Oil to top of motor

-

mocar

Reaction score
I am priming my 340 , have 60 psi on gauge but no oil bleeding off the rocker shafts,what am I doing wrong? The passenger side rocker shaft is off the head while priming motor.

the rockers get timed oil pressure, that means the camshaft oil port must line up with the rocker shaft passage, and that happens once every 2 crank rotations, or 1 camshaft rotation assuming you did not replace the cam bearings and not clock 'em correctly.

On a small block:
Turn the motor to 90* before top dead center coming up on #1 compression. The pass. side rockers should get oil.
Turn the motor to 20* after top dead center just past #6 compression. The drivers side rockers should get oil.

the rockers get timed oil pressure, that means the camshaft oil port must line up with the rocker shaft passage, and that happens once every 2 crank rotations, or 1 camshaft rotation assuming you did not replace the cam bearings and not clock 'em correctly.
Actually happens every crank rotation or twice per cam rotation.

If the oil does not come out at the angles that 70aarcuda gives you , just keep turning it slowly and you'll find the spots. The angles he cites are for a stock cam and not all aftermarket cams are drilled at the same angles.

If you hit the spot and don't have the rocker shaft on, it's gonna shoot across the garage at 60 psi on the gauge! Please post the video...

-
Back