Let's put a mild 8.2:1 360 on the dyno.

-

IQ52

Reaction score
So, If you take a '74 360 short block and put 675 318 heads on it that have 1.88/160 360 valves, do some throat work to the heads (184 cfm @ .400" lift), use an Edelbrock Performer 318-360 dual plane intake, a Holley 1850-5 4160 carburetor, Comp 260H cam and stock 340 valve springs, $130 set of Summit headers, slap that puppy on the dyno, break it in and with no tuning, you could end up with something like this.

RPM.............TQ/HP

2500...........355/169
2600...........349/173
2700...........349/179
2800...........351/187
2900...........363/201
3000...........366/209
3100...........367/217
3200...........362/220
3300...........361/227
3400...........361/233
3500...........363/242
3600...........362/247
3700...........359/253
3800...........362/262
3900...........361/268
4000...........360/274
4100...........353/276
4200...........346/277
4300...........343/281
4400...........339/284
4500...........332/285
4600...........334/293
4700...........327/293
4800...........325/297
4900...........316/295
5000...........304/290
5100...........296/288
5200...........290/287

Not setting the world on fire, but interesting.

Shame you didn't slam some magnum heads on that. I had an 8.2:1 360 with a kind of worn short block and that thing really ran. Probably 25-30 more hp than this. Still not too bad there.

So do you have future plans or changes to try with this on the dyno ?
Thanks for sharing !!!
I really enjoy your real world dyno runs !!

Aside from the 318 heads and the Holley - that's my truck's engine. I've got the 360 heads and a 750 Edelbrock on it. It'll push an 8' blade up a 15% grade with 18" of snow in front of it. Sounds pretty good too... mainly because the exhaust rotted off it...lol.

Shame you didn't slam some magnum heads on that. I had an 8.2:1 360 with a kind of worn short block and that thing really ran. Probably 25-30 more hp than this. Still not too bad there.

Shame? I don't understand. I have Magnum heads and I wanted these on there. It goes in an '85 pickup where the owner blew up his 318.

So do you have future plans or changes to try with this on the dyno ?
Thanks for sharing !!!
I really enjoy your real world dyno runs !!

Jim, tomorrow it gets a smaller cam.

stock hi compression Dart 340's were only 275 h.p. and with gears and a converter were very quick on the street.
..300 hp and 350 ft.lbs in a light A body is just fine!

Jim - It's perfect for a truck. I work mine, but it runs the brakes well, and pulls the truck around just fine (modified 1ton, twin D60s, 4.10s & 31s). It will spin all four wheels with Mud Terrains on them...lol.

That's a pretty flat torque line, you think it'll pick up
even more with the new cam and some tune?
That motor with a 2200 stall and 3:55 gear would be
perfect in an abody.
A 4.10 gear and it would perfect for a work truck
and crazy quick in a street car.

Jim - It's perfect for a truck. I work mine, but it runs the brakes well, and pulls the truck around just fine (modified 1ton, twin D60s, 4.10s & 31s). It will spin all four wheels with Mud Terrains on them...lol.

Once you build one you get some confidence in the 360. It takes a motor to pull around a 1ton 4x4.

Real nice Jim.

Thanks Rob.

That's a pretty flat torque line, you think it'll pick up
even more with the new cam and some tune?
That motor with a 2200 stall and 3:55 gear would be
perfect in an abody.
A 4.10 gear and it would perfect for a work truck
and crazy quick in a street car.

We aim to find out today how the smaller cam reacts. Just something we want to know as we've stuck to mostly high performance experiments in the past.

Thanks for sharing

You are most welcome.

stock hi compression Dart 340's were only 275 h.p. and with gears and a converter were very quick on the street.
..300 hp and 350 ft.lbs in a light A body is just fine!
275 was way under rated. That number was all buttoned up at the factory to meet the emission standards etc. and make the cars insurable. 275 at what RPM? Real numbers on these were 300-320.

I think if most of the non race car drivers on here
would build high torque motors instead of lumpy
don't come on till 3500 rpm motors, they would be
a lot more happy.
400 fp of torque is big block grunt in a usable range.
I hope you come up with a formula that can accomplish this
and can be easily repeatable for the average joe.

