oiling system mods

-

70wayfarer

Reaction score
are there any required or recommended oiling system mods needed for a 440/500 stroker. will be street strip and running a solid ft cam. only done one other bb and that was a fairly mild 383. cheers

Or for a roller cam for that matter!

are there any required or recommended oiling system mods needed for a 440/500 stroker. will be street strip and running a solid ft cam. only done one other bb and that was a fairly mild 383. cheers

You can run a big block as is without any mods for a street/strip type of engine. Only thing you really need to do is closely examine the oiling system to make sure it is free of flash or casting flaws. Run a reamer thru the passages to the main gallery, make sure the inlet opening on the oil pump is nice and clean, stuff like that. You can restrict the oil to the driver side lifter gallery if you want. Restricting that down to an 1/8th inch or so will give you a little bit of extra safety if a pushrod bends.

You can run a big block as is without any mods for a street/strip type of engine. Only thing you really need to do is closely examine the oiling system to make sure it is free of flash or casting flaws. Run a reamer thru the passages to the main gallery, make sure the inlet opening on the oil pump is nice and clean, stuff like that. You can restrict the oil to the driver side lifter gallery if you want. Restricting that down to an 1/8th inch or so will give you a little bit of extra safety if a pushrod bends.
cool, thanks Andy. have acquired most parts to get build under way. not got oil pump or mains bearings yet, any recommendations there.
in my search for parts i came across this.
Freeze Plug - Oil Galley Blockoff - Package of 1 - New-440 Source

Last edited:
traditionally, the BB mopar has had an issue with emptying the oil pan of oil prematurely in drag strip(1/4 mile) competition . To counteract that, the standard steps used were enlarged oil pans, swinging oil pickups, external lines, remote mounted oil filters, etc. I don't know if there is a "new" more effective way of dealing with it, today.

I don't know who drew this, but it's been passed around the internet for YEARS. It's a great drawing and all these mods have been done for decades. Last time I saw it, I snatched it and saved it. But Andy's right though. You can pretty much run as is, unless you plan on building a LOT of power and spinning a LOT of RPM.

BIG BLOCK OIL MODS.jpg

Here is an article I just did for the Hot Rod website: Dyno Tested: Does a Vacuum Pump Help Your Engine Make More Power? - Hot Rod Network

It is a low deck 470 that is making 775 hp at 7000 rpm. Oiling system in the block is stock. I'm running an external oil pump but the block is stock. Lifter bores are not bushed, no tubes, nothing drilled out, etc.

I remember as a kid reading a bunch of magazine articles where Mopar guys were putting tubes in the gallery or running plumbing inside the block and all kinds of stuff like that. They weren't making as much power as my engines make these days but they were doing all sorts of weird oil system stuff. In those days I just believed it was necessary since I assumed those "experts" knew what they were doing, but now I think those guys were nuts. All of that stuff went out of style years ago and it was probably all unnecessary.

There are only a couple of mods that might be necessary that I know of. One is to bush the lifter bores for high lift cams and/or to reduce oil flow thru the engine. The other one is to plug off the rocker oiling when using pushrod oiling.

There are only a couple of mods that might be necessary that I know of. One is to bush the lifter bores for high lift cams and/or to reduce oil flow thru the engine. The other one is to plug off the rocker oiling when using pushrod oiling
That makes sense. Thanks Andy

There are only a couple of mods that might be necessary that I know of. One is to bush the lifter bores for high lift cams and/or to reduce oil flow thru the engine. The other one is to plug off the rocker oiling when using pushrod oiling
what do you call high lift Andy. i have brodix b1 bs heads with 1.6 ratio rockers and was looking at mid 600's for lift.

what do you call high lift Andy. i have brodix b1 bs heads with 1.6 ratio rockers and was looking at mid 600's for lift.
----Me is interested too ! How much before their needed on the average ?

I can tell you that my mate's race Dart with 1/2" internal pick up system and approx 590hp motor lasted ok up to around 6600 trap rpm, soon as he started turning 6800>6900 it blew a rod out the side, many reasons for this but I suspect, without knowing exactly how much oil he ran in the sump it emptied it and starved a bearing?....go single line external would be my advice as I did in 1989 and your good to 7k in theory which is what he's done now with new 470 motor.

-
Back