OK What the....??????

-
Yep, they've been making those Chevy SB 383's for years now....

DAMN! I thought that Chevy only drempt of making a "383"......

Thanks guys, how long has that been made? Realistically?

AND I didn't read into it, but a stroker, or a regular "car" engine upon order? Hows that work?

THANKS! but, but BUT, I hate Chevy...........bastards!

Don't mean to blow your mind but Chrysler made a 350 back in '58.

I've heard of them as far back as the 80's...

They could have been made longer than that though...

I don't think the 383 was ever offered in anything. But the 496 which is a stroked 454 comes in larger trucks. Like wreckers and such.

I put a 400 crank in a 350 block for my short bed Chebby truck back in 1989.

Yep, lots of Chevy 383 strokers out there. Funniest one I heard was a "friend" say, "Dodge has a 383? Why would they copy a Chevy engine?

AND I didn't read into it, but a stroker, or a regular "car" engine upon order? Hows that work?

Dang, what rock have you been living under to have never heard of a chevy 383 .....seriously Jegs makes mention of them all day by way of chebbie parts listings and such.

If you run chebbie that would be a strong consideration .......you ever seen one run ....Holy cow they run, no doubt about that. And NO I am NOT a chebbie person.

decades

hell i thought you were upset about the $6800 price tag knowing that mopar (anti-enthusiast bastards) would be asking double that for a motor like that. :)

Nephew had a 383 stroker in a '69 Camaro, and it was a monster. Don't see the deal on inches. Several manufacturers have produced same inch motors. Ford and Chevy 302's, and all three had 400 inch motors, come to mind. When you start boring and stroking, you're libel to come up with anything. First one I remember was punching a 283 Chevy 60 over to 292, (Ford engine at the time) I have one sitting in my shop right now, 40 over, and if I calculate correctly, that make it a 289, another Ford number.

Neighbor just put a 383 Chebbie in a Rolls Royce, complete with a Rustang tubular K-member and associated underpinnings. He keeps telling me he wants a wheel stander and I don't have the heart to tell him, the wheelbase is about 3 feet too long.

My local machinist quoted me a price of just over $1100 for all the parts and machine work on the short block for a 383 stroker I quoted out for a customer a couple of years ago.

One of the things that makes 'em popular with the Chevy crowd. Cheap to build, cheap to break.

Yep, lots of Chevy 383 strokers out there. Funniest one I heard was a "friend" say, "Dodge has a 383? Why would they copy a Chevy engine?

heard 3 highschool kids standing in front of a beautiful 70 roadrunner say "whats a 383'? well you ever hear of an 383 stroker', 'ya' well thats what it is" cracked me up

I put a SBC 383 together for a friend. Looked at the clearance between the cam lobes and connecting rods and took it apart, sold the crank, and put it back together as a 350.

If I was even thinkin about a chevy 383, I'd just build a SB 400 and be done with it. The chevy boys get too caught up in the rod ratio thing. It really doesn't matter. But kyoobs does.

I don't worry at all about all this stuff. The only thing that DOES piss me off is if I mention a 383 and some 'chivvy' guy immediately assumes I'm talking about a 383 stroker instead of a native 383

To add to the list, don't forget that "we" were boring 283s out to 302 long before Ford made them

-
Back