Nice numbers!
Just last week I ditched the 2bbl intake infavor for a 4bbl Edelbrock intake on my 8.6 cr 318, and was very surprised about the low/mid-range change in power and throttle response.
I would've never thought that this little engine could wake up that much from a simple intake change.

I'm now thinking of fabbing some homemade shorty headers for it.

The formula is easy: Buy what you honestly need, not what you want. That's why in a lot of cases I ask "why *** horsepower", or "what cars have [they] driven". Most people think they need more than they do, becuase the basic combos they have are so misunderstood and poorly tuned. One of the best take-aways from IQs dyno postings should be that: Match what you want to what you need, educate yourself to how to make these antiques run properly, and the results are there.

275 was way under rated. That number was all buttoned up at the factory to meet the emission standards etc. and make the cars insurable. 275 at what RPM? Real numbers on these were 300-320.

Steve Dulcich rebuilt a '69 340 to factory stock specs including the stock 535 cfm carter carb and it dynode a max of 281 hp through manifolds.
he continued to add aftermarket pieces and a 750 carb alone jumped the hp to a little over 300.
i have no first hand dyno numbers myself,but with cam and other changes he ended up at 392hp

The formula is easy: Buy what you honestly need, not what you want. That's why in a lot of cases I ask "why *** horsepower", or "what cars have [they] driven". Most people think they need more than they do, becuase the basic combos they have are so misunderstood and poorly tuned. One of the best take-aways from IQs dyno postings should be that: Match what you want to what you need, educate yourself to how to make these antiques run properly, and the results are there.

It's just to easy to make power now days especially once you get into power adders, eyes bigger than your belly type thing. Just a simple 4 bbl, mild cam, headers duals and some decent gears can you pretty far without spending a lot of $$$$$$$. Unless it's a race car 10 to 1 power ratio is a decent and easily attainable goal with just about any SB long block.

P.S. IQ52 keep up the good work showing they don't need to go crazy to get good resaults, to many people on here like spending others money, somebody ask about a simple cam swap for some extra power and next thing they got them talked into almost rebuilding there engine or swap it out. Leaving most discouraged.

Steve Dulcich rebuilt a '69 340 to factory stock specs including the stock 535 cfm carter carb and it dynode a max of 281 hp through manifolds.
he continued to add aftermarket pieces and a 750 carb alone jumped the hp to a little over 300.
i have no first hand dyno numbers myself,but with cam and other changes he ended up at 392hp

I think I remember reading that article. I have also seen dyno reports that shows them making north of 320 hp in stock form so I guess it's a case of what are ya gonna believe

The formula is very easy. The hard part is the person's head you're trying to explain it too.

All they want is a Thumpr cam.

That motor represents what probably over 95% of people want and they don't even know it. That kinda torque on the bottom end would slap obliterate tires with decent gears and you just cannot tell people that no matter how hard you try.

Ask me how I know. LOL

The formula is very easy. The hard part is the person's head you're trying to explain it too.

All they want is a Thumpr cam.

That motor represents what probably over 95% of people want and they don't even know it. That kinda torque on the bottom end would slap obliterate tires with decent gears and you just cannot tell people that no matter how hard you try.

Ask me how I know. LOL

That exactly is what I'm trying to get across.
IQ52's builds are explained, documented and repeatable for all to see.
He's teaching the home builder that will never be able to afford a professional, how to come up with usable power that "IF" they could get it to hook in a car would probably scare the **** out of them.
There is no real need to rev past 5500rpm in a street car,
parts don't live long past that.

Torque is king on the street.

IQ52 is a king for sharing!

That exactly is what I'm trying to get across.
IQ52's builds are explained, documented and repeatable for all to see.
He's teaching the home builder that will never be able to afford a professional,
how to come up with usable power that "IF" they could hook it in a car would
probably scare the **** out of them.
Torque is king on the street.

IQ52 is a king for sharing!

Yes sir, it is. The enemies are all the magazines and forums talkin about ultra high horse power, turbo this and stroker that everything. You simply don't have to do all that to have a car that will slap get with it and no mater how hard you try, you cannot get that across to these young guys who wouldn't know 500 horse power if it ran over them.

-
Back