ok parts people

-

RPM

Superior Member
Reaction score
I think I came up with a good idea for parts buyer/seller feedback. Most of you have seen my thread that I started for myself where people can go and comment on the purchases and dealings they have had with me. Now that I have a few on there.... I added that link to my signature. I highlighted it in red so that it will be on all my threads. This is the best way I can think of to find out who your dealing with... good .. or .. bad comments. If we keep threads like these just to comments of buyer/seller comments.... then we have what we have been looking for. Right ? I am going to test it with the thread linked in my signature.... should work well. What do you all think ??? Should all of us that are constantly selling buyin try this ? What ya think? I think it will deter some of the crap thats been going on here...and make ya feel better about possibly buying stuff. I still think that there should be a post limit before you can sell parts on here. 100 posts at least. Let me hear the comments.... and if all is good....lets make it work !!!

-RPM

That sounds like a great idea. Then there is a link right there for a potential buyer or seller to look at. Good thinking.

It sounds good in theory, but what happens when it gets up to 30 pages of names and deals good/bad etc? Are you going to scan through all of the pages looking for the guys name/handle to see if he's ever screwed anyone?

I agree with the 100 posts before you start selling. That always pisses me off when someone joins, and all they do is hock their parts or their $40k Hemi clone. This is a community of people helping each other, not making money off of each other.

"I have big boy pants" lol I rely on my spidey senses to tell me when something ain't right. It's worked pretty good so far!

I have been a member since May 2008 and I visit this site daily. I have only posted a few times so if I have something to sell I would not be able to do so?

I have been a member since May 2008 and I visit this site daily. I have only posted a few times so if I have something to sell I would not be able to do so?

Good point cruzin.

I don't think there is any one way to do this and not alienate someone, somehow. It's just wrong that some bad apples can spoil the bunch.

I do agree about people coming here to just sell and offer nothing else. If thats your MO then go to e-bay.

But in the end, live and let live. If someone does the right thing, I don't care how many post he/she has.

Great question.

I have a buddy who mostly NEVER gets on the web because he is so busy restoring cars for other people and tinkering on his own forever projects if he ever gets spare time.
Every now and then he posts a ton of great caches of parts and project cars for sale but people are sceptical because of a very low post count and see him as a possible "too good to be true" bullcrap peddler.

The only thing I can think of in this case is for another member or two to say a couple of words on his behalf to ease the scepticism.

well...its going to be on mine. You dont buy from e-bay without looking at the sellers percentage. If a consumer of my parts doesnt want to read it they dont have to. You can always use your pants, senses, crystal ball to help you make the decision. Its just a tool that will be there :-D

As far as the 100 posts thing. Here are my thoughts on that.
Maybe it will help people to put 100 post on. :)
But I understand that being a member for a long time counts. So thats a easy fix. 100 posts and "X" amount of time. This just basically (like has been said) might ward off the hit and runs.

Its all a subjective and touchy subject. Just trying to come up with ideas to make it easier.

-RPM

I have not been on in a few days and when I am it's just to fallow up on a post I have made lately, If it keeps those bad guy sellers taking advantage of our members I am all for it RPM I like your idea :read2:

I like your idea RPM. I can see members using it.

However I don't like some people's suggestion to require 100 posts before someone can sell parts. Frankly if some people comes here only to sell parts, it doesn't bother me. They may be selling something I need and otherwise I might not find that part. Just because a person visits the site only to sell parts doesn't automatically make them a bad person.

The link to the good guy thread is a good idea but as it was mentioned before what happens when that thread is 30 pages long. You could link it to a poll then people could just glance at the percentages on the poll and if they wanted to then they could go through the posts later.

The poll thing linked to the thread is also a good idea. As far as the 30 pages of posts.... I guess that if you have to read that far into the posts... to see if you will deal with that person.... is entirely up to the individual. I am most certain that after reading a few posts from the first few pages and maybe skipping around a couple other pages I would have a good idea of the kind of person I am buying parts from. By all means is no one required to read 30 pages to make up there mind... lol. The idea is just a point of reference. After you deal with one person a few times... you dont go back and look at the references you just pretty much know how the deal will go.
Keeping in mind that "BAD" comments will also be on the reference thread so by adding a thread like that shows that the seller is willing to take lumps when needed. I like the ideas on here.. this is good. As far as the 100 post /time limit for members. I am not even sure this site will allow Joey or whoever to set it up like that. When dealing with low posters, newer members... just use disgretion and common sense and cross your fingers ! These are just my ideas (and some of yours) if ya dont like them... by all means keep on keeping on. If you do like them... feel free to use them.

-RPM

I like it Scott! I liked it before and you keep improving on it, so all's good.

But having all such "feedback threads" in one place for easy reference would be terrific too.

For example, WE know you have your feedback thread everyone who's dealt with you can add a comment to ... but say Joe Duster Newbie buys a starter, loves how the deal worked out, and then posts his own Good Guy Alert about you rather than adding his comment to your thread. You'll have to track down all of those kind of feedback comments and add links from each separate Good Guy Alert to your main feedback thread. It's time consuming for sure, and with the site growing in leaps and bounds it's getting really tough around here to keep up with everything.

I have my PSC Feedback page on my website with dozens of FABO reviews included but there's no way I've got ALL of them on there. It's just too much to try to keep up with. Having a "one-stop shopping" thread where everyone can contribute would be sweet and save The Webmistress a lot of time ... but getting everyone to cooperate would be the tough part. LOL

I'm not trying to toss a wrench into the idea, but more trying to figure out how to keep the feedback threads accessible, obvious to everyone, and keep related posts together instead of wearing out the Search key. What would be awesome is to have a separate Forum section -- maybe in the For Sale Section -- for all feedback threads like the one you started. Easy to find, easy to use, and easy to add to.

And who really cares if the thread reaches thirty pages??? If there's somebody on the site who has thirty+ pages of feedback, chances are good it won't be full of bad commentary. I'd rather have ten "ho hummmm, yeah yeah Leanna did more great work" comments than none at all.

Just an idea, but is there a way that something can be linked to their profile? Have a way that if something is bought from someone they visit their profile and get to vote on how the deal went. After they vote have a little bar chart showing the response under there avatar. This would allow people to see at a quick glance what kind of feedback weather positive or negative without having to do a lot of research on the seller. It could also help the seller in knowing if the buyer is reliable in following through also.

The same thing could be done with buyers, how fast they get the payments out, if they get something then complain that it isn't what they thought it was and want a full refund and the buyer to pay to ship it back, but I guess that isn't as big of a problem.

Major cudos to RPM for not only recognizing a problem many of us face, but trying to come up with real, workable solutions. Now if only our politicians could follow suit... :cheers:

i think we should atleast have a minimum post count and membership time as well...thats how it is on other sites i visit too...works good like that

at the end of the day though i think its pretty easy to determine who is scum and who is not when it comes to buying and selling...whenever i sell, i write like its a formal letter, or try to, and i include pictures of anything asked (i know id wanna see the same as well)...whenever people have horrible grammar, dont put their names, refuse to put pictures or just dont reply to putting some up, it all seems fishy to me and i can tell write away that if they dont seem like a "nice" person they probably arent...sucks to generalize, but when my money is on the line, i could care less if i am

how about the friendly nudge approach? if you see someone selling something and you have dealt with them in the past with good results just give them a "good seller" or something like that and bump there ad to the top of the list

-
Back