oil pump

-
If anything other than stock, use a high pressure pump, or shim/modify the spring in a stock one.

stock pump with modified pressure spring (due to external filter and oil cooler to balance the loss due to the long hose routing)

Std. pumps on rebuilds. I'll put a HV pump in my 97 5.2 B/C it needs cam bearings, just to give me some time to change the motor.

I use HV pumps in almost everything....never had a oil or bearing problem....To each his own...just make sure you use a harden tip intermediate shaft....and you might lose a whooping 4 or 5 hp from the HV pump...

The HV pump for the Mopar small block only can add 18-20% of extra volume so it is not all that big a deal. No wonder folks never see much difference either way....

The main benefit I see is that it will keep pressures up better at low RPM's. Once the pressure triggers the relief spring (either 50ish or 65ish psi) the engine will see no more oil flow with either pump.

If the HV pump actually took 5 HP more power to run with it's 20% taller impeller, then the math says that standard pump would be taking 25 HP, and the HV would take 30 HP. That doesn't make sense.....so the extra HP used for a SBM HV pump is not as much as has been cited at times.

Use what ever lets you sleep the best at night...i prefer the HP pumps.....

-
Back