filters. Install the proper filters and the problems are gone. Just my 2 cents.

I'm not ready to make a judgment on you're exact situation just yet, But I've experienced the scenario you described before.

It was from hard on the brakes with a short shutdown area that threw what oil was in the pan forward, and away from the pickup.

You may not need more capacity, but I found that a properly baffled pan can make a big difference in that situation.

I'm not ready to make a judgment on you're exact situation just yet, But I've experienced the scenario you described before.

It was from hard on the brakes with a short shutdown area that thru what oil was in the pan forward, and away from the pickup.

You may not need more capacity, but I found that a properly baffled pan can make a big difference in that situation.

xs 2

You may need to add an accumulator to insure that you don't lose pressure at the top end.

my oil pressure goes from 65 to 30 after 1/4 mile pass 3 years no prob. 65 all the time now it jumps after a run then goes back to 65 on return road open to ideas

I would check for a dent in your oil pan.

I had this problem on a 15 sec car. oil pressure was fine until i hit the brakes. lifters would start clattering and wouldn't stop until i shut it off at the pits. check oil level and it was up.

Added 1/2 quart over full, and problem went a way(thought it was a bad dip stick) a year later, pulling the motor, and then pulling the pan. that's when i found the real problem. the pick up tub was tilted due to a small dent, right were the pick up was:banghead:

I was goign to say - add a qt and see if it does it again. Have you been making gains in performance for those 3 years? Changed to different brakes or using a closer turn off at the track?

-
Back