Ok, who is going to build up the ultimate cheapo 5.9?

-

gregsdart

Reaction score
I opened my fat mouth on another post, about a cheapo 5.9 buildup. My project went crazy/408 striker when I found out it needed an overbore, so someone else needs (or has!) To do it?
Here is my recipe for the ultimate in cheap power. Take one good running 5.9 Magnum, add a small cam , Thermoquad carb and stock cast iron manifold. One optional item would have to be a cross wind intake if the stock heads are still serviceable. Lets splurge and allow new valve springs, headers, and a little bit of home porting, limited to a bowl blend and valve job. If the heads prove to be cracked, use EQs. Use a .028 head gasket also. Add a boneyard LA type recurved distributor. I think that would be a well rounded package that ought to make real decent power. Also, in keeping with the elcheapo theme, the cam must work well with a stock converter! Think it will make 375 hp?
I do! It would be great to see what the synod would say, and favor could start a motor rrecipe archive.

Last edited:
Iirc, been done. Mopar Action mag a few years ago.

It has been done and I have it in my Dart. :D
90k 5.9 =$500
New oil pump and pickup =$40
New car oil pan =$60
EQ LA pattern heads with Hughes valve gear = $1000
Edelbrock dual plane intake = $60
Edelbrock 1406 600cfm =$40
Hedman aluminized 1 5/8 long tubes = $200
Oregon Cams roller 214/224 = $150
Roller timing set = $40
Plus gaskets and oil

About $2,200= 400hp/400tq with a single plane and Holley 750.
I figure about 50 or so HP loss with my intake and carb.

Stage 2 shift kitted Dakota overdrive trans with converter lockup and 2.73 rear gears.
2,100 RPM's at 80mph and over 25mpg hiway.

Who cares what it gets in town.:D

OH, almost forgot you guys like pictures or it didn't happen, right? :D

Motor.jpg

DSCF0004.JPG

ready.jpg

MagnumswapLA.jpg

A500OD.jpg

ShifterArt.jpg

73Swinger.jpg

Last edited:
Good build! If stock valvetrain and a TQ carb/ manifold were used, it should be close in performance.did you do any special work to the heads?

Good build! If stock valvetrain and a TQ carb/ manifold were used, it should be close in performance.did you do any special work to the heads?

Nope, stock EQ 1.92 valves and the Hughes 1110 springs with 2.2L style retainers and locks to allow over .500 lift safely.

90k 5.9 =$500
New car oil pan =$60
Roller timing set = $40
Plus gaskets and oil

Stage 2 shift kitted Dakota overdrive trans with converter lockup and 2.73 rear gears.

View attachment 1715055441

View attachment 1715055443

View attachment 1715055444

View attachment 1715055450

View attachment 1715055451

View attachment 1715055452

View attachment 1715055453
46rh trans?

So what transmission is that exactly? I am intrigued.

sb

95 Dakota 42RH (A500) in the hydraulic controlled year range.
OD and lockup are fully automatic controlled with adjustable pressure switches so I can set their engagement speeds.
The switches on the shifter base just make it so either or both can be disabled.
Otherwise it's fully automatic with OD coming in at 50mph and lockup at 70.
So for example, if I don't want OD coming on until a higher speed I can turn it off until I get to that speed. (same with lockup)

That is nice. Lots of mods to the trans tunnel/cross member to put it in there? Seems like something that would really be good for daily use.

sb

90k 5.9 =$500
New car oil pan =$60
Roller timing set = $40
Plus gaskets and oil

View attachment 1715055441

View attachment 1715055443

View attachment 1715055444

View attachment 1715055450

View attachment 1715055451

View attachment 1715055452

View attachment 1715055453
Just sayin-----------I really like this build! A great fit-up of matched parts to a really nice car. Kudos to you-------------:)

That is nice. Lots of mods to the trans tunnel/cross member to put it in there? Seems like something that would really be good for daily use.

sb

Sorry guys, I lost my darn reading glasses and had to go get new ones before I came back.
Zero mods to the tunnel, but I did make a new trans mount crossmember.
It was easy actually, since I have the spool type mount I just cut the center out of the crossmember and used the two bolted ends.
Basically just came straight down and toward the center of the car with each section of plate welded to the two ends and then turned straight down about the same distance apart as the spool mount, drilled the bolt hole through them and reinforced the holes with a 3/4x1/8 washer on each side.

