Let's put a mild 8.2:1 360 on the dyno.

-
Now for the final act of madness with the 360.

Finished the dyno runs Friday and the owner had to have the truck Saturday. So my son was forced to take his Saturday, come to the shop and do the R&R.

Have a sign on the shop entrance.

Shop labor rate $60/hr
You watch $90/hr
You help $120/hr

The owner thought he was going to help and the R&R would be FREE!

I said, "If you are that good of a helper that my son and the shop are worth nothing, I'm firing him, locking the shop doors and you can take your truck and engine and install everything in your front yard." Would have loved to watch him figure out where to weld the 360 external balance weights on his 318 torque converter.

He drove off stone faced angry driving his 360 powered 4x4 because I made him pay for the removal of the old 318 and the installation of the 360.

Never even got a 'thank you' after buying his lunch.

Ah... the world we work in.

I used to own a shop. People have gotten so bad that I now am a fleet mechanic and do not do outside work at all. Not even family.

Saturday should have been time and a half plus beer! Average Joe public IS AN *** HOLE!

WOW! That guy is a used *** wipe aint he?!?!?!?!

Now for the final act of madness with the 360.

Finished the dyno runs Friday and the owner had to have the truck Saturday. So my son was forced to take his Saturday, come to the shop and do the R&R.

Have a sign on the shop entrance.

Shop labor rate $60/hr
You watch $90/hr
You help $120/hr

The owner thought he was going to help and the R&R would be FREE!

I said, "If you are that good of a helper that my son and the shop are worth nothing, I'm firing him, locking the shop doors and you can take your truck and engine and install everything in your front yard." Would have loved to watch him figure out where to weld the 360 external balance weights on his 318 torque converter.

He drove off stone faced angry driving his 360 powered 4x4 because I made him pay for the removal of the old 318 and the installation of the 360.

Never even got a 'thank you' after buying his lunch.

I Like your stuff too, and it puts onto paper what I learned in the very early 70's.
I had a Junkyard 340 short block, that I took in trade for a job I did. The fellow had a teener and a hard on for the X heads and 340 cam. So, after I got done with his project, I got all the leftover parts. I put his teener heads onto that 340(now mine), and his cam kit in it. Then I topped it off with his teener 2bbl,and dropped it all into a 65 Valiant station wagon, with fenderwell headers.
Well you allready know where this is going.
That junkyard dog 340, had a loud bark and a really big street bite. It was essentially a big-bore teener with a bit of a Dcr kick. It is one of my favorite stories and I have many fond memories of it. I was still motoring around in it when I met my wife-to-be.
So, I know that it doesn't take much of a cam to make a really nice streeter . And you have, and continue to, prove it.
Kudus to you; and a great big thank you for publishing it here for all the world to see, and hopefully, more than a few fellas will rethink their projects.

Nice build. I saw some dyno sheets from a guy with a 360 with cast pistons Air gap man, 750 DP and a mild street hydraulic and tidied up J heads that made fantastic power - over 400 FT LBs at 3500 then flat as until 5500 or so. I've come to LA engines after a life time of Ford Cleveland and Windsor and I have to say I'm impressed with what can be achieved on a working mans budget.
Cheers
Tony

6526471-3671stpull001%202_zpsyuf2wddg.jpg

WOW! That guy is a used *** wipe aint he?!?!?!?!

Worked ,in a speed,/machine shop....Saw more of this,than you would guess.. Also saw explicit directions given on lubrication/filtering & tuning...(was ignored,they hurt the engine..Gee,what a surprise..)

I've come to LA engines after a life time of Ford Cleveland and Windsor and I have to say I'm impressed with what can be achieved on a working mans budget.

Thats the glory of the chrysler product!

Hysteric

^^^It looks weird ,compared to Chev… Mopar has some interesting ideas,that work. Stock equipment works really well,stick to the basics....IQ52 's threads,are simply truth of that...

Actually, the 351C was one of the easiest engines to get good TQ and HP from back in the day. The stock intake flows were far and above better than any other SB on the market at the time, and the 1.73 rocker ratio made getting a lot of lift very easy. But they never were around the in massive numbers that the 360's and 318's are, and are getting too rare anymore to be the go-to motor.

Pretty much the sbm is just a Cam and compression away from 400 hp and 450 with heads work.

Nice build. I saw some dyno sheets from a guy with a 360 with cast pistons Air gap man, 750 DP and a mild street hydraulic and tidied up J heads that made fantastic power - over 400 FT LBs at 3500 then flat as until 5500 or so. I've come to LA engines after a life time of Ford Cleveland and Windsor and I have to say I'm impressed with what can be achieved on a working mans budget.
Cheers
Tony

If they had the carb cleaned up down low the tq numbers would have been higher. 10:1 A/F is just killing the rings and plugs in that poor thing.

Are you saying it's running rich!?!?

LMAO!

Actually, the 351C was one of the easiest engines to get good TQ and HP from back in the day. The stock intake flows were far and above better than any other SB on the market at the time, and the 1.73 rocker ratio made getting a lot of lift very easy. But they never were around the in massive numbers that the 360's and 318's are, and are getting too rare anymore to be the go-to motor.

Plenty of Clevelands here in Australia but the frustrating thing is the thin wall cylinders. I look at 2v Cleveland ports then can't for the life of me work out how these LA engines can make any power at all LOL.
Cheers

I look at 2v Cleveland ports then can't for the life of me work out how these LA engines can make any power at all LOL.
Cheers

Chryslers are long rod engines so they dont need to be as big.

Hysteric

Cheers
Tony

6526471-3671stpull001%202_zpsyuf2wddg.jpg

I built this example. It was 1.94" 1.6" 11/32" Chev valves in the heads. J.Rob

stock hi compression Dart 340's were only 275 h.p. and with gears and a converter were very quick on the street.
..300 hp and 350 ft.lbs in a light A body is just fine!
275 advertised for insurance purposes, I saw a Dyno pull of a 70 340 stock, highly tuned was 300 hp
Another member stated that he had a discussion with a Chrysler engineer who stated that it was 320 hp

275 advertised for insurance purposes, I saw a Dyno pull of a 70 340 stock, highly tuned was 300 hp
Another member stated that he had a discussion with a Chrysler engineer who stated that it was 320 hp
Holy 6 year old thread resurrection Batman! Still fun to talk about. let's see if it turns in to a brawl! :lol:

Plenty of Clevelands here in Australia but the frustrating thing is the thin wall cylinders. I look at 2v Cleveland ports then can't for the life of me work out how these LA engines can make any power at all LOL.
Cheers
Velocity!

-
Back