OK.... Got my rods back from the machine shop.

-

Krooser

Building Chinese Free Engines since 1959...
Reaction score
Dropped my 340 rods off last October at one of the shops I use for machine work....no hurry to get them done. Picked them up today...resized, good bolts and balanced. Total cost $250.95.

They were done eight months ago but I was too busy to pick them up.

These guys built this engine 25 years ago...still have some records of the original build!

I was hoping to have four new pistons, too but the shop owner was not sure of the brand. He and I believe they are Ross but that outfit is tough to deal with. I tried to order them but they insisted I needed their laser engraved ID number...these were built in '93...no lasers.

I said I'd send them one to copy..gave a line about the new ones being 50 grams lighter. Don't care...I can balance them myself.

Anyway one of the shops customers may have a partial used set...same dome same application. Waiting to here from him. If I don't get a reply I'll call RaceTec...

I just bought some SCAT I-beam rods. Very nice rods and just over $300.00 65'

Get 8 new pistons and be done. Weight matching components isn't balancing. The complete rotating assemble needs to be checked. Crank, all rods including a bearing set, all pistons with pins and retainers including a ring set, the balancer, and flywheel.

Not a fan of most import rods. Yeah I know the Scat stuff is pretty good.

I kind of like having mostly Mopar parts in this engine...heads, block, billet crank, intake, rods. Plus my engine guy makes a little profit which keeps him in business, feeds the families of his help and contributes to the local economy.

This thing will live a good life again @7,000 rpms even with 40 year old parts.

Hopefully you paid 8 months ago when he finished his work on your rods so he didn't have to wait that long to get paid lol.

Hopefully you paid 8 months ago when he finished his work on your rods so he didn't have to wait that long to get paid lol.
I've been busy... he's been busy as heck. I paid for the work today... this is a good shop with plenty of work so that $250.00 didn't put the hurt in his wallet.

Get 8 new pistons and be done. Weight matching components isn't balancing. The complete rotating assemble needs to be checked. Crank, all rods including a bearing set, all pistons with pins and retainers including a ring set, the balancer, and flywheel.

The crank is balanced... the rods are balanced to the original bob weight when it was first built. If I get pistons that are a different weight the whole deal will get redone... this isn't my first build.

The crank is balanced... the rods are balanced to the original bob weight when it was first built. If I get pistons that are a different weight the whole deal will get redone... this isn't my first build.
Good to know. Pretty hard to tell by looking at my computer screen. I wish you luck with the pistons. The machine shop records probably weren't put on computer. That would be too easy then.

Good to know. Pretty hard to tell by looking at my computer screen. I wish you luck with the pistons. The machine shop records probably weren't put on computer. That would be too easy then.
He's got 3x5 cards from as far back as the 80's.... been around 40 years or so. All three outfits that do work for me are trusted veterans.

The counter guy told me two more area shops around him sold out over the winter... he had everything in the shop from a brand new high dollar wide bore GM block to a Cummins diesel to a two cylinder John Deere. He does a bunch of pulling engines, drag motors and circle track stuff... I'm surprised he hasn't retired since he's pushing that 65 number. Hopefully they have a plan of succession...

As far as the piston deal... if the guy with the used pistons doesn't make an appearance soon I'll call Randy at Racetec and get some new ones. These old ones only have 20 nights on them so I hate to have four orphans on the shelf.

Anyway one of the shops customers may have a partial used set...same dome same application. Waiting to here from him. If I don't get a reply I'll call RaceTec...
Or you buy a new set of 8, and let one of us have 4 of them to do a 170 ci slant 4. Block off half the cylinders in a 340.... like the Ponticc 'half-326' from 55 years ago... crank balance would be a bear though LOL

I have 3/4 of a set of high compression 4 banger pistons on the shelf from over 30 years ago... never found that missing 1/4 set.

I'm into using factory rods too when the performance window is good for them. Most that buy aftermarket do so only for the cost because they will never break a factory rod. Those choices are why those local shops are going away.

-
Back