The auto shifting of OD and lockup were the fun part.
I ran a 3/8 Rhino coated trans cooler line from the governor port up the back of the trans to the back of the intake.
There is a T mounted on a bracket where the two pressure switches are for easy access speed adjustments.
When the governor reaches about 50psi the switch closes activating a relay that closes the solenoid in the trans causing the shift.
The switches inside the car interrupt the relay grounds to disable OD and/or those shifts.
I also have a vacuum switch inline on the ground for lockup so when the manifold vacuum drops to a settable level it kicks out lockup.
Basically a vacuum activated kickdown for lockup to OD.
It took a little thought to lay it all out and get the right parts but it worked out great and has been flawless for a few years so far.

Just sayin-----------I really like this build! A great fit-up of matched parts to a really nice car. Kudos to you-------------:)

Thank you very much.
I took it to a car show recently and a guy that knew what he was seeing asked who did the work, and when I told him I am the only person that ever touches the car he acted like he didn't believe me.:D
Whatever, right?
The thing is just a blast to drive, especially on long trips.

Do you mean a cheapie 360 buildup thread, similar to 318willrun's $400 318 thread?

I just found a 360la with roller cam on craigslist in Sacramento for around $300. If I had a truck to get it, that would not give much wiggle room for building, if I couldn't get the guy to come down on price.

Do you mean a cheapie 360 buildup thread, similar to 318willrun's $400 318 thread?

I just found a 360la with roller cam on craigslist in Sacramento for around $300. If I had a truck to get it, that would not give much wiggle room for building, if I couldn't get the guy to come down on price.
Good point but I think for the sake of the thread, the basic idea of it all, the cost of obtaining the engine should be dropped. You could mention it of course!

I was lucky to get mine from my daughters truck when she moved onto a car instead. Free? Kind of....

Some people get stuff given to them. Sometimes it is ridiculously cheap.
Sometimes it comes from an old ride.
Should you be charged in the vehicles total price? It doesn't always add up right. Suppose your old '98 Durango is getting beyond repair/cost effectiveness levels. You brought it new. Should THAT engine be billed as a $17,500 engine because that is what the Durango costed new?

I could not use the 2.2 retainers with the Hughes 1110 springs. Way too much slop. Had to buy the Hughes retainers too.

I got the Hughes retainers as part of the set from them and was under the impression they were just stock 2.2 retainers.
Is that not the case?

Good point but I think for the sake of the thread, the basic idea of it all, the cost of obtaining the engine should be dropped. You could mention it of course!

I was lucky to get mine from my daughters truck when she moved onto a car instead. Free? Kind of....

Some people get stuff given to them. Sometimes it is ridiculously cheap.
Sometimes it comes from an old ride.
Should you be charged in the vehicles total price? It doesn't always add up right. Suppose your old '98 Durango is getting beyond repair/cost effectiveness levels. You brought it new. Should THAT engine be billed as a $17,500 engine because that is what the Durango costed new?

I got lucky on mine because my Brother insisted on buying the motor for me.
He was making up for a few indiscretions on his part when we were younger and he trashed one of my cars while I was gone on a motorcycle trip for a month.
He wouldn't accept no for an answer so I kinda got thrown into the build.
My old 318 that came in the car was starting to get tired and smoked a little at stops, so actually it was pretty good timing.

I got the Hughes retainers as part of the set from them and was under the impression they were just stock 2.2 retainers.
Is that not the case?
I started with a set of 2.2 retainers and the Hughes springs were just swimming inside the retainers. Not the same.

I started with a set of 2.2 retainers and the Hughes springs were just swimming inside the retainers. Not the same.
Correct, not even close.. Buy the springs and retainers , to match here... The time chasing it down, doesn't make sen$e anymore...

I'm in Fairfield and looking for my first 360LA to build on a budget. It would be great if anyone here can point me toward one in the area. I'll travel for the right deal.

-
Back