Oil Pressure Woes

-

JefftheComputerMan

Reaction score
Ok, i'm a computer geek with a good mechanical knowledge. Military 10 years, I know how to fix all kinds of stuff.
I had low oil pressure issues on my 318, got opinions, and decided it was the oil pump pickup clogged, true fact, it was.
After 10 hours of removing, cleaning out melling HV oil pump, testing pump, I did not "prime" the oil pump.

Am I screwed? Do I really have to do that again?

This was a very good running engine, just got low / no oil pressure at idle after doing intake 5 times (360 heads / milled bad angle / fixed that)

Now, i'm scared of no oil pressure tearing up a very good engine, I tried to remove the distro gear but it seems to be really tight against the cam gears (NO PLAY WHATSOEVER).

Can't remove gear to prime oil pump,

Any Ideas? Bad timing chain holding cam gear tight?, anyone? IDK why I can't get the gear out of the distro?

did you try to turn the intermediate shaft clockwise....it will climb up the gear...

make sure you fill the oil filter........and what I have done before is remove oil pressure sending unit or fitting for mechanical oil pressure gauge....pour oil down the hole....LOL

Yes, I read it should pop right up. With the videos I've seen there is a little slack in the gear and that lets you walk it out. NO SLACK here, damn thing is tight!

I loosened it in hopes of letting some air pressure out, no go. I cant imagine trying to pour oil into a 1/8 inch hole. But If that works, beats the hell outta pulling the f-ing oil pan on this beast!

You don't have to prime it. I've done it many times. Start it and as long as the oil pressure builds up after it's started, you'll be ok.

X's 2

The only time I ever primed an engine is when I have taken the crank out. Other than that there is enough oil still on the surfaces to last until there is oil pressure from the pump.

Jack

you can also disconnect the ignition and turn the engine over with the starter....until oil pressure is there. Then connect ignition and start up.

Michael

remove the spark plugs ...engine will spin alot faster and easier...

yup.
Combine posts 7 & 8. Pull the plugs, turn it over for a bit. Once you have oil pressure (you'll hear it pull the starter rpm down) then put the plugs back in and fire it. I've always used a little white grease in the pumps... It helps them prime very quickly if the gear surfaces have some grease on them.

Ok fired it up for 5 minutes, no oil pressure, on mechanical dash gauge (thats the one with the semi clear hose?) What now?

Ok fired it up for 5 minutes, no oil pressure

...oof-that phrase by itself sounds horrible. If you really didn't have oil pressure for that long (or even for just a minute), I'm kinda thinking your lifters/rockers would be ticking like crazy.

starve the bottom end for 5 minutes and you won't have any oil pressure.
do not run engine until you verify some oil pressure.
hopefully it is'nt to late. good luck.

Yeah lifters sounded like crap, I don't think it was 5 minutes maybe 2-3, felt like an hour hearing those lifters!

I'm guessing in the small area I had to work with putting the pan back in, I probably pushed the oil pickup arm up out of the oil.:banghead:
Its a Melling HV and I couldn't get the arm all the way around again to tighten up.

First I'm gonna see if I can look through the oil drain plug and see pickup!

Then I'm gonna drain and drop it down an inch to look in with my inspection camera, Hopefully I can just push it back down to the bottom. It would be easier to pull engine than wiggle that bastard back in with the gaskets still in place.

Will update soon, THX for all the help!

Damn, I must have shook up a lot of gunk in this old beast. I went through 4 oil filters before
getting pressure normalized. Running 25 at idle over 50 cruising! Then blew bottom radiator hose a block from home, found a master pro that fits almost perfect on champion radiator "Gates 22941" bottom hose, then the top hose springs a leak fixed it with a "master pro 20046" just cut 3 inches off of the thermostat side and fits well. THX all!
Good luck with your projects!

Just read this thread.... you are one lucky dude! No actual oil pressure for 2-3 minutes will wipe out multiple (or all!) bearings. It must have been dribbling some oil into the lower end to survive, but not enough to get to the heads and show on the guage. I'd never let an engine run more than 10 sec with the guage at zero and I get panicky after 5 secs!

You must have really cleaned a lot of gunk out! I'd be doing a few more changes in short order.

-
Back