oil slinger - yes or no?

-

airwoofer

Drivetrain limit explorer
Reaction score
Anybody using or not using the crank oil slinger on drag race engines? Why / why not?

Nope, never.

I assume the oil slinger is the stamped sheet metal piece that slides onto the crank snout in between the timing chain set and the timing cover. I did install it in my 440. Is there a problem or risk to using it, or is it simply not necessary?

The oil slinger is used t lubricate the timing chain.Yes I use them for just that reason. There is no horsepower loss with them,just something for premature ware of the chain.

The slinger is to keep the hot oil off of the seal. There is also one built on the rear of the crank in front of the seal. There is also a V shaped Dam built into the timing cover to cause the oil to flow around and off of the crank.

That is why it is called a slinger and not a oiler. I do not use the slinger on automatic race engines. the less resiprocating weight the more torque.

On 4 spd. motors you want the weight for inertia on the holeshot and shift. Unless you leave off to shift like some pussies do.

Look at this thread for chain oiling info. This is the way to go and throw the sllinger in the garbage on a race motor.

I cut most of the rear one off of my crank.. My car is auto so the rods are light and the crank is also knifed.

Little motors need all the advantage they can get. I take everything I can get for free. Here is the thread . Check out the oiling through the years at the end of the thread.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=242063

Oh yeah...... "I left the oil slinger off my motor, so mine has more torque than yours"

That's a goodun.

I re-install them in every engine I build, that piece of stamped sheetmetal aint gonna ever slow the motor down, and I feel it keeps from loading up the front seal, and probally helps the chain get oil. But I am a amature, and that's only my opinion

I have used them and not. The factory used it for a reason that really no longer applies to the current useage and demands of the current engines. The next engine will get it since the idea is just simply a cruiser. Only a mild cam, doible roller chain and headers will added to the new pistoned rebuild. Longevity is the big goal.

The slinger will be reinstalled for this purpose. Nothing more, nothing less.
The hot rod engines do not get it. It is just one more part in the way when disassembling or reassembling the engine when cam changes come around. The less on this engine the better.

I had to put the oil slinger back in mt 416 after switching to alcohol. The switch caused it to puch the front seal out.

I have found that if you don't use the slinger,, your pulleys will be misaligned, causing premature belt wear and in some instances, noise..

Some knowledgeable clients will see the miss-alignment, and want it repaired, so what,, you put a spacer on the outside.. not in my shop.

<I have found that if you don't use the slinger,, your pulleys will be misaligned>

Is that because the slinger adds to the "stack" and puts the dampener further forward? Only pulley I will have will be the alternator.

<I have found that if you don't use the slinger,, your pulleys will be misaligned>

Is that because the slinger adds to the "stack" and puts the dampener further forward? Only pulley I will have will be the alternator.

Yes to the stacking...

Well, the way I look at it, anything that shields oil from splashing the front seal, and oils the chain, can't be bad .. and to maintain proper pulley alignment,, , why not?
what's saved by leaving it out ??

If the client notices, or has it pointed out, then it looks like I do sloppy work..

We spend hundreds/thousands of $$ to build engine to tolerances,, it just doesn't make sense to get sloppy now,, jmho..

I guess for race only application it's okay,, but personally I would use it if I had it..

Although I am sure lots of them have been left off, I see no clear advantage to it whatsoever. In fact, if I ever get a core that's missing one, I get a replacement. Whether it keeps oil off the crank, or slings it all over the timing chain or both, the factory obviously felt the need to include them in the design. I've torn down lots of engines, including some pretty high horsepower ones, and to date, I've never seen a problem caused by the oil slinger being installed. Chrysler still sells them in the MP catalog, so they must see a need. My 1956 331 Hemi even had one. I say put the thing in.

I always run them. Absolutely no reason to not run one and possible issues I see with not running it - all of which have been mentioned.
More torque? In a college physics class once we had to calculate our own gravitational pull. The fact that each of us has one doesn't mean things will orbit around us. You're WAAAAAYYYYY overthinking it... And that's from someone who gets beat up for overthinking.

<The fact that each of us has one doesn't mean things will orbit around us.>

Skeeters aren't attracted by gravity? Learn something new every day.

Thanks for all the replies. I don't have one and it probably wouldn't hurt to get one. If my dampener won't clear the cast Indy cover, and the thickness of the slinger would solve the problem I'll get one.

I don't have problems with belt alignment. And The slinger wont fit with a race cover. Also if you have probems keeping your seal in and rely on the slinger. You have other issues. I run methanol and Nitro. My new cover takes a o-ring. If your blowing your seal out you could go with a old cover they are installed from the rear of the cover.

Also a race cover is ment to be used with a after market damper , There is no tin dust cover. Like I said if you start adding reciprocating weight you would be surprised how it adds up. Even a fluid damper cuts initial reciprocating weight. The weight sits still and catches up.

Also no good damper has the slinger figured in on the measurement . Check them out if you have them sitting around as I do.

Also the fluid dampers are to be used with the 69 back pulley and no slinger on the 70 up cars. it acts as a reduction and puts them at the proper depth.

There are some that wish they would know and some that do. But every one has a cocky remark so I just don't answer them when they need something. Cutting off your nose to spite your face is common on this site.

Attachments

• DSCF0092[1].jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 510
  • steve%20237[1].jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 438
  • steve%20235[1].jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 396
  • timing cover b.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 464
  • DSCN0170[1].jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 417
I am using the Indy cast cover and a Powerbond dampener (no fluid dampener for the ole woofer thank you). If the dampener won't clear the cover I will get an ATI with a longer snout. Alignment with the alternator won't be an issue as I will deal with that with the alternator brackets. Elec water pump.

Hey OMM, are you taking those breather hoses to a scavenger or just dumping the drippage onto the headers? I am going to use those same kind of breathers and was thinking of putting them to a can with a breather filter.

They go to aspirator valves in the headers. I you do that make sure your pipes don't dump in front of the rear tires or anywhere near.

Attachments

• DSCF0151.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 350
The slinger is to keep the hot oil off of the seal. There is also one built on the rear of the crank in front of the seal. There is also a V shaped Dam built into the timing cover to cause the oil to flow around and off of the crank.

That is why it is called a slinger and not a oiler. I do not use the slinger on automatic race engines. the less resiprocating weight the more torque.

On 4 spd. motors you want the weight for inertia on the holeshot and shift. Unless you leave off to shift like some pussies do.

Look at this thread for chain oiling info. This is the way to go and throw the sllinger in the garbage on a race motor.

I cut most of the rear one off of my crank.. My car is auto so the rods are light and the crank is also knifed.

Little motors need all the advantage they can get. I take everything I can get for free. Here is the thread . Check out the oiling through the years at the end of the thread.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=242063
I drag raced a four speed car years back and tried powershifting. It did not improve the E.T. or MPH so I went back to lifting during shifts. Guess I was a pussy but at least I never broke any driveline parts. Also the slinger probly weighs about an ounce so I doubt very much one could even measure a power difference with or without it.

This is bs. An ounce. An .05. The crank is held by the thrust bearing. A slinger has no effect on lenght or balance. Get real, people.

-
Back