Oil through or not?

-

-Boosted-

Hard Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking for opinions/advice on whether or not I should go with oil through pushrod/lifters. Building a 408 using an LA 360 block and Trick Flow heads. This is a high compression build (11.3-11.5:1) with a big (660+ lift 254/268 adv duration) solid roller cam using all comp cams race stuff.

Last edited:
Either the Comp Cams 828-16 or the 8043-16 (with hole).
I was asking which rocker arm, not the lifter.
Was thinking if you are not using a rocker arm that requires pushrod oiling for some reason, there would be no need to deviate from the LA shaft oiling. It works just fine.

Looking for opinions/advice on whether or not I should go with oil through pushrod/lifters. Building a 408 using an LA 360 block and Trick Flow heads. This is a high compression build (11.3-11.5:1) with a big (660+ lift 254/268 adv duration) solid roller cam using all comp cams race stuff.
May as well. Especially if not correcting the geometry.. because the pushrod/adjuster ar such an angle..excessive wear/heat is inevitable .

I asked Mike from B3 engines about oiling from the pushrods as well as the std oil feed when he did my geometry correction kit. His advice was not to oil from the pushrods.

I have trick flow heads with 12.5 compression and just oil through the shafts how they were designed to. I do however run mancini rockers and the rocker sweep is very good.

There are many of us running the Mancini rockers with the Trick Flow heads and the geometry is pretty good right out of the box.

Mancini Racing Aluminum Roller Rocker Arm Kit
IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

Got everything else in hand, so I guess I will check geometry once the heads show up.

Thanks all,
Bill

I asked Mike from B3 engines about oiling from the pushrods as well as the std oil feed when he did my geometry correction kit. His advice was not to oil from the pushrods.
I agree with Mike, if the geometry is correct.. no need. Stock setup is terrible for high lift and or roller cams. I've seen them turn blue at the cups even when the oil was fed there via adjuster.

Last edited:
Being those Comp rockers come with ball adjusters it’s pretty much a no brainer. No need to also oil via the pushrods. I’ve never seen off the shelf cup/ball pushrods that oiled. Custom sure. If you swapped the ball adjusters for cup adjusters in order to use oiling ball/ball pushrods you’d definitely want to somehow plug the holes in the adjusters on the top ends just below the hex sockets to prevent having 16 geysers spurting oil onto the valve covers. You lose a little on oil pressure as well if running shaft and pushrod oiling.

To the above post ^^^
"Off the shelf"....usually means stock.. that's why.
Stock springs
stock cam lift
stock rpms

Even with adjustable rocker arms...you want the correct length push rod to keep that adjuster in the range of 2 threads above the lock nut and 2 to 4 threads below. So deck the block to square or zero deck for the pistons, deck the heads, change the valve job...new valves...
Now see if you can run an off the shelf push rod in there . Now some like comp list in increments of .050.. and could be seen as off the shelf 'though they are cutting them per order' ..but if you need one inbetween .050.. its custom cut. The cup come different sizes...according to the ball end dimension. That can be tight when matched..unlike the stock style with cereal bowls for cups..so not much oil is held. The adjusters arent pissing like the shaft is, the leak is tiny at the adjuster..its leaking oil. Psi loss..? not really. Measure it for us if you think can. Block the adjuster feet somehow and then see if you see an oil pressure game on your gauge. Good luck lol

Last edited:
"Off the shelf"....usually means stock.. that's why.
Stock springs
stock cam lift
stock rpms

Even with adjustable rocker arms...you want the correct length push rod to keep that adjuster in the range of 2 threads above the lock nut and 2 to 4 threads below. So deck the block to square or zero deck for the pistons, deck the heads, change the valve job...new valves...
Now see if you can run an off the shelf push rod in there . Now some like comp list in increments of .050.. and could be seen as off the shelf 'though they are cutting them per order' ..but if you need one inbetween .050.. its custom cut. The cup come different sizes...according to the ball end dimension. That can be tight when matched..unlike the stock style with cereal bowls for cups..so not much oil is held. The adjusters arent pissing like the shaft is, the leak is tiny at the adjuster..its leaking oil. Psi loss..? not really. Measure it for us if you think can. Block the adjuster feet somehow and then see if you see an oil pressure game on your gauge. Good luck lol
Not using stock or out of the box pushrods. Once we get the heads, we will measure for pushrod length and then submit the order. I was asked which setup I wanted which is why I posted my question here. Already decided against oil through an all parts have been ordered.

Thanks,
Bill

Not using stock or out of the box pushrods. Once we get the heads, we will measure for pushrod length and then submit the order. I was asked which setup I wanted which is why I posted my question here. Already decided against oil through an all parts have been ordered.

Thanks,
Bill
Awesome.
That was in response to the post above mine.Sorry for the confusion.

Awesome.
That was in response to the post above mine.Sorry for the confusion.
No confusion. Your post confirmed I was making the right decision. lol

I appreciate all responses as it helps me to validate I am heading in the right direction.

Thanks,
Bill

-
